grdb was 11MB, now just 5,5MB

Duncan Lithgow
I've been doing various things to make sure I've got rid of some
corrupted databases and keeping them separate from the clean db's. What
I think is very odd is that my clean database loses half its size just
by exporting to XML and reimporting.

database-clean.grdb          11.6 MB
database-clean_xml.gramps   260.3 MB
database-clean_2.grdb         5.5 MB

What's going on?

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: grdb was 11MB, now just 5,5MB

Don Allingham
Duncan,

This is not terribly surprising, nor is it anything to worry about.

A database is not a flat file format. It is edited in place, not read
then rewritten like most non-database files. Data is in fixed locations
in the file so that it can be found quickly. As you edit, data must
sometimes be moved around.

Say for example, the database has allocated 2K of data for a person
record. You go in and add a 3K long note. Obviously, this isn't going to
fit in the same location, so it must be moved. The old allocated space
may not be easily reclaimed. So the db must grow in size.

When you import a clean database, all sizes are known up front, so the
database can allocate the space it needs for each record.

So, what you are seeing is normal database operation, and nothing to
worry about.

Don

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 15:05 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> I've been doing various things to make sure I've got rid of some
> corrupted databases and keeping them separate from the clean db's. What
> I think is very odd is that my clean database loses half its size just
> by exporting to XML and reimporting.
>
> database-clean.grdb          11.6 MB
> database-clean_xml.gramps   260.3 MB
> database-clean_2.grdb         5.5 MB
>
> What's going on?
>
> Duncan

Re: grdb was 11MB, now just 5,5MB

Martin Hawlisch
Duncan,

> Von: Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>
>
> database-clean.grdb          11.6 MB
> database-clean_xml.gramps   260.3 MB
> database-clean_2.grdb         5.5 MB

Just to be sure, export the database-clean_2.grdb again into xml, and compare that to the first xml export ;-)

Cheers, Martin.

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:16 +0100, Martin Hawlisch wrote:

> Just to be sure, export the database-clean_2.grdb again into xml, and compare that to the first xml export ;-)

Thanks for the help with that, sure enough everything seems to be fine.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk