help and/or consulting services for Gramps

help and/or consulting services for Gramps

Charles Cresswell

Hi,

I’m creating huge problems for myself. I seem to have an underlying version of my family tree open, and cannot load my accurate tree. I just spent  weeks starting from the beginning to bring to accuracy my tree after I bungled 6 weeks ago. Today I thought I had the problem solved, but seem to be back in trouble again. I would like a recommendation for Gramps consulting services so that I can understand the problem I’m creating, fix it, and proceed. My Gramps data file that I now cannot open is about 682 MB.

Thanks

Charles W. Cresswell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: help and/or consulting services for Gramps

Dave Scheipers
Hi Charles,

I do not know if I will be able to help you but to be able to help
please give us a little more information. The Gramps "consulting
services" are other users with most of the more knowledgeable help
coming from the developers.

Which version of Gramps are you using?
Were all your databases created using gramps? Which version.
When you say you cannot open your 'accurate tree', are there any error messages?
Can you actually see the database in the Manager Family Trees? Is
there any icon in the Status column?

Any other information, the more the better, that may shed light on the issue?
When you say 'bungled', is it something more than data manipulation
that may have 'damaged' the database?

I know this has not yet helped you, but more information will help us help you.

Dave

On 05/22/2018 05:14 PM, Charles Cresswell wrote:

Hi,

I’m creating huge problems for myself. I seem to have an underlying version of my family tree open,

What does that mean?

and cannot load my accurate tree. I just spent  weeks starting from the beginning to bring to accuracy my tree after I bungled 6 weeks ago. Today I thought I had the problem solved, but seem to be back in trouble again.

Was it accurate at some point in those 6 weeks, and then you did something wrong, or have you just realized that you've been Doing It Wrong the whole time?

I would like a recommendation for Gramps consulting services so that I can understand the problem I’m creating, fix it, and proceed. My Gramps data file that I now cannot open

What version?

What error message(s)?

is about 682 MB.

Wow.  At just under 10K people, my grampsdb directory is only 82MB!  (That doesn't include images.)