how and where to store a pdf document

Wybo Dekker
If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
it visible in the individual's record?

Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
galleries, sources, et cetera?

--
Wybo

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

Gerald Britton-2
You can store it wherever you find convenient.  Many users create a
media folder and a simple hierarchy within it to store their
documents.  Once you have saved your file there, from gramps go to the
media tab and add a new item.  In the dialog, navigate to your file.
(Gramps does not store your file in its database, but instead keeps
the path to it).  Once you save your new media item, you can link it
to sources, events, people, etc. in the gallery tabs.  Just click on
the little hand icon (not the '+') icon to find the media item you
just added.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Wybo Dekker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
> I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
> it visible in the individual's record?
>
> Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
> galleries, sources, et cetera?
>
> --
> Wybo

Gerald Britton

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

Martin Ewing
I have thought that this is a bit of a weakness with Gramps:

1. Relying on some kinds of data (media) that are "outside" the Gramps db.  There is a lot of potential for confusion and loss as the db is moved or archived.  Does the data go along or not?

2. Not having a more general concept than media-gallery-images.  I would like to incorporate any kind of document into the db, with an appropriate viewer/editor, and associate it with any entity -- maybe a generalized "notes" capability.  I know this gets complicated for pdf, doc, and audio/video files -- you to be sure you have apps able to open such files.

If enough people were interested, we could think about proposing new features along these lines.

Martin

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
> I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
> it visible in the individual's record?
>
> Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
> galleries, sources, et cetera?
>
> --
> Wybo

Gerald Britton

Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

Nick Hall-6

On 11/05/11 17:45, Martin Ewing wrote:
I have thought that this is a bit of a weakness with Gramps:

1. Relying on some kinds of data (media) that are "outside" the Gramps db.  There is a lot of potential for confusion and loss as the db is moved or archived.  Does the data go along or not?

2. Not having a more general concept than media-gallery-images.  I would like to incorporate any kind of document into the db, with an appropriate viewer/editor, and associate it with any entity -- maybe a generalized "notes" capability.  I know this gets complicated for pdf, doc, and audio/video files -- you to be sure you have apps able to open such files.

You can do this at the moment.  A Gramps Media object can be an external file of any type - it doesn't have to be an image.

When Gramps displays the media objects in a gallery it tries to find a thumbnailer to create a thumbnail.  If it can't find a thumbnailer, it will try to scale an image.  If this is not possible it will display an appropriate icon.

When you double-click on a media thumbnail, Gramps will attempt to display it using the default application for that mime type.

Nick.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
> I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
> it visible in the individual's record?
>
> Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
> galleries, sources, et cetera?
>
> --
> Wybo

Gerald Britton

Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut
[hidden email]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know. Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters. http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

DS Blank
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have thought that this is a bit of a weakness with Gramps:

This is not a weakness in Gramps, but a very deliberative design choice.

> 1. Relying on some kinds of data (media) that are "outside" the Gramps db.
> There is a lot of potential for confusion and loss as the db is moved or
> archived.  Does the data go along or not?

There should be no confusion: Gramps does not contain any media in its
internal database, it only points to existing documents, images, etc.

On the other hand, when you export (or make a backup) to a Gramps XML
format, you can choose to have it contain copies of these files. This
is good to do every once in a while, just to make sure that you have a
copy of everything that Gramps references.

I have gotten into the habit of moving a media file into a specific
place, and then adding it to Gramps. That way, I figure out where it
will live forever, and then it will be referenced correctly. One
should avoid moving media files once they are referenced in Gramps.

> 2. Not having a more general concept than media-gallery-images.  I would
> like to incorporate any kind of document into the db, with an appropriate
> viewer/editor, and associate it with any entity -- maybe a generalized
> "notes" capability.  I know this gets complicated for pdf, doc, and
> audio/video files -- you to be sure you have apps able to open such files.

As Nick stated, Gramps already works this way.

> If enough people were interested, we could think about proposing new
> features along these lines.

I'm sure you could still come up with feature ideas, given the way
that Gramps works. For example, it would be very easy to have a report
run on start up that would check all of the media to make sure that
they still exist, and report a warning otherwise. Or, perhaps when you
add an image to Gramps, there is an option to copy it to a specified
location. For example, if you drop a URL onto gramps, it could
retrieve the image and copy it to your ~/.gramps/media folder (or
something).

Thanks for the feedback!

-Doug

> Martin
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> You can store it wherever you find convenient.  Many users create a
>> media folder and a simple hierarchy within it to store their
>> documents.  Once you have saved your file there, from gramps go to the
>> media tab and add a new item.  In the dialog, navigate to your file.
>> (Gramps does not store your file in its database, but instead keeps
>> the path to it).  Once you save your new media item, you can link it
>> to sources, events, people, etc. in the gallery tabs.  Just click on
>> the little hand icon (not the '+') icon to find the media item you
>> just added.
>>
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Wybo Dekker
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
>> > I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
>> > it visible in the individual's record?
>> >
>> > Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
>> > galleries, sources, et cetera?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wybo

>> --
>> Gerald Britton

> Martin Ewing
> Branford, Connecticut

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

Gerald Britton-2
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have thought that this is a bit of a weakness with Gramps:
>
> 1. Relying on some kinds of data (media) that are "outside" the Gramps db.
> There is a lot of potential for confusion and loss as the db is moved or
 archived.  Does the data go along or not?

If you export using the Gramps Package option, the media data should be included

> 2. Not having a more general concept than media-gallery-images.  I would
> like to incorporate any kind of document into the db, with an appropriate
> viewer/editor, and associate it with any entity -- maybe a generalized
> "notes" capability.  I know this gets complicated for pdf, doc, and
> audio/video files -- you to be sure you have apps able to open such files.
>
> If enough people were interested, we could think about proposing new
> features along these lines.

I believe it has been proposed before but rejected because:

1. the database in use is not as effective as the filesystem for
storing PDFs, pics, videos etc.
2. users often want to view or edit those files using other tools that
won't know how to read from the database.

Probably other things as well.  But these come easily to mind.

> Martin
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> You can store it wherever you find convenient.  Many users create a
>> media folder and a simple hierarchy within it to store their
>> documents.  Once you have saved your file there, from gramps go to the
>> media tab and add a new item.  In the dialog, navigate to your file.
>> (Gramps does not store your file in its database, but instead keeps
>> the path to it).  Once you save your new media item, you can link it
>> to sources, events, people, etc. in the gallery tabs.  Just click on
>> the little hand icon (not the '+') icon to find the media item you
>> just added.
>>
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Wybo Dekker
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > If I have a PDF document with information about an individual, where can
>> > I store it so that it will be part of the database, and how can I make
>> > it visible in the individual's record?
>> >
>> > Is there an example database which demonstrates facilities like
>> > galleries, sources, et cetera?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wybo

>> --
>> Gerald Britton

> Martin Ewing
> Branford, Connecticut

Gerald Britton

Re: how and where to store a pdf document

Duncan Lithgow-5
Personally I wish Gramps were stricter in how it handles media. One thought I had was that Gramps should bundle all the media into a single tar file which belongs to the user 'gramps'. That would ensure that the files stay where they should be and I don't accidentally move or rename things (og course if it's my computer and I can go directly into the tar file.

Gramps would need basic file management capacity though for all this to work. At a minimum open, move, rename and delete.

I just thought I'd throw that thought out there - I honestly don't remember if I've suggested it before.

Cheers, Duncan

--
'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates