how to manage place that change of type during time

how to manage place that change of type during time

Eric Doutreleau
Hi

i m using gramps 4.2.2 and i m still discovering the powerness of the
management of places in gramps.

I have a question about place that change of type during time.

For exemple Graville-Saint-Honorine was a city before being annexed in
1919 by le Havre and become a Neighborhood and change of name.

But in alternate name i can't change the type.

Is it possible to do that?

Re: how to manage place that change of type during time

paul womack
Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> Hi
>
> i m using gramps 4.2.2 and i m still discovering the powerness of the
> management of places in gramps.
>
> I have a question about place that change of type during time.
>
> For exemple Graville-Saint-Honorine was a city before being annexed in
> 1919 by le Havre and become a Neighborhood and change of name.
>
> But in alternate name i can't change the type.
>
> Is it possible to do that?

I guess this is actually common, for anyone with a deep-in-time
database. Any current day CITY was previously a TOWN, prior
to that a VILLAGE, prior to that a HAMLET, and prior to that a BUILDING.

Unless all us user of gramps want to document the geography and politics
of entire countries over time, there must be a point where gramps place handling
is sufficient for genealogical purposes, especially conssidering that developer
time is finite.

   BugBear

Re: how to manage place that change of type during time

enno
Op 13-01-16 om 10:11 schreef paul womack:

> Eric Doutreleau wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> i m using gramps 4.2.2 and i m still discovering the powerness of the
>> management of places in gramps.
>>
>> I have a question about place that change of type during time.
>>
>> For exemple Graville-Saint-Honorine was a city before being annexed in
>> 1919 by le Havre and become a Neighborhood and change of name.
>>
>> But in alternate name i can't change the type.
>>
>> Is it possible to do that?
> I guess this is actually common, for anyone with a deep-in-time
> database. Any current day CITY was previously a TOWN, prior
> to that a VILLAGE, prior to that a HAMLET, and prior to that a BUILDING.
>
> Unless all us user of gramps want to document the geography and politics
> of entire countries over time, there must be a point where gramps place handling
> is sufficient for genealogical purposes, especially conssidering that developer
> time is finite.
That's true, but considering that alternative names already have date
and language attributes, adding a type should not be that difficult.
OTOH, one can also think of another system for alternative places as a
whole.

In a scenario like this, where a dam in the Amstel river (Amsteldam)
eventually becomes our capital Amsterdam, you often see that center
coordinates move a bit, and those are attributes that already exist in
the place record. It would therefore be quite logical to have
alternative places, just like we already have alternative hierarchies,
i.e. enclosing places. Alternative places are the same thing, without
adding a level that the user probably doesn't need.

When I have a street address, I can solve this by putting that in the
hamlet, borough, town, etc., but when I don't, it's quite a nuisance.
Allowing alternative places would solve that in quite an easy fashion, I
think.

regards,

On 13/01/16 09:11, paul womack wrote:
> Unless all us user of gramps want to document the geography and politics
> of entire countries over time, there must be a point where gramps place handling
> is sufficient for genealogical purposes, especially conssidering that developer
> time is finite.

Yes.  It would be very easy to make the place type time-dependent. What
features do we actually want?