how to store media files

Phylis Sophical
I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?

Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps, one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in Gramps.

All suggestions welcome.

Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10
NdK

Re: how to store media files

NdK
Il 01/06/2013 17:13, PhylisSophical ha scritto:
> I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data
> base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods
> are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just
> have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do
> you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?
I have a ~/gramps/media folder.

I think it could be useful to add a function to create an "event media
folder" so that adding a folder to an event adds to it all the contained
media files.

> Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps,
> one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems
> that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in
> Gramps.
If you're using Linux, you can hardlink the two copies (as long as
they're on the same filesystem.

> All suggestions welcome.
Do not store it as a sub-folder of the database.
IIUC, when deleting the database all other sub-folders gets emptied (but
not removed) too.

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: how to store media files

derHeinzi

For the media files used in Gramps I created a new Folder in the root directory. In this folder I created subfolders for images, documents, ...
In images I have several subfolders for image collections from different sources or families.
One subfolder in documents contains scans of birth, marriage and death announcements from the local newspaper. Other subfolders herein contain scans of documents from different sources (Family books, parish data, ...)

I would not put all these (scanned) documents and images into only one folder. Its better to have them organized in one way or the other. I do it by source. They are easier to find and you can name the folders according to the sources so you can easily retrieve them.

Just my 2 cents

Heinz

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:13:22 +0200, PhylisSophical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data
> base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods
> are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just
> have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do
> you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?
>
> Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps,
> one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems
> that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in
> Gramps.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

Re: how to store media files

Benny Malengier
Feel free to extend that wiki page if you feel like you can make a contribution.
As you did not find this page via the help, feel free to make changes to the wiki (eg a link in the manual) that would have made it possible to find that page.

Benny

2013/6/1 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>

For the media files used in Gramps I created a new Folder in the root directory. In this folder I created subfolders for images, documents, ...
In images I have several subfolders for image collections from different sources or families.
One subfolder in documents contains scans of birth, marriage and death announcements from the local newspaper. Other subfolders herein contain scans of documents from different sources (Family books, parish data, ...)

I would not put all these (scanned) documents and images into only one folder. Its better to have them organized in one way or the other. I do it by source. They are easier to find and you can name the folders according to the sources so you can easily retrieve them.

Just my 2 cents

Heinz

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:13:22 +0200, PhylisSophical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data
> base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods
> are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just
> have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do
> you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?
>
> Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps,
> one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems
> that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in
> Gramps.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

Re: how to store media files

Hivernat Emmanuel
Here is my sytem for naming my documents

exemple : Alary Jeanne_1721_N_AD15_Valuéjols_5Mi660 6_p77.jpg
               : First name Name _ Year _ Event _ Repository_ Source .jpg

I find it good because I have never the same name for 2 documents ( hope it 'll be still true in the futur)

Regards

-- Manu --
Le 01/06/2013 22:47, Benny Malengier a écrit :
Feel free to extend that wiki page if you feel like you can make a contribution.
As you did not find this page via the help, feel free to make changes to the wiki (eg a link in the manual) that would have made it possible to find that page.

Benny

2013/6/1 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>

For the media files used in Gramps I created a new Folder in the root directory. In this folder I created subfolders for images, documents, ...
In images I have several subfolders for image collections from different sources or families.
One subfolder in documents contains scans of birth, marriage and death announcements from the local newspaper. Other subfolders herein contain scans of documents from different sources (Family books, parish data, ...)

I would not put all these (scanned) documents and images into only one folder. Its better to have them organized in one way or the other. I do it by source. They are easier to find and you can name the folders according to the sources so you can easily retrieve them.

Just my 2 cents

Heinz

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:13:22 +0200, PhylisSophical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data
> base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods
> are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just
> have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do
> you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?
>
> Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps,
> one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems
> that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in
> Gramps.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap2

Re: how to store media files

Marco Tulio Malagosto
I use the same approach for document naming, however I do not
use blank spaces or especial characters like the Emmanuel example,
because you can end with a truncate it or erronous filename.

We need to think in a variaty of filesystems when naming a file.
HPFS, NTFS, EXT4, etc or even CDFS or JOLIET, you need to be
sure your filename will stay the same not matter in what media
or OS do you used or keep it.

Also the structure of the  filename should be clear enough that if in case
another person or researcher continue our work it could be understable
to him.

And as Benny point out there are excellent examples in the Gramps wiki.

Marco.

On 06/01/2013 06:14 PM, Emmanuel Hivernat wrote:
Here is my sytem for naming my documents

exemple : Alary Jeanne_1721_N_AD15_Valuéjols_5Mi660 6_p77.jpg
               : First name Name _ Year _ Event _ Repository_ Source .jpg

I find it good because I have never the same name for 2 documents ( hope it 'll be still true in the futur)

Regards

-- Manu --
Le 01/06/2013 22:47, Benny Malengier a écrit :
Feel free to extend that wiki page if you feel like you can make a contribution.
As you did not find this page via the help, feel free to make changes to the wiki (eg a link in the manual) that would have made it possible to find that page.

Benny

2013/6/1 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>

For the media files used in Gramps I created a new Folder in the root directory. In this folder I created subfolders for images, documents, ...
In images I have several subfolders for image collections from different sources or families.
One subfolder in documents contains scans of birth, marriage and death announcements from the local newspaper. Other subfolders herein contain scans of documents from different sources (Family books, parish data, ...)

I would not put all these (scanned) documents and images into only one folder. Its better to have them organized in one way or the other. I do it by source. They are easier to find and you can name the folders according to the sources so you can easily retrieve them.

Just my 2 cents

Heinz

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:13:22 +0200, PhylisSophical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm aware that Gramps doesn't store actual media files in it's data
> base, only a path to the file. I'm wondering what other people's methods
> are for archiving media that will become a part of Gramps. Do you just
> have a folder within My Pictures for Gramps pictures and documents? Do
> you make a sub folder within the Gramps folder?
>
> Although I would prefer not to have two sets of media, one in Gramps,
> one in My Pictures that I can edit or move to other folders, it seems
> that may be the best way to avoid corrupting media I want to show up in
> Gramps.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap2

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap2

Re: how to store media files

Doug
On 01/06/13 19:09, Heinz Brinker wrote:

> For the media files used in Gramps I created a new Folder in the root directory. In this folder I created subfolders for images, documents, ...
> In images I have several subfolders for image collections from different sources or families.
> One subfolder in documents contains scans of birth, marriage and death announcements from the local newspaper. Other subfolders herein contain scans of documents from different sources (Family books, parish data, ...)
>
> I would not put all these (scanned) documents and images into only one folder. Its better to have them organized in one way or the other. I do it by source. They are easier to find and you can name the folders according to the sources so you can easily retrieve them.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Heinz
<snip>

FWIW, I have my media in a subdirectory of the Gramps
directory but keep uptodate copies of it on a couple of
external hard drives as insurance against mishaps.
  The folder also contains a number of images I don't yet
use in gramps but may get round to using later. So whenever
I do an import of the database from a gpkg backup (e.g
transferring between laptop and desktop machines) the
gpkg.media folder produced by gramps prunes the unused
images. I always discard it and point the media path to the
unpruned image folder I've copied across separately.

Doug

Re: how to store media files

Eckhard Genßmann
Please also consider what you want to do with the media.
I have a lot of picture media files (with pretty high resolution) that I
have in my picture folders for multiple purpose. Picture quality is key
here.

However, all the media used in gramps are either used in reports or in
navweb pages that I've placed on my web site. High resolution pics are bad
for the website and add no value to the reports.
That's why I have copies of those pictures in my genealogy folder next to
the gramps database, resized to satisfy the needs for the web pages.
The MyPictures directory (and the structure underneath) is my master - and
only selected media will find their way into gramps. Photo collections
should be maintained differently.
I'm using Windows7 and my structure looks like
MyDocuments\Genealogy\GRAMPS\BackUp
MyDocuments\Genealogy\GRAMPS\data
MyDocuments\Genealogy\GRAMPS\gramps    (here are all the subdirectories and
data created by gramps)
MyDocuments\Genealogy\GRAMPS\reports
MyDocuments\Genealogy\Media\pictures
MyDocuments\Genealogy\Media\documents  (scans from any archives, church
books, announcements, etc)

Best regards,
Eckhard