how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen
Hello, I hope someone can help me.

I have Gramps 3.0 installed on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 7.10.

I also have GRAMPS running on my Asus Eee that uses Xandros. However, this version of GRAMPS is 2.10 (I think it's called). I would like to update my Eee so it too, is running 3.0. That way I can share files between computers like I was doing before when both operating systems were using 2.10. I feel 3.0 is so much better, I'd really like it on my little Eee.

Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force update, it still  shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS, which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.

I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update now" in the menu but couldn't find it.

So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop: gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.

Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and any help to get me through this.

BTW, GRAMPS on my little Eee came in mighty handy yesterday at a family party :)

Thanks,
Laura

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Tony Gordon
Laura

On Ubuntu, all you need to do is double-click the downloaded deb file and a package installer will open, check dependencies and ask you if you want to install the package. If you agree it will automatically update Gramps. I don't know if the same thing will happen on Xandros.

Tony

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 18:52 -0500, Laura Mellen wrote:
Hello, I hope someone can help me.

I have Gramps 3.0 installed on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 7.10.

I also have GRAMPS running on my Asus Eee that uses Xandros. However, this version of GRAMPS is 2.10 (I think it's called). I would like to update my Eee so it too, is running 3.0. That way I can share files between computers like I was doing before when both operating systems were using 2.10. I feel 3.0 is so much better, I'd really like it on my little Eee.

Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force update, it still  shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS, which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.

I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update now" in the menu but couldn't find it.

So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop: gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.

Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and any help to get me through this.

BTW, GRAMPS on my little Eee came in mighty handy yesterday at a family party :)

Thanks,
Laura

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen

> Laura
>
> On Ubuntu, all you need to do is double-click the downloaded deb file and a package installer will open, check dependencies and ask you if you want to install the package. If you agree it will automatically update Gramps. I don't know if the same thing will happen on Xandros.
>
> Tony

Oh, I wish it was that easy...one of the reasons I love Ubuntu :)

In Xandros, it took me about 1.5 hours to figure out how to install Open Office to a SDHC card...I'm hoping things will go a little faster with GRAMPS.

Thanks!
Laura

> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 18:52 -0500, Laura Mellen wrote:
> Hello, I hope someone can help me.
>
> I have Gramps 3.0 installed on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> I also have GRAMPS running on my Asus Eee that uses Xandros. However, this version of GRAMPS is 2.10 (I think it's called). I would like to update my Eee so it too, is running 3.0. That way I can share files between computers like I was doing before when both operating systems were using 2.10. I feel 3.0 is so much better, I'd really like it on my little Eee.
>
> Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force update, it still  shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS, which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.
>
> I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update now" in the menu but couldn't find it.
>
> So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop: gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.
>
> Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and any help to get me through this.
>
> BTW, GRAMPS on my little Eee came in mighty handy yesterday at a family party :)
>
> Thanks,
> Laura

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen

> Hi,
>
> I'm a fellow eeePC user - great machine!
>
> I think you'll find you need to change your repository settings in Synaptic to "Multiverse" repos. That will bring in all repos, even those which have licensing issues etc. From there you'll be able to install Gramps new version.

Yes, I do love my Eee!

I will boot it up in a bit and see if repository settings are Multiverse, thanks for the idea. It would be so nice to be able to install GRAMPS update that easily.

> As to the download for Xandros you've done, perhaps you would like to go here
>
> http://www.eeeuser.com/
>
> which is the eeePC site, with forums and a Wike about how to instal downloaded programs. HTH

Yes, I'll be sure to check it out...
Thanks!
Laura

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello, I hope someone can help me.
>
> I have Gramps 3.0 installed on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> I also have GRAMPS running on my Asus Eee that uses Xandros. However, this version of GRAMPS is 2.10 (I think it's called). I would like to update my Eee so it too, is running 3.0. That way I can share files between computers like I was doing before when both operating systems were using 2.10. I feel 3.0 is so much better, I'd really like it on my little Eee.
>
> Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force update, it still  shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS, which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.
>
> I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update now" in the menu but couldn't find it.
>
> So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop: gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.
>
> Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and any help to get me through this.
>
> BTW, GRAMPS on my little Eee came in mighty handy yesterday at a family party :)
>
> Thanks,
> Laura

> Regards
>
> Barrie Smart

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Doug Laidlaw
Whatever package type Xandros uses, you should be able to download it.  Tony
talks about Synaptic, which is Debian and Ubuntu style.  But my distro
(Mandriva with RPM) hasn't made 3.0 available yet.  You are luckier; there
are .deb files on SourceForge.

I looked at Xandros a while back.  It was TOO like Windows.  Even the standard
Linux config files weren't where I was accustomed to look.  But I didn't give
it a thorough workout.

Doug.

On Monday 26 May 2008 11:52:26 pm Laura Mellen wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a fellow eeePC user - great machine!
> >
> > I think you'll find you need to change your repository settings in
> > Synaptic to "Multiverse" repos. That will bring in all repos, even those
> > which have licensing issues etc. From there you'll be able to install
> > Gramps new version.
>
> Yes, I do love my Eee!
>
> I will boot it up in a bit and see if repository settings are Multiverse,
> thanks for the idea. It would be so nice to be able to install GRAMPS
> update that easily.
>
> > As to the download for Xandros you've done, perhaps you would like to go
> > here
> >
> > http://www.eeeuser.com/
> >
> > which is the eeePC site, with forums and a Wike about how to instal
> > downloaded programs. HTH
>
> Yes, I'll be sure to check it out...
> Thanks!
> Laura
>
> > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote: Hello, I hope someone can help me.
> >
> > I have Gramps 3.0 installed on my desktop computer running Ubuntu 7.10.
> >
> > I also have GRAMPS running on my Asus Eee that uses Xandros. However,
> > this version of GRAMPS is 2.10 (I think it's called). I would like to
> > update my Eee so it too, is running 3.0. That way I can share files
> > between computers like I was doing before when both operating systems
> > were using 2.10. I feel 3.0 is so much better, I'd really like it on my
> > little Eee.
> >
> > Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was
> > taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package
> > manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force
> > update, it still  shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS,
> > which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.
> >
> > I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update
> > now" in the menu but couldn't find it.
> >
> > So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop:
> > gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to
> > learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am
> > remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.
> >
> > Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it
> > seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and
> > any help to get me through this.
> >
> > BTW, GRAMPS on my little Eee came in mighty handy yesterday at a family
> > party :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Laura

> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Barrie Smart

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen
Thanks everyone but I have problems here.

I did go to the wiki for the eee user after unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to add "multiverse" to Synaptic, I just couldn't find where it was done.

I agree, Xandros is way to Windows-like and I don't like it as much as Ubuntu for sure. In Xandros, I can right click on the deb file but "install" is not an option as it is in Ubuntu.

So going to the Eee wiki, I found the command for what I thought was the installation for Gramps (or I should say update).

GRAMPS won't work at all now :( on this Xandros/Eee computer. Here is my error message:

/home/user> sudo dpkg -i gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb

(Reading database ... 79578 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace gramps 2.2.10-2 (using gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb) ...

INFO: using unsupported version '/usr/bin/python2.5'

Unpacking replacement gramps ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gramps:

gramps depends on python (>= 2.4.4-6); however:

Version of python on system is 2.4.4-2.

gramps depends on python-central (>= 0.6.2); however:

Version of python-central on system is 0.5.12.

dpkg: error processing gramps (--install):

gramps

From the above error message I can see that obvi0usly python on my Eee is not the latest version...no idea how to change that. Same with "Python-central"...no idea what that is either.

I guess I should have left well enough alone but I know others using this setup are using Gramps 3.0 and it would indeed be so handy to have the same version on both computers.

So is there an easy way to undo my attempt at an install/undate and get GRamps 2.10 back? Or should I delete GRAMPS and start over?

I am nervous about changing files on my Eee because I've read horror stories regarding the updates.

Sorry for rambling, I hope someone can help.
Thank you,
Laura

> [...]

> > > Here's where I get confused. According the the sourceforge site I was
> > > taken to, Synaptic is the best way to update. However my Synaptic package
> > > manager tells me I am unable to update to 3.0. If I go to Programs/force
> > > update, it still shows that I am using the latest version of GRAMPS,
> > > which of course, I'm not. I do have debian in the repository list.
> > >
> > > I also looked in the GRAMPS program itself to see if there was "update
> > > now" in the menu but couldn't find it.
> > >
> > > So at the Sourceforge site I downloaded and saved to desktop:
> > > gramps_3.0.0-6_all.deb. Now I have no clue what to do with it! I want to
> > > learn how to do more with the terminal, but at this point I am
> > > remembering nothing at all as to what step would be next.
> > >
> > > Maybe my 49 year old brain is incapable of learning new things because it
> > > seems I should have caught on how to do this by now... I welcome all and

Give to a good cause with every e-mail. <a href='http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause' target='_new'>Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Jim Winfrey
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone but I have problems here.
>
> I did go to the wiki for the eee user after unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to add "multiverse" to Synaptic, I just couldn't find where it was done.
>
> I agree, Xandros is way to Windows-like and I don't like it as much as Ubuntu for sure. In Xandros, I can right click on the deb file but "install" is not an option as it is in Ubuntu.
>
> So going to the Eee wiki, I found the command for what I thought was the installation for Gramps (or I should say update).
>
> GRAMPS won't work at all now :( on this Xandros/Eee computer. Here is my error message:

Hi Laura,

I have gotten to the same place as you.  I can't even force the Python
install.  But I did learn one thing about the eee.  You can put the
whole build on a 2 gig USB drive and restore the machine any time you
blow it up.  I'm on blow it up number 2 right now.  First time was
trying the same things you've dealt with with installing Gramps 3.0
and the second was when I tried to get Ubuntu 7.10 running on it.  I
almost got that to work but it crashed.  So, I stuck the USB drive in
and restored the eee.

Jim

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen

THank you Jim, that's nice to know. Maybe I should simply get another USB stick so I can continue experimenting with GRamps.

Laura

> Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:53:07 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros
>
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Laura Mellen  wrote:
>>
>> Thanks everyone but I have problems here.
>>
>> I did go to the wiki for the eee user after unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to add "multiverse" to Synaptic, I just couldn't find where it was done.
>>
>> I agree, Xandros is way to Windows-like and I don't like it as much as Ubuntu for sure. In Xandros, I can right click on the deb file but "install" is not an option as it is in Ubuntu.
>>
>> So going to the Eee wiki, I found the command for what I thought was the installation for Gramps (or I should say update).
>>
>> GRAMPS won't work at all now :( on this Xandros/Eee computer. Here is my error message:
>>
> Hi Laura,
>
> I have gotten to the same place as you.  I can't even force the Python
> install.  But I did learn one thing about the eee.  You can put the
> whole build on a 2 gig USB drive and restore the machine any time you
> blow it up.  I'm on blow it up number 2 right now.  First time was
> trying the same things you've dealt with with installing Gramps 3.0
> and the second was when I tried to get Ubuntu 7.10 running on it.  I
> almost got that to work but it crashed.  So, I stuck the USB drive in
> and restored the eee.
>
> Jim

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Benny Malengier

2008/5/26 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:

THank you Jim, that's nice to know. Maybe I should simply get another USB stick so I can continue experimenting with GRamps.

Laura

Laura,

best is if you stick to what is officially supported, and for xandros, that is not much.
So, I believe the best solution is to keep an eye on http://ubuntu-eee.tuxfamily.org/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Then, if this ubuntu-eee version is released, save all your settings and documents, and try it out. The gramps 3.0.1 package should then install without problems.

Gramps 3.0 is a major update, and needs recent versions of many core programs, so installing it on older distributions is almost impossible.

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen

Wow, thanks again. Thought I was keeping up on the Eee news pretty well but I had not heard of the Eeeubuntu wiki page. That along with GRAMPS 3.0 would be super.

:)
Laura

________________________________

> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:42:12 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>

> 2008/5/26 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:
>
> THank you Jim, that's nice to know. Maybe I should simply get another USB stick so I can continue experimenting with GRamps.
>
> Laura
>
> Laura,
>
> best is if you stick to what is officially supported, and for xandros, that is not much.
> So, I believe the best solution is to keep an eye on http://ubuntu-eee.tuxfamily.org/index.php5?title=Main_Page
>
> Then, if this ubuntu-eee version is released, save all your settings and documents, and try it out. The gramps 3.0.1 package should then install without problems.
>
> Gramps 3.0 is a major update, and needs recent versions of many core programs, so installing it on older distributions is almost impossible.
>
> Benny

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Benny Malengier
Laura,

also check out http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

With eexubuntu 7.10 it should be possible to install 3.0.1 from ubuntu .deb we distribute. The GTK dependencies should already be present for other programs.

Benny

2008/5/30 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:

Wow, thanks again. Thought I was keeping up on the Eee news pretty well but I had not heard of the Eeeubuntu wiki page. That along with GRAMPS 3.0 would be super.

:)
Laura

________________________________
> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:42:12 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>

> 2008/5/26 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:
>
> THank you Jim, that's nice to know. Maybe I should simply get another USB stick so I can continue experimenting with GRamps.
>
> Laura
>
> Laura,
>
> best is if you stick to what is officially supported, and for xandros, that is not much.
> So, I believe the best solution is to keep an eye on http://ubuntu-eee.tuxfamily.org/index.php5?title=Main_Page
>
> Then, if this ubuntu-eee version is released, save all your settings and documents, and try it out. The gramps 3.0.1 package should then install without problems.
>
> Gramps 3.0 is a major update, and needs recent versions of many core programs, so installing it on older distributions is almost impossible.
>
> Benny

Give to a good cause with every e-mail. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

Laura Mellen

Had quite a few problems (posted on Eee board) trying to get EeeXubuntu up and running on the Eee. I guess for now I will keep the Xandros but keep and open ear and eye to possibly trying new and different things soon.
Thank you!
Laura

> 2008/5/30 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:
>
> Wow, thanks again. Thought I was keeping up on the Eee news pretty well but I had not heard of the Eeeubuntu wiki page. That along with GRAMPS 3.0 would be super.
>
> :)
> Laura
>

> ________________________________
>> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:42:12 +0200
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros
>> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>>

>> 2008/5/26 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> THank you Jim, that's nice to know. Maybe I should simply get another USB stick so I can continue experimenting with GRamps.
>>
>> Laura
>>
>> Laura,
>>
>> best is if you stick to what is officially supported, and for xandros, that is not much.
>> So, I believe the best solution is to keep an eye on http://ubuntu-eee.tuxfamily.org/index.php5?title=Main_Page
>>
>> Then, if this ubuntu-eee version is released, save all your settings and documents, and try it out. The gramps 3.0.1 package should then install without problems.
>>
>> Gramps 3.0 is a major update, and needs recent versions of many core programs, so installing it on older distributions is almost impossible.
>>
>> Benny

> Give to a good cause with every e-mail. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.
> http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause

Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger.

Re: how to update to GRAMPS 3.0 on Xandros

In case you did not see it online; ubuntu-eee has arrived: http://ubuntu-eee.tuxfamily.org/index.php5?title=Community_news#2008-06-09_-_Ubuntu_Eee_goes_gold.21

No idea if their reduces packages allow for easy install of GRAMPS.