howto define detailed relationships

Thomas Astleitner
hello folks!

i'm new in this application, but it seems that i'm going to like it very much!

there's currently one thing i'm looking for, don't know where it's hiding.
i have a lot of persons without parents but brothers and sisters.
when i enter such a person, it has no relationship to anyone, so i want this
person to become brother or sister of someone. but how todo this?

how can i set the relationship to brother or sister without having parents?

thanks for your replies!
thomas

Re: howto define detailed relationships

Alex Roitman
Thomas,

On 07/06/2005 04:28:18 AM, Thomas Astleitner wrote:

> there's currently one thing i'm looking for, don't know where it's hiding.
> i have a lot of persons without parents but brothers and sisters.
> when i enter such a person, it has no relationship to anyone, so i want this
> person to become brother or sister of someone. but how todo this?
>
> how can i set the relationship to brother or sister without having parents?

In real life, the only way for brother and sisters to be such is to have
common parents. Same in GRAMPS -- you can only have siblings by way of common
parents. The fact that they are siblings tells you with 100% certainty that
they shared at least one parent.

So, I would enter at least one person with the name of "Unknown", or "?"
or whatever else suits your tastes, and add all these prospective
brothers and sisters as children of that person.

Alex