http links

Rich Lakey
I have been working with the database I received from my father for at least 8 years. Got it as a gedcom from his FTM and have only used Gramps.
For the last year, most of my work has been creating sources and citations for the information in this tree.
Have noticed and ignored a lot of sources that look like:
Title: http://www.gencircles.com/users/briggs/1/data/11956.html

The associated citation is
Source: http://www.gencircles.com/users/briggs/1/data/11956.html  [s0999]

reference is to a person. No information what data was in the record.

Going to that link I am redirected to the home page for MyHeritage
Totally useless

Myself I use as few links in my data as possible and download/copy information from the web so I have control of it. I download images of city directories, census pages, grave markers etc. If there is no image I copy the text into a note. I make reference where the data came from and use links, but if the link changes in the future I still have the data.
Rich

Re: http links

Ron Johnson
On 03/20/2018 10:03 AM, Rich wrote:
[snip]
Myself I use as few links in my data as possible and download/copy information from the web so I have control of it. I download images of city directories, census pages, grave markers etc. If there is no image I copy the text into a note. I make reference where the data came from and use links, but if the link changes in the future I still have the data.

That's exactly what I do.  Links die, but -- as long as you do backups -- your data is yours.

Re: http links

Simon C. Tremblay
I do both and more:
1 - print to pdf and attach media to the citation
2 - add URL as attribute to the citation (when the odds are that it will stay current, like the link in a FamilySearch citation block)
3 - take a snapshot with Zotero

Zotero is configured to save attachments locally, synched to a webDAV share on BOX.

Zotero is pretty cool because it indexes all snapshots so you can search through them, even if the original is not available either permanently or temporariy: need to validate some info on that DB available only from the library? No problem, it's cached!

When installed, zotero becomes a URI handler, so you can save as attribute links like zotero://select/items/1_3PX8WI2G but I did not do it because it's time consuming, and I have not find a way to quicly launch it.

Regards,

Simon