icon design

Benny Malengier
Everybody,

For version 3.1 of GRAMPS some new icons are needed:

1/Detach Gramplets: A gramplet can be detached from the Grampletview, the button needs a  better icon, now configuration icon is used
2/GeoView: An icon is needed of a rectangular map with some indicators on it (as known from eg google maps).

Icons should follow the Tango style guidelines.
If somebody is interested, feel free to send the designs to me (under a commons licence).

Re: icon design

Douglas S. Blank
> Everybody,
>
> For version 3.1 of GRAMPS some new icons are needed:
>
> 1/Detach Gramplets: A gramplet can be detached from the Grampletview, the
> button needs a  better icon, now configuration icon is used

True, and that stems from thoughts in progress. Perhaps you all have some
ideas on: how should someone set the options for a gramplet?

Currently, the options only appear (if there are any) if you first detach
the gramplet, and select an expand tab. There could be many options for
every gramplet.

Perhaps these options should appear in a new dialog? If so, where should
the button/menu item go to bring up the dialog? It could be this
configuration button. (More than three buttons is too many. There is one
that does dragdrop+detach, one for expand, and one for close.)

Currently the configuration button is also the drag-n-drop control, but
perhaps that can be changed to be the gramplet title label instead?

Ideas welcome!

-Doug

> 2/GeoView: An icon is needed of a rectangular map with some indicators on
> it
> (as known from eg google maps).
>
> Icons should follow the Tango style guidelines.
> If somebody is interested, feel free to send the designs to me (under a
> commons licence).
>
> Benny

Re: icon design

Jason Simanek-2
Hey Guys,

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 10:01 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> > For version 3.1 of GRAMPS some new icons are needed:
> >
> > 1/Detach Gramplets: A gramplet can be detached from the Grampletview, the
> > button needs a  better icon, now configuration icon is used

Is 4 too many buttons? Is that a UI rule? Anyway, here's my idea for the
detach icon and a slight rearrangement of the buttons to be consistent
with *NIX/Windows usual window buttons. To me the usual
maximize/minimize function is kin to the detach function in the case of
gramplets. I also think the minimize 'bar' icon should be dropped lower
to be more like an underscore. The current icon looks like a minus-sign.

I also have a suggestion for changing the detached Gramplet window. I
personally find the current 'Close' button confusing. I hesitated to
click it because I thought that might mean I'd have to re-install or
re-place the gramplet within the main Gramps window. The function of the
button isn't closing the Gramplets window as much as it is changing the
'presentation mode' of the Gramplet.

Example:
http://bohemianalps.com/GRAMPS/icons/GrampletIcon_JS_1.png

(Excuse my missing window-decorations on the detached example. I threw
the dark border in as a quick approximation.)

> > 2/GeoView: An icon is needed of a rectangular map with some indicators on
> > it
> > (as known from eg google maps).
> >
> > Icons should follow the Tango style guidelines.
> > If somebody is interested, feel free to send the designs to me (under a
> > commons licence).

Not sure what GeoView is. Do I need to run the trunk version to see
that? I'd like to help with that as well if it's not too involved.

I'm not too sure about how my suggestion jive with the Tango style
guidelines, but that can be dealt with after we agree on a concept.

-Jason Simanek

Re: icon design

Jason Simanek-2
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 00:20 -0600, Jason Simanek wrote:
> I also have a suggestion for changing the detached Gramplet window...

It just occurred to me that the 'Help' button is really out of place on
the detached Gramplet window. Couldn't this be available from within the
'Options' dialog? Once someone understands the Gramplets in general and
any specific Gramplet, this button is most likely no longer needed.
Seems odd to make a button that gets used only once so persistent and
prominent.

-Jason Simanek

Re: icon design

DS Blank
Jason,

Thanks for your perspective! Sometimes being too close to the code taints one's view of what is possible. Some comments below...

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Jason Simanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Guys,

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 10:01 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> > For version 3.1 of GRAMPS some new icons are needed:
> >
> > 1/Detach Gramplets: A gramplet can be detached from the Grampletview, the
> > button needs a  better icon, now configuration icon is used

Is 4 too many buttons? Is that a UI rule?

No, not at all... it was my feeling that 4 buttons is too many to fit. There are a few constraints. I arbitrarily decided that the Gramplets could be arranged in 1 to 3 columns (because more than that, and it gets too crowded, but that's just an aesthetic view). So, if you go with as small as the rest of gramps will allow, you get this:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/images/7/70/CurrentGramplets3Column.png

With 4 buttons (either together, or separated as in your image) we have three programming options:

1) give all widgets the room that they want (current setting)
2) Use ellipses on title if over a certain size
3) Perhaps remove buttons as the size gets smaller (would be arbitrary)

In any event, on my smaller view, 4 would look to be too many, yes?

Anyway, here's my idea for the
detach icon and a slight rearrangement of the buttons to be consistent
with *NIX/Windows usual window buttons. To me the usual
maximize/minimize function is kin to the detach function in the case of
gramplets. I also think the minimize 'bar' icon should be dropped lower
to be more like an underscore. The current icon looks like a minus-sign.

Right, I just quickly grabbed standard icons, thus Benny's request. But I think you are right: we design one as you describe.

I also have a suggestion for changing the detached Gramplet window. I
personally find the current 'Close' button confusing. I hesitated to
click it because I thought that might mean I'd have to re-install or
re-place the gramplet within the main Gramps window. The function of the
button isn't closing the Gramplets window as much as it is changing the
'presentation mode' of the Gramplet.

Example:
http://bohemianalps.com/GRAMPS/icons/GrampletIcon_JS_1.png

(Excuse my missing window-decorations on the detached example. I threw
the dark border in as a quick approximation.)

Yes, I like some of that on the detached view.

Recall that a year ago that it wasn't clear that Gramplets were going to stay... Brian allowed the view in as an experiment. But it looks like they have been fairly well received, I this is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping to have to turn them into a mature part of gramps.

As we think about the possibility of merging QuickViews with gramplets, I think that one of these buttons on the top will have to be a pull-down menu. Looking at iGoogle, they have done some interesting things with their UI:

http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&source=iglk

Perhaps I should state the functional requirements... but have to run now...

-Doug

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Jason Simanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 00:20 -0600, Jason Simanek wrote:
> I also have a suggestion for changing the detached Gramplet window...

It just occurred to me that the 'Help' button is really out of place on
the detached Gramplet window. Couldn't this be available from within the
'Options' dialog? Once someone understands the Gramplets in general and
any specific Gramplet, this button is most likely no longer needed.
Seems odd to make a button that gets used only once so persistent and
prominent.

Good point! I had just copied some of the other views in GRAMPS (perhaps all of editors...)

-Doug

-Jason Simanek

Re: icon design

2009/1/25 Jason Simanek <[hidden email]>

Not sure what GeoView is. Do I need to run the trunk version to see
that? I'd like to help with that as well if it's not too involved.

I'm not too sure about how my suggestion jive with the Tango style
guidelines, but that can be dealt with after we agree on a concept.

Jason,

the only requirement for me really is that the base is an svg, Tango guide is furthermore a color scheme:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project

Look in your GRAMPS directory in src/images to see examples. The new type of icons are in the 16x16 22x22 48x48 and scalable dirs.

About geoview, it is an experimental view showing google maps/openstreetmap/... inside GRAMPS based on the data you give, see http://blog.gramps-project.org/?p=66
Not ready for prime time yet, it is not working here at the moment.
As it is googlemaps with indicators inside of GRAMPS, my idea was an icon depicting a map with one/some indicators on it.

About your suggestions for Gramplet, I agree. Your design looks nice (except the orange color ;-) ). The problem Doug has with not more than 3 icons can be solved in different ways: showing some extra icons on hover, otherwise not, or putting icons in a bar under the title, or smaller icon sizes that zoom out on hover or ...
I believe we now just have to get the icons there, if you have a design on how to make the gramplet look, ok, but that is somewhat independent of the icons .

Benny

-Jason Simanek

Re: icon design

Jason Simanek-2
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 03:44 -0500, Doug Blank wrote:
> In any event, on my smaller view, 4 would look to be too many, yes?

> As we think about the possibility of merging QuickViews with
> gramplets, I think that one of these buttons on the top will have to
> be a pull-down menu. Looking at iGoogle, they have done some
> interesting things with their UI:
>
> http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&source=iglk

I didn't look at the iGoogle example until after I created this mockup:

http://bohemianalps.com/GRAMPS/icons/GrampletIcon_JS_2.png

1
The interface should be the same whether attached or detached.

2
This isn't really a normal window, so we should avoid making it look
like one, at least in the 'attached' form.

In my second mockup there is just a name and the 'menu' button. This is
similar to GIMP and Photoshop palettes. The absence of buttons on the
bottom greatly simplifies the detached window and prevents it from
looking like a dialog window.

This also allows for Gramplets developers to offer as many features as
they like without being too restricted by space.

After seeing iGoogle, I think the second button that is specific to
changing the 'presentation mode' is a good idea. That setup seems very
intuitive and inline with what I was suggesting above. Plus, you could
just employ the active desktop theme's Minimize/Maximize icon.

-Jason

Re: icon design

DS Blank

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Jason Simanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 03:44 -0500, Doug Blank wrote:
> In any event, on my smaller view, 4 would look to be too many, yes?

> As we think about the possibility of merging QuickViews with
> gramplets, I think that one of these buttons on the top will have to
> be a pull-down menu. Looking at iGoogle, they have done some
> interesting things with their UI:
>
> http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&source=iglk

I didn't look at the iGoogle example until after I created this mockup:

http://bohemianalps.com/GRAMPS/icons/GrampletIcon_JS_2.png

1
The interface should be the same whether attached or detached.

2
This isn't really a normal window, so we should avoid making it look
like one, at least in the 'attached' form.

In my second mockup there is just a name and the 'menu' button. This is
similar to GIMP and Photoshop palettes. The absence of buttons on the
bottom greatly simplifies the detached window and prevents it from
looking like a dialog window.

This also allows for Gramplets developers to offer as many features as
they like without being too restricted by space.

After seeing iGoogle, I think the second button that is specific to
changing the 'presentation mode' is a good idea. That setup seems very
intuitive and inline with what I was suggesting above. Plus, you could
just employ the active desktop theme's Minimize/Maximize icon.

-Jason

As Brian says, I like the way you think :) I concur with your assessment, and will work on the UI a bit; perhaps I can clean this up before the 3.1 release... further comments (from all) of course welcomed!

-Doug