Quantcast

import Image, pyExif

John Ralls-2
Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for python2.x, but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't support python3. What, if anything, have others been using?

PyExif was added as a dependency for a plugin in the main source tree that Rob wrote last year. Their latest release also doesn't support python3, but they at least have an active bug and apparently a fix in SVN. But Rob never really pushed the plugin to a point where it's useful in a genealogy context and the ability to edit Exif data in images is provided in most image editing programs. Is anyone interested in maintaining this plugin or should we just remove it?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: import Image, pyExif

DS Blank
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for python2.x, but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't support python3. What, if anything, have others been using?

I don't know about this one.

PyExif was added as a dependency for a plugin in the main source tree that Rob wrote last year. Their latest release also doesn't support python3, but they at least have an active bug and apparently a fix in SVN. But Rob never really pushed the plugin to a point where it's useful in a genealogy context and the ability to edit Exif data in images is provided in most image editing programs. Is anyone interested in maintaining this plugin or should we just remove it?

I am interested in incorporating Exif data (and meta data in general) better into gramps. But that doesn't necessarily mean using PyExif2 as Rob originally used. Now that some time has passed since Rob's decision, is it clear what the best supported method of getting/setting meta data from Python is? Is there a battery already included in Python's stdlib that can do this across platforms?

So, don't remove it yet. If someone is interested in stepping into the maintainer's role, this might be a good project for you. But if no one else does, I will. I hope that we can keep refining it, and adding functionality (such as moving GIS data in and out of Gramps better).

-Doug

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: import Image, pyExif

John Ralls-2

On Jan 5, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The only alternative to exiv2 that comes up on a quick Google is ImageMagick, which could also be used to replace PIL. Like Graphviz, we'd end up using only a tiny fraction of its feature set.. but that's probably true of PIL and exiv2, too.

The main problem with pyexiv2, aside from that they're just as tardy as we are on Python3, is that they chose two less-used (at least by the Gnome community) facilities: Boost-python and Scons -- and Scons is also not making much progress on Python3. If I were to take it on (which I won't, I'm over-committed already), I'd probably wrap it with SWIG and ignore the pyexiv2 project.

GIS is a totally different kettle of fish.

Reg

Re: import Image, pyExif

Not certain, but it seems that PIL is (was?) also used for cropping
images into textual reports?

Le 06/01/2013 01:46, Doug Blank a écrit :

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for
>     python2.x, but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't
>     support python3. What, if anything, have others been using?
>

> I don't know about this one.
>
>     PyExif was added as a dependency for a plugin in the main source
>     tree that Rob wrote last year. Their latest release also doesn't
>     support python3, but they at least have an active bug and apparently
>     a fix in SVN. But Rob never really pushed the plugin to a point
>     where it's useful in a genealogy context and the ability to edit
>     Exif data in images is provided in most image editing programs. Is
>     anyone interested in maintaining this plugin or should we just
>     remove it?
>

> I am interested in incorporating Exif data (and meta data in general)
> better into gramps. But that doesn't necessarily mean using PyExif2 as
> Rob originally used. Now that some time has passed since Rob's decision,
> is it clear what the best supported method of getting/setting meta data
> from Python is? Is there a battery already included in Python's stdlib
> that can do this across platforms?
>
> So, don't remove it yet. If someone is interested in stepping into
> the maintainer's role, this might be a good project for you. But if no
> one else does, I will. I hope that we can keep refining it, and adding
> functionality (such as moving GIS data in and out of Gramps better).
>
> -Doug
>

>     Regards,
>     John Ralls

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_123012

Re: import Image, pyExif

Tim Lyons
Administrator
John Ralls-2 wrote
Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for python2.x, but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't support python3. What, if anything, have others been using?
As far as I can see, this is used (as Jérôme says) in cropping images in reports. That is a pretty essential function, so we need to find some upgrade path or replacement.

(It is also used in LaTeXDoc to open media objects, but I don't see what it is doing there - looks like a piece of historic cruft).

John Ralls-2 wrote
PyExif was added as a dependency for a plugin in the main source tree that Rob wrote last year. Their latest release also doesn't support python3, but they at least have an active bug and apparently a fix in SVN. But Rob never really pushed the plugin to a point where it's useful in a genealogy context and the ability to edit Exif data in images is provided in most image editing programs. Is anyone interested in maintaining this plugin or should we just remove it?
I personally think that the ability to edit Exif data within Gramps is completely unnecessary in a genealogy program, it contributes to additional maintenance load, and contributes to general bloat. If you want to manipulate Exif data, then use a specific program for that purpose. So I wouldn't object at all to its removal. But that is just a personal view, so if anyone is keen to maintain it, good luck! I would think that the main use in a genealogy context would be to extract GPS location data and add that to appropriate events, but it doesn't actually seem to do that.

Re: import Image, pyExif

Nick Hall-6
John,

There are actually two plugins that use pyexiv2:  EditExifMetadata and
MetadataViewer.  Rob wrote the gramplet to edit exif metadata in
images.  I got involved to help him out, and wrote the metadata viewer.

I use the metadata viewer and am happy to maintain it.

Rob was keen on the editing facilities, but was also looking at
developing the functionality to integrate better with genealogical data.

The pyexiv2 package does not support python3 yet, but has good
functionality.  We did have a discussion on the list about what packages
to use.  It was decided to use PIL for image manipulation, which was
already used in Gramps.  Rob was asked not to use ImageMagick or jhead,
which he was using in earlier versions of his gramplet.

If anyone has any good ideas then I am interested in extending the
existing functionality.

Nick.

On 05/01/13 22:17, John Ralls wrote:

> Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for python2.x, but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't support python3. What, if anything, have others been using?
>
> PyExif was added as a dependency for a plugin in the main source tree that Rob wrote last year. Their latest release also doesn't support python3, but they at least have an active bug and apparently a fix in SVN. But Rob never really pushed the plugin to a point where it's useful in a genealogy context and the ability to edit Exif data in images is provided in most image editing programs. Is anyone interested in maintaining this plugin or should we just remove it?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Re: import Image, pyExif

Harald Rosemann

Am 06.01.2013 17:32, schrieb Tim Lyons:
John Ralls-2 wrote
Image comes from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for python2.x,
but there have been no releases since 2009 and it doesn't support python3.
What, if anything, have others been using?
As far as I can see, this is used (as Jérôme says) in cropping images in
reports. That is a pretty essential function, so we need to find some
upgrade path or replacement.

(It is also used in LaTeXDoc to open media objects, but I don't see what it
is doing there - looks like a piece of historic cruft).
It is used in LaTeXDoc.py to be able to import a variety of image formats
and to transfer them to the one wanted for output.
Additionally it may serve for cropping, resizing and/or filtering.

John Ralls-2 wrote

On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> There are actually two plugins that use pyexiv2:  EditExifMetadata and
> MetadataViewer.  Rob wrote the gramplet to edit exif metadata in
> images.  I got involved to help him out, and wrote the metadata viewer.
>
> I use the metadata viewer and am happy to maintain it.
>
> Rob was keen on the editing facilities, but was also looking at
> developing the functionality to integrate better with genealogical data.
>
> The pyexiv2 package does not support python3 yet, but has good
> functionality.  We did have a discussion on the list about what packages
> to use.  It was decided to use PIL for image manipulation, which was
> already used in Gramps.  Rob was asked not to use ImageMagick or jhead,
> which he was using in earlier versions of his gramplet.
>
> If anyone has any good ideas then I am interested in extending the
> existing functionality.

Nick,

Thanks for the recap and clarification, but it doesn't answer the question: What are you using for testing with python3, particularly for PIL?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: import Image, pyExif

DS Blank
On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
I personally think that the ability to edit Exif data within Gramps is
completely unnecessary in a genealogy program, it contributes to additional
maintenance load, and contributes to general bloat. If you want to
manipulate Exif data, then use a specific program for that purpose. So I
wouldn't object at all to its removal. But that is just a personal view, so
if anyone is keen to maintain it, good luck! I would think that the main use
in a genealogy context would be to extract GPS location data and add that to
appropriate events, but it doesn't actually seem to do that.

Oh, right, it is part of Gramps-core; I would be fine with it being moved to gramps-addons.

And I, too, am personally really only interested in what it doesn't yet do, interfacing the GPS media metadata to Gramps' mapping support.

-Doug

Re: import Image, pyExif

Nick Hall-6
On 06/01/13 19:04, John Ralls wrote:
> Thanks for the recap and clarification, but it doesn't answer the question: What are you using for testing with python3, particularly for PIL?
I haven't done any testing with python3 yet.

Re: import Image, pyExif

Benny Malengier
I added PIL to README couple of days ago because I saw latex output used it to create correct images (as latex only supports some image types).

It is not essential, and I fixed bug in latex generator, but did not test yet if images actually show (my test famtree of the moment did not have images).
So, not having PIL will just mean in latex output less pictures are available.

Then Doug uses it in webapp for something. So, this is not really a blocking issue, at most a minor feature we might loose.

As always in open source, for non-core functionality, it depends on developers interested in the functionality to maintain it going forward. If nobody does, exiv and PIL will be removed in the future.

Benny

2013/1/6 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
On 06/01/13 19:04, John Ralls wrote:
> Thanks for the recap and clarification, but it doesn't answer the question: What are you using for testing with python3, particularly for PIL?
I haven't done any testing with python3 yet.

Re: import Image, pyExif

Adam Stein-3
On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 22:03 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> I added PIL to README couple of days ago because I saw latex output
> used it to create correct images (as latex only supports some image
> types).
>
> It is not essential, and I fixed bug in latex generator, but did not
> test yet if images actually show (my test famtree of the moment did
> not have images).
>
> So, not having PIL will just mean in latex output less pictures are
> available.

Not having PIL will also remove the cropped images in the output reports
(that includes any output format that supports images, not just LaTeX).

> Then Doug uses it in webapp for something. So, this is not really a
> blocking issue, at most a minor feature we might loose.
>
> As always in open source, for non-core functionality, it depends on
> developers interested in the functionality to maintain it going
> forward. If nobody does, exiv and PIL will be removed in the future.
>
> Benny
>

> 2013/1/6 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
>         On 06/01/13 19:04, John Ralls wrote:
>         > Thanks for the recap and clarification, but it doesn't
>         answer the question: What are you using for testing with
>         python3, particularly for PIL?
>
>         I haven't done any testing with python3 yet.
>
>         Nick.

>         Master Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL, ASP.NET, C# 2012,
>         HTML5, CSS,
>         MVC, Windows 8 Apps, JavaScript and much more. Keep your
>         skills current
>         with LearnDevNow - 3,200 step-by-step video tutorials by
>         Microsoft
>         MVPs and experts. ON SALE this month only -- learn more at:
>         http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_123012

Adam ([hidden email])

Re: import Image, pyExif

Benny Malengier

2013/1/6 Adam Stein <[hidden email]>
On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 22:03 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
> I added PIL to README couple of days ago because I saw latex output
> used it to create correct images (as latex only supports some image
> types).
>
> It is not essential, and I fixed bug in latex generator, but did not
> test yet if images actually show (my test famtree of the moment did
> not have images).
>
> So, not having PIL will just mean in latex output less pictures are
> available.

Not having PIL will also remove the cropped images in the output reports
(that includes any output format that supports images, not just LaTeX).

Ok. On linux, relying on imagemagick is not difficult. On other platforms that might be a problem?

Re: import Image, pyExif

pat49

Saw a mention of PIL you may be interested in:

"PIL is on its way to Python 3 via Pillow. Support from Brian Crowell and others has been merged into master...."

http://blog.aclark.net/2013/01/10/pillow-python-3/

Re: import Image, pyExif

John Ralls-2

On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Pat Lefebre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Saw a mention of PIL you may be interested in:

"PIL is on its way to Python 3 via Pillow. Support from Brian Crowell and others has been merged into master...."

http://blog.aclark.net/2013/01/10/pillow-python-3/

Oh, great. Yet another PIL-Py3 fork.

It would be much, much better if someone would do a hostile takeover of the SF project, commit the port, and cut a release.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: import Image, pyExif

Benny Malengier

2013/1/11 John Ralls <[hidden email]>

On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Pat Lefebre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Saw a mention of PIL you may be interested in:

"PIL is on its way to Python 3 via Pillow. Support from Brian Crowell and others has been merged into master...."

http://blog.aclark.net/2013/01/10/pillow-python-3/

Oh, great. Yet another PIL-Py3 fork.

Taking over SF would also be a 'fork' some people might not like. I would suggest we choose one, and start to use it. It does not seem we will have new image formats soon (perhaps 3D pics however), so all should be good.
Would be interesting to convince them not to use the word pillow....

Benny