inserting .rtf documents into

write and revise
I would like to take family histories, etc. in the .rtf format or Word2000 into the individual person's file.  The one where the sources, gallery, notes, etc. are located.  Some of my documents have pictures and may be 2-3 pages long.  I have to keep them in a separate file folder for that person on my hard drive.  I have over 2000 persons and it would make it much simpler if there was a tab labeled, "imported document" or something like that.

I am new to Linux, and I am using Linux Mint 10.  If there is no way to do this now, would it be something that could be added?  This is great!  Can you imagine Microsoft fulfilling a request like this, or even entertaining it?

Thanks so much for all your hard work.

zippytex  (Mary)

Re: inserting .rtf documents into

Benny Malengier

2011/5/11 write and revise <[hidden email]>
I would like to take family histories, etc. in the .rtf format or Word2000 into the individual person's file.  The one where the sources, gallery, notes, etc. are located.  Some of my documents have pictures and may be 2-3 pages long.  I have to keep them in a separate file folder for that person on my hard drive.  I have over 2000 persons and it would make it much simpler if there was a tab labeled, "imported document" or something like that.

Not sure what you want to do. How can the software know to what person to add a document?
Anyway, if you just want to add quickly media in the Gallery, then open the person, and drag and drop from your file manager into the gallery tab.

You want to copy paste information from the rtf file into Gramps, then that will be a manual operation, I can't image how that could be done automatically. However, copy paste should grab most data.
It is good practice to add correct sources to everything you enter anyway, so you don't want have errors on importing, ....

Benny

I am new to Linux, and I am using Linux Mint 10.  If there is no way to do this now, would it be something that could be added?  This is great!  Can you imagine Microsoft fulfilling a request like this, or even entertaining it?

Thanks so much for all your hard work.

zippytex  (Mary)

Re: inserting .rtf documents into

Benny Malengier

2011/5/13 write and revise <[hidden email]>
Obviously, I do not know anything about how programs are created.  I do love Gramps, especially that individual person page with all the tabs, showing gallery, etc.  I was just wishing there was a place, a tab, where we could put previously created family history documents, so everything would be together.  Do you think I could had a word document under the media tab and then just double click on it and have Word open?  Of course I would have to save the file to the home folder and then replace it in the media file.   I guess it is impossible to insert a .rtf word processor in a tab.  Anyway, thanks.

Yes, you can have an rtf document in the gallery tab, and if gramps is correctly installed it will open openoffice or MS Office on doubleclick.
Many people add documents like that. We used to call Gallery "Media" I think, but that was a bit confusing. It is called Gallery now, but the idea is you can add all documents there, not just pictures.

It is not bad practice to add some data in a note you attach to a person, as you can then search in Gramps and it will find text in this note, but an office document allows more formatting, so is ideal to add an interview, research, ... to Gramps.

Benny

Re: inserting .rtf documents into

Duncan Lithgow-5
Someone else recently asked the same question. Can I suggest it's time to change the name of the gallery tab, to be called 'Media' instead? I think that's the confusion.

Duncan

--
'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates

Re: inserting .rtf documents into

Martin Ewing

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Someone else recently asked the same question. Can I suggest it's time to change the name of the gallery tab, to be called 'Media' instead? I think that's the confusion.

Duncan

"Media" mainly suggests sound and video to me, and a "Gallery" is something visual.  "Documents" would be more inclusive, but it is tilted (in my view) toward text.

A more neutral term might be "Files".

When we start including .doc, .rtf, and especially .txt files, there is a considerable overlap (in a user's mind) with the "Notes" facility.  This is not to say we shouldn't provide for Notes and Files separately - they do behave very differently, but that the user interface gets a little more muddled if we do.

Martin

--
Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

2011/5/14 Martin Ewing <[hidden email]>

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Someone else recently asked the same question. Can I suggest it's time to change the name of the gallery tab, to be called 'Media' instead? I think that's the confusion.

Duncan

"Media" mainly suggests sound and video to me, and a "Gallery" is something visual.  "Documents" would be more inclusive, but it is tilted (in my view) toward text.

A more neutral term might be "Files".

I think most things that are kept are pictures and scans.
So Gallery is a good short term to make this discoverable. An UI should also not try to explain too much.
After all, when adding a 'Document', you will see the reference region, which is obviously only something for pictures.

Benny

When we start including .doc, .rtf, and especially .txt files, there is a considerable overlap (in a user's mind) with the "Notes" facility.  This is not to say we shouldn't provide for Notes and Files separately - they do behave very differently, but that the user interface gets a little more muddled if we do.

Martin

--
Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: inserting .rtf documents into

Note, keep in mind that RTF file format has some limitations (design) for handling non-ASCII characters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format#Character_encoding

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

-----La pièce jointe associée suit-----