Quantcast

irc channel problems

Benny Malengier
Does anybody know who the operator for the #gramps irc channel is ?

Re: irc channel problems

Stéphane Charette-2
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:47, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anybody know who the operator for the #gramps irc channel is ?
>
> Benny

If we don't have a bot to auto-op users as they login (which we don't
seem to have) then the operator is whoever happens to be logged in as
ops...which is no-one.

Now my irc knowledge is limited to "in-the-early-days", so things may
have changed since, but as far as I understand, the only way to get
ops back is to completely empty the channel -- thereby killing it --
and restarting the channel.

Stéphane

Re: irc channel problems

Luigi Toscano
Stéphane Charette wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:47, Benny Malengier wrote:
>> Does anybody know who the operator for the #gramps irc channel is ?
>
> If we don't have a bot to auto-op users as they login (which we don't
> seem to have) then the operator is whoever happens to be logged in as
> ops...which is no-one.
>
> Now my irc knowledge is limited to "in-the-early-days", so things may
> have changed since, but as far as I understand, the only way to get
> ops back is to completely empty the channel -- thereby killing it --
> and restarting the channel.

Not on freenode (neither on oftc) when the channel is registered, like
#gramps. Registered channels do not expire:
http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#channelexpirations

Services are really important on freenode; to see the access list for a
channel, you can ask to ChanServ:
/msg chanserv access #gramps list

In case of trouble (i.e. when the founder of the channel and all operators are
no more around), you can always contact freenode administrators.

Luigi

Re: irc channel problems

Benny Malengier
2010/3/15 Luigi Toscano <[hidden email]>:

> Stéphane Charette wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:47, Benny Malengier wrote:
>>> Does anybody know who the operator for the #gramps irc channel is ?
>>
>> If we don't have a bot to auto-op users as they login (which we don't
>> seem to have) then the operator is whoever happens to be logged in as
>> ops...which is no-one.
>>
>> Now my irc knowledge is limited to "in-the-early-days", so things may
>> have changed since, but as far as I understand, the only way to get
>> ops back is to completely empty the channel -- thereby killing it --
>> and restarting the channel.
>
> Not on freenode (neither on oftc) when the channel is registered, like
> #gramps. Registered channels do not expire:
> http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#channelexpirations
>
> Services are really important on freenode; to see the access list for a
> channel, you can ask to ChanServ:
> /msg chanserv access #gramps list
>
> In case of trouble (i.e. when the founder of the channel and all operators are
> no more around), you can always contact freenode administrators.

Luigi,

as you seem to know some of this, and the setup of IRC is from before
my time, can you investigate and if possible become operator? Then you
can make stephane opeator over a week or so, when he comes back home
and online.
His main aim at the moment was to change the login message to indicate
3.2.0 is released, and the name of the release.

Benny

> Regards,
> --
> Luigi

Re: irc channel problems

Frederico Munoz

I'll shamefully hijack the thread to add a not completely unrelated
note: it would be nice to have people in the IRC channel. Not that I
need long talks with people I don't know, but I'm there most nights
and the only thing I have ever heard was the code commit bot ;)

So, do come by, it is always interesting to have fellow genealogists
and Gramps users around to talk with.
Regards,

Frederico

Re: irc channel problems

Bugzilla from frode.jemtland@skolelinux.no
Hello.

Back in the old days I created this channel. It has been quite a while sins
the last time I have used my registered nick on freenode, so it seems I have
to revitalize it.... I'll see what the ops can do with it.

--
-Frode

Ambiguity:
        Telling the truth when you don't mean to.

Re: irc channel problems

Luigi Toscano
Benny Malengier wrote:
> Luigi,
>
> as you seem to know some of this, and the setup of IRC is from before
> my time, can you investigate and if possible become operator? Then you
> can make stephane opeator over a week or so, when he comes back home
> and online.

I asked on #freenode (the staff channel), and they told me to register as a group:
http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml

Do you know if such registration has been already performed in the past?

At least one contact is required. Each contact for a group (both primary and
secondary) is verified (by a phone call). Quoting from that page:
"Informal, project-oriented groups. [...]If the group is run by a single
project leader or developer, that person should submit a group registration
form. If the group is run by two equal participants, each should submit a
group registration form to make it clear that both wish to have the group
registered.  If it's run by a larger core group or by voting across the
project, the voting group should make a collective decision to register and
should appoint one of their number as primary contact."

This suggests that the primary contact for the group should be a core developer.

Suggestions/comments/ideas? :)

Regards
--
Luigi

Re: irc channel problems

Benny Malengier
2010/3/16 Luigi Toscano <[hidden email]>:

> Benny Malengier wrote:
>> Luigi,
>>
>> as you seem to know some of this, and the setup of IRC is from before
>> my time, can you investigate and if possible become operator? Then you
>> can make stephane opeator over a week or so, when he comes back home
>> and online.
>
> I asked on #freenode (the staff channel), and they told me to register as a group:
> http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml
>
> Do you know if such registration has been already performed in the past?
>
> At least one contact is required. Each contact for a group (both primary and
> secondary) is verified (by a phone call). Quoting from that page:
> "Informal, project-oriented groups. [...]If the group is run by a single
> project leader or developer, that person should submit a group registration
> form. If the group is run by two equal participants, each should submit a
> group registration form to make it clear that both wish to have the group
> registered.  If it's run by a larger core group or by voting across the
> project, the voting group should make a collective decision to register and
> should appoint one of their number as primary contact."
>
> This suggests that the primary contact for the group should be a core developer.
>
> Suggestions/comments/ideas? :)

Let's see if Frodo can revive the existing channel as ops. If Stephane
is right, he can then make other people ops.
If not, we will need somebody they can contact. I hate telephones. It
would also be nice if it is about genealogy and gramps, not so much
the gramps programming project, so I would prefer somebody who does
more genealogy than I have time for.
Jerome, or somebody else of the translating team interested?

Benny

> Regards
> --
> Luigi

Re: irc channel problems

Jon Clements-2
To renew an existing subject - which for some strange reason didn't
appear until now.

I was a founder of an IRC network and was IRCop (O) not (o) and 2nd in
command of
writing and using the chanserv and nickserv programs we'd done for
that network.

Was also admin on 3 servers (OtherNet, Efnet and UnderNet).

So if it's the least I can do, I'd be happy to admin the channel, not
that it appears to
have a lot of traffic. I was ops in #mirc_lounge, #bluelagoon and
various other channels
that consistently had 90+ users).

Cheers,

Jon.