keybindings

Duncan Lithgow
I like keybindings, using AutoCAD a fair bit for a while I realised how
fast you can get using them once they're familiar.

At the moment the only keybinding listed in the manual is:

* Enter - Invoke Edit Person dialog with the selected person.

one that I know exists so should be added is:
* A thru Z   - Goes to the appropriate family name. You can press
additional keys to be more exact.

And I'd like to suggest some more:

* Alt + C - Close all family name lists.
* RETURN  - Open the highlighted family name list.
* Alt + F - Invoke Family view dialog with the selected person

Putting then in the manual in a sensible order we'd get:
----------------------
* Alt + C - Close all family name lists.
* A thru Z   - Goes to the appropriate family name. You can press
additional keys to be more exact.
* RETURN  - Open the highlighted family name list.
* Enter - Invoke Edit Person dialog with the selected person.
* Alt + F - Invoke Family view dialog with the selected person
-----------------------------
What do people think? Good idea? Stupid?

Duncan

Re: keybindings

Stefan Björk
> What do people think? Good idea? Stupid?

I think it's an excellent idea. I myself do not like graphical
interfaces and mouse-click-click-click, so anything that allows using
the keyboard more is a good thing, in my opinion.

There are even more shortcuts that I would like to see in Gramps, like
F-keys for the different views.

Stefan

--
Stefan Björk, student                http://www.acc.umu.se/~skalman/
Umeå Universitet                                      +46-70-6222437

Re: keybindings

Alex Roitman
Duncan,

I agree that more keybidings is better.

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 22:24 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> I like keybindings, using AutoCAD a fair bit for a while I realised how
> fast you can get using them once they're familiar.
>
> At the moment the only keybinding listed in the manual is:
>
> * Enter - Invoke Edit Person dialog with the selected person.
>
> one that I know exists so should be added is:
> * A thru Z   - Goes to the appropriate family name. You can press
> additional keys to be more exact.
True in most gtk list views.

> And I'd like to suggest some more:
>
> * Alt + C - Close all family name lists.
> * RETURN  - Open the highlighted family name list.
> * Alt + F - Invoke Family view dialog with the selected person

The problem with Alt+<KEY> is that it is used by default for
all the hotkeys. E.g. to access File menu, one can use Alt+F
(the underscored F character is a hint about the hotkey).

Same is true inside any dialog or other gramps window:
most fields, menus, buttons, and other widgets have hotkeys.
Since they are labeled with the underscore, there's no need
to list them in the manual. Well, as long as the user
is aware of this :-)

So using Alt+Anything will deviate from this overall mnemonic
rule: Alt+Anything == _Anything

We could use Ctrl+Anything, Ctrl+Shift+Anything, and Ctrl+Alt+
anything and Shift+Alt+Anything and even Shit+Control+Alt+Anything
We can also use the F1--F12 keys as Stefan suggested.

But overall, I think we should aim at being consistent with
other gtk/gnome apps. If File->Open is Ctrl+O for most software,
we should stick to it as well.

> * RETURN  - Open the highlighted family name list.

This would be good. Same on Space.
Provided the focus is on the tree node.

> * Enter - Invoke Edit Person dialog with the selected person.

Enter and Return should do the same thing. Some keyboards have
only one and not the other.

> * Alt + F - Invoke Family view dialog with the selected person

I would not use it, as explained above.

Alex