linking images

Duncan Lithgow
It seems that linking images to a gramps database is a bit inflexible.
My setup is as such:

-home dir
--gramps-data dir
---database file
---gramps-images dir

I want to link images from the gramp-images directory to the database.
No problem, until I move the gramps-data somewhere else. Suddenly even
though a relative path would still work - the dialogue won't seem to
accept them.

Should I make a feature request or what? I often reshuffle where
directories are on my machine, which screws up all the images - - please
help.

Duncan

Re: linking images

Brian Matherly-2
I don't have a solution to this problem, but I would like to mention that I too suffer from this same problem.

~Brian

Re: linking images

Richard Bos
Op donderdag 12 januari 2006 23:37, schreef Duncan Lithgow:

> It seems that linking images to a gramps database is a bit inflexible.
> My setup is as such:
>
> -home dir
> --gramps-data dir
> ---database file
> ---gramps-images dir
>
> I want to link images from the gramp-images directory to the database.
> No problem, until I move the gramps-data somewhere else. Suddenly even
> though a relative path would still work - the dialogue won't seem to
> accept them.
>
> Should I make a feature request or what? I often reshuffle where
> directories are on my machine, which screws up all the images - - please
> help.

If I'm not mistaken a kde photo application (kimdaba) calculates the md5sum of
each picture, and it uses the md5sum to store information about the picture.
Initially this is slow as the sum has to be calculated for each file, however
it comes in handy when the pcitures are moved.  because it is now possible to
recognize the pictures by their md5sum, at the same time their metadata can
be reused....

More about kimdaba at: http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba/tour/

--
Richard Bos