long place names in family lines graph

JRSibert
I've be using Gramps for several years and recently had cause to upgrade my
OS and Gramps version to Gramps 5.1.1, Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.

The place names include town, county, state, and country. When displayed in
the family lines graph, the boxes for people are stretched so much they
distort the tree. Is there any way to restrict the display of place names to
simply include on item, eg, state?

If not, I would be willing to get my hands dirty with the code. I have a lot
of programming experience including Python. If someone would guide me to he
appropriate places in the code, I could give it a try.

Thanks for listening and for any help you can provide,
John

Re: long place names in family lines graph

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

The place records are said to be altered in the next major upgrade,
One of the enhancements talked about here was the use of
abbreviations.  When and if this will happen ?? others would know
better than me.

In the here and now, try altering what is displayed in the place
settings in Preferences. You can set up multiple place profiles. One
of the options is setting which levels in the hierarchy to print,

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Place_Format_Editor

I created one profile I call Populated Place with the Levels p0,-2.
This limits the place display to City/Town, State. It strips out the
county, and any lower level places under the city; cemeteries,
addresses etc. p0, -2, -1 adds the Country.

This allows you to change the place structure for the report then
quickly reverting back to your normal display.

If you want to know what and where to find code files. Go to the
plugin manager, find the feature and open the info box. It will tell
you what and where to find it.

HTH Dave

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM JRSibert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've be using Gramps for several years and recently had cause to upgrade my
> OS and Gramps version to Gramps 5.1.1, Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.
>
> The place names include town, county, state, and country. When displayed in
> the family lines graph, the boxes for people are stretched so much they
> distort the tree. Is there any way to restrict the display of place names to
> simply include on item, eg, state?
>
> If not, I would be willing to get my hands dirty with the code. I have a lot
> of programming experience including Python. If someone would guide me to he
> appropriate places in the code, I could give it a try.
>
> Thanks for listening and for any help you can provide,
> John
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: long place names in family lines graph

Nick Hall
On 02/11/2019 00:45, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> When and if this will happen ?? others would know
> better than me.

This is still planned for the next major release in mid July 2020.

Re: long place names in family lines graph

JRSibert
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the help. I was able to create a place display preference
that fits more comfortably in the boxes in family lines graph.
Unfortunately, it will require a lot of editing to get the places into
the correct hierarchy. I did not understand the Gramps way of recording
places and have been a little /ad hoc/ in my practice over the past few
years.

Also I was able to find the code for the family lines graph, but have
not tried to hack it.

Thanks again,

John

On 11/1/19 5:45 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> The place records are said to be altered in the next major upgrade,
> One of the enhancements talked about here was the use of
> abbreviations.  When and if this will happen ?? others would know
> better than me.
>
> In the here and now, try altering what is displayed in the place
> settings in Preferences. You can set up multiple place profiles. One
> of the options is setting which levels in the hierarchy to print,
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Place_Format_Editor
>
> I created one profile I call Populated Place with the Levels p0,-2.
> This limits the place display to City/Town, State. It strips out the
> county, and any lower level places under the city; cemeteries,
> addresses etc. p0, -2, -1 adds the Country.
>
> This allows you to change the place structure for the report then
> quickly reverting back to your normal display.
>
> If you want to know what and where to find code files. Go to the
> plugin manager, find the feature and open the info box. It will tell
> you what and where to find it.
>
> HTH Dave
>
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM JRSibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've be using Gramps for several years and recently had cause to upgrade my
>> OS and Gramps version to Gramps 5.1.1, Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.
>>
>> The place names include town, county, state, and country. When displayed in
>> the family lines graph, the boxes for people are stretched so much they
>> distort the tree. Is there any way to restrict the display of place names to
>> simply include on item, eg, state?
>>
>> If not, I would be willing to get my hands dirty with the code. I have a lot
>> of programming experience including Python. If someone would guide me to he
>> appropriate places in the code, I could give it a try.
>>
>> Thanks for listening and for any help you can provide,
>> John
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: long place names in family lines graph

Dave Scheipers
Hi John

I migrated to Gramps before version 4 when the places where
non-hierarchical. I never got all the places "cleaned" setting each
place to the same standard entry format. And then there was the
upgrade to hierarchical. I started to clean and reclean those records
once again. And then I fully understood how to take advantage of
making place dynamic based upon the event date. So I restarted editing
the place records once again.  And as Nick said, more changes are
coming in a year.

I keep reminding myself I am doing genealogy not making a place
gazetteer. I work the places and their neighbors as I slowing work
through editing each person and family in my tree.

But if you are just starting the clean and editing process, there are
toolsthat will help in the process. There is the Place Cleanup app,
and the GetGov app for Europe.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Addon:PlaceCleanupGramplet

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Addon:GetGOV

And this past week there was discussion of GeoFinder and other tools
outside of gramps. See Connie's thread Places.

Good luck, Dave

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 1:36 PM John Sibert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the help. I was able to create a place display preference
> that fits more comfortably in the boxes in family lines graph.
> Unfortunately, it will require a lot of editing to get the places into
> the correct hierarchy. I did not understand the Gramps way of recording
> places and have been a little /ad hoc/ in my practice over the past few
> years.
>
> Also I was able to find the code for the family lines graph, but have
> not tried to hack it.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> John
>
> On 11/1/19 5:45 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > The place records are said to be altered in the next major upgrade,
> > One of the enhancements talked about here was the use of
> > abbreviations.  When and if this will happen ?? others would know
> > better than me.
> >
> > In the here and now, try altering what is displayed in the place
> > settings in Preferences. You can set up multiple place profiles. One
> > of the options is setting which levels in the hierarchy to print,
> >
> > https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Place_Format_Editor
> >
> > I created one profile I call Populated Place with the Levels p0,-2.
> > This limits the place display to City/Town, State. It strips out the
> > county, and any lower level places under the city; cemeteries,
> > addresses etc. p0, -2, -1 adds the Country.
> >
> > This allows you to change the place structure for the report then
> > quickly reverting back to your normal display.
> >
> > If you want to know what and where to find code files. Go to the
> > plugin manager, find the feature and open the info box. It will tell
> > you what and where to find it.
> >
> > HTH Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM JRSibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've be using Gramps for several years and recently had cause to upgrade my
> >> OS and Gramps version to Gramps 5.1.1, Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.
> >>
> >> The place names include town, county, state, and country. When displayed in
> >> the family lines graph, the boxes for people are stretched so much they
> >> distort the tree. Is there any way to restrict the display of place names to
> >> simply include on item, eg, state?
> >>
> >> If not, I would be willing to get my hands dirty with the code. I have a lot
> >> of programming experience including Python. If someone would guide me to he
> >> appropriate places in the code, I could give it a try.
> >>
> >> Thanks for listening and for any help you can provide,
> >> John
> >>

> >> --
> >> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: long place names in family lines graph

JRSibert
Thanks, Dave. I made a short format that works just fine.

Cheers, John