loting

bm-7

I would like to ask this international audience if in their country the practice
of doing a lottery to go into military service has existed.

In Belgium this has been common for a lot of years, and a lot of old sources are
available, and helpful for genealogical research (as all young men had to take
part in it). So the custom event 'loting' is probably in every belgian
database, however everybody will have slight change in wording (loting,
lotterij, trekking, ...).

Did this practice exist also in your countries, and if so, what was it called?

If many countries had this, a standard translated event might be considered, and
would be helpful for sharing data.

Re: loting

Durand Daniel
On Friday 23 February 2007 10:08:07 [hidden email] wrote:
> I would like to ask this international audience if in their country the
> practice of doing a lottery to go into military service has existed.
>
> In Belgium this has been common for a lot of years,

In France, this practice existed during the XIXe : it's called in
French : "tirage au sort" (something like "drawing of lots" in english).

--
Cordialement,

Durand Daniel
http://durand-amd.net

Re: loting

Duncan Lithgow-2
Daniel, is that "XIXe" 19th century?

I think that most countries must have had conscription at some time in
the last 500 years . so in that way it would be good to have - I'm
just wary about when these 'tags' stop growing, what are the
implications of the list getting huge?

Duncan