make error on trunk

Craig J. Anderson
I fixed the first error.  just undid what it said was done...

Now I get when I run make:

"
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
Making all in docgen
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
"

I do not know how to fix this error.  Any help?

thanks.

  Craig A.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.

Re: make error on trunk

Brian Matherly
> I fixed the first error.  just undid what it said was
> done...
>
> Now I get when I run make:
>
> "
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> Making all in docgen
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> "
>
> I do not know how to fix this error.  Any help?
>
> thanks.
>
>   Craig A.

Just so you all know... I broke the makefiles when I reorganized the plugins directory. I tried to fix them the best I could, but I have no way to test it under Windows. If anyone is able to fix them, it would be much appreciated.

"make" seems like a heavy weight tool for copying .py files into an install directory. And it isn't very portable across platforms. Surely there is a better way to install a python application. Anyone know of one?

~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Douglas S. Blank
>> I fixed the first error.  just undid what it said was
>> done...
>>
>> Now I get when I run make:
>>
>> "
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
>> Making all in docgen
>> make[3]: Entering directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
>> make[3]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> "
>>
>> I do not know how to fix this error.  Any help?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>>   Craig A.
>
> Just so you all know... I broke the makefiles when I reorganized the
> plugins directory. I tried to fix them the best I could, but I have no way
> to test it under Windows. If anyone is able to fix them, it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> "make" seems like a heavy weight tool for copying .py files into an
> install directory. And it isn't very portable across platforms. Surely
> there is a better way to install a python application. Anyone know of one?

I agree. Have you seen easy_install?

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

I think many people use it across platforms. Haven't tried it yet...

-Doug

> ~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Stephen George
Brian Matherly wrote:

>> I fixed the first error.  just undid what it said was
>> done...
>>
>> Now I get when I run make:
>>
>> "
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
>> Making all in docgen
>> make[3]: Entering directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
>> make[3]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> "
>>
>> I do not know how to fix this error.  Any help?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>>   Craig A.
>>

> Just so you all know... I broke the makefiles when I reorganized the plugins directory. I tried to fix them the best I could, but I have no way to test it under Windows. If anyone is able to fix them, it would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, Windows 'build' does not use the make files to create
a windows installer, it has it's own batch files and nsis install script.

-steve

--
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard
http://www.noooxml.org/petition

Re: make error on trunk

Craig J. Anderson
Sorry, I didn't specify...  I am running ubuntu 8.04 and I am building the trunk to develop on.
I am NOT doing a 'make install'  just 'make' after a fresh 'svn co'

I took a quick look at it yesterday, and yes.  Make is big.
thanks.

  Craig A.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:39:50 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-devel] make error on trunk
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> >> I fixed the first error. just undid what it said was
> >> done...
> >>
> >> Now I get when I run make:
> >>
> >> "
> >> make[2]: Entering directory
> >> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> >> Making all in docgen
> >> make[3]: Entering directory
> >> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> >> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
> >> make[3]: Leaving directory
> >> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> >> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >> make[2]: Leaving directory
> >> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> >> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory
> >> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
> >> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >> "
> >>
> >> I do not know how to fix this error. Any help?
> >>
> >> thanks.
> >>
> >> Craig A.
> >
> > Just so you all know... I broke the makefiles when I reorganized the
> > plugins directory. I tried to fix them the best I could, but I have no way
> > to test it under Windows. If anyone is able to fix them, it would be much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > "make" seems like a heavy weight tool for copying .py files into an
> > install directory. And it isn't very portable across platforms. Surely
> > there is a better way to install a python application. Anyone know of one?
>
> I agree. Have you seen easy_install?
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
>
> I think many people use it across platforms. Haven't tried it yet...
>
> -Doug
>
> > ~Brian

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.

Re: make error on trunk

Brian Matherly
Craig,

> Sorry, I didn't specify...  I am running ubuntu 8.04 and
> I am building the trunk to develop on.
> I am NOT doing a 'make install'  just
> 'make' after a fresh 'svn co'
>
> I took a quick look at it yesterday, and yes.  Make is big.
> thanks.

You don't need Make to develop on trunk. With python, there is nothing to "build". You just run it.

Do this:

1) Run "autogen.sh" OR, you can just copy "src/const.py.in" to "src/const.py" because that's all you really need.

2) "cd src", "python gramps.py"

That's it. No special building required.

May I suggest that you look into "pylint" and "eclipse" with the "pydev" extension. It makes for a really nice development environment with full graphical debugger and automatic syntax checking.

~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

2009/1/19 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
> I fixed the first error.  just undid what it said was
> done...
>
> Now I get when I run make:
>
> "
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> Making all in docgen
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins/docgen'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src/plugins'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gramps/gramps-trunk/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> "
>
> I do not know how to fix this error.  Any help?
>
> thanks.
>
>   Craig A.

Just so you all know... I broke the makefiles when I reorganized the plugins directory. I tried to fix them the best I could, but I have no way to test it under Windows. If anyone is able to fix them, it would be much appreciated.

"make" seems like a heavy weight tool for copying .py files into an install directory. And it isn't very portable across platforms. Surely there is a better way to install a python application. Anyone know of one?

python-setuptools

I used it a bit for a scipy scikit tool I did. Was really easy, and that was for fortran compiling and stuff, the things in GRAMPS should be much easier now that manual generation is not there anymore. Not sure about the dtd schema's and such though.
I don't know other real python apps from the top of my head, except http://www.goghproject.com/ , look at the setup.py file.

Installation is then
python setup.py install

You can register with easyinstall then and host new versions there via egg files, but I did not look into this yet for the tool I build.

Benny

~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Brian,

> Run "autogen.sh" OR, you can just copy "src/const.py.in" to "src/const.py" because that's all you really need.

Seems that a variable is missing on const.py.in  ?

+ USER_DOCGEN = os.path.join(HOME_DIR, "docgen")

Maybe related to ./gramps/docgen

Brian Matherly a écrit :

> Craig,
>
>> Sorry, I didn't specify...  I am running ubuntu 8.04 and
>> I am building the trunk to develop on.
>> I am NOT doing a 'make install'  just
>> 'make' after a fresh 'svn co'
>>
>> I took a quick look at it yesterday, and yes.  Make is big.
>> thanks.
>
> You don't need Make to develop on trunk. With python, there is nothing to "build". You just run it.
>
> Do this:
>
> 1) Run "autogen.sh" OR, you can just copy "src/const.py.in" to "src/const.py" because that's all you really need.
>
> 2) "cd src", "python gramps.py"
>
> That's it. No special building required.
>
> May I suggest that you look into "pylint" and "eclipse" with the "pydev" extension. It makes for a really nice development environment with full graphical debugger and automatic syntax checking.
>
> ~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Brian Matherly
Jerome,

> > Run "autogen.sh" OR, you can just copy
> "src/const.py.in" to "src/const.py"
> because that's all you really need.
>
> Seems that a variable is missing on const.py.in  ?
>
> + USER_DOCGEN = os.path.join(HOME_DIR, "docgen")

I removed that on purpose because it is not needed. Is it causing you problems?

~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

jerome
Brian,

> Is it causing you problems?

I renamed src/const.in to src/const.py
$ python gramps.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "gramps.py", line 31, in <module>
     import const
   File "src/const.py", line 119, in <module>
     USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
NameError: name 'USER_DOCGEN' is not defined

> I removed that on purpose because it is not needed.

I do not know if it was used !
I suppose change on const.py.in might be :

Brian Matherly a écrit :

> Jerome,
>
>>> Run "autogen.sh" OR, you can just copy
>> "src/const.py.in" to "src/const.py"
>> because that's all you really need.
>>
>> Seems that a variable is missing on const.py.in  ?
>>
>> + USER_DOCGEN = os.path.join(HOME_DIR, "docgen")
>
> I removed that on purpose because it is not needed. Is it causing you problems?
>
> ~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Brian Matherly
Jerome,

> Brian,
>
> > Is it causing you problems?
>
> I renamed src/const.in to src/const.py
> $ python gramps.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "gramps.py", line 31, in <module>
>      import const
>    File "src/const.py", line 119, in
> <module>
>      USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
> NameError: name 'USER_DOCGEN' is not defined
>
> > I removed that on purpose because it is not needed.
>
> I do not know if it was used !
> I suppose change on const.py.in might be :
>
> -    USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
> +    USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)

Yes, please make that change.

My fault again. Sorry.

~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

jerome
Brian,

> My fault again. Sorry.

!!!
I know you are working on plugin management.
I hope each revision cannot fully work or we will never commit changes ;)

Just a question :
What is planned for src/plugins/textreport/Summary.py and
src/plugins/gramplet/DefaultGramplets.py (class StatsGramplet) ?
Sounds like src/plugins/Records.py ? (gramplet + textreport)

Jérôme

Brian Matherly a écrit :

> Jerome,
>
>> Brian,
>>
>>> Is it causing you problems?
>> I renamed src/const.in to src/const.py
>> $ python gramps.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "gramps.py", line 31, in <module>
>>      import const
>>    File "src/const.py", line 119, in
>> <module>
>>      USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>> NameError: name 'USER_DOCGEN' is not defined
>>
>>> I removed that on purpose because it is not needed.
>> I do not know if it was used !
>> I suppose change on const.py.in might be :
>>
>> -    USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>> +    USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>
> Yes, please make that change.
>
> My fault again. Sorry.
>
> ~Brian

Re: make error on trunk

Benny Malengier
All should work again after svn up
configure.in was not updated.

Benny

2009/1/19 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
Brian,

> My fault again. Sorry.

!!!

Brian Matherly a écrit :
> Jerome,
>
>> Brian,
>>
>>> Is it causing you problems?
>> I renamed src/const.in to src/const.py
>> $ python gramps.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "gramps.py", line 31, in <module>
>>      import const
>>    File "src/const.py", line 119, in
>> <module>
>>      USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>> NameError: name 'USER_DOCGEN' is not defined
>>
>>> I removed that on purpose because it is not needed.
>> I do not know if it was used !
>> I suppose change on const.py.in might be :
>>
>> -    USER_DOCGEN, USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>> +    USER_PLUGINS, USER_TEMPLATES)
>
> Yes, please make that change.
>
> My fault again. Sorry.
>
> ~Brian

Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

Brian Matherly
> Have you seen easy_install?
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
>
> I think many people use it across platforms. Haven't
> tried it yet...
>
> -Doug

I just had a chance to look over that site. It looks REALLY nice. It would sure make installation convenient for users.

Does anyone know if we need/use Make for anything other than bundling distributable packages and installing files? Is it needed for translation generation?

~Brian

Re: Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

Benny Malengier

2009/1/21 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
> Have you seen easy_install?
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
>
> I think many people use it across platforms. Haven't
> tried it yet...
>
> -Doug

I just had a chance to look over that site. It looks REALLY nice. It would sure make installation convenient for users.

Does anyone know if we need/use Make for anything other than bundling distributable packages and installing files? Is it needed for translation generation?

I think the setuptools can handle that too.
If not, one could always use make for the non-code aspect, as that is in the /data and /po dirs, not in the dirs where the code is.

I think for 3.2, when 3.1 is 6 months released (major bugs removed) we should just break the system, remove make and redo the dir structure (cli, gui, ..).  Get it over with.

Re: Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

Brian Matherly
> I think for 3.2, when 3.1 is 6 months released (major bugs
> removed) we
> should just break the system, remove make and redo the dir
> structure (cli,
> gui, ..).  Get it over with.
>
> Benny

I like the way you think. If we tear it all apart so that it doesn't work, then we will be forced to put it back together :)

~Brian

Re: Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

Nick Wallingford-2
Hey, I've got no python skills at all, but having just destroyed a shed,
garage and carport at my mother-in-law's house, maybe I have something
to contribute to the GRAMPS project???  Turns out I'm pretty good at
breaking things!

Nick

Brian Matherly wrote:

>> I think for 3.2, when 3.1 is 6 months released (major bugs
>> removed) we
>> should just break the system, remove make and redo the dir
>> structure (cli,
>> gui, ..).  Get it over with.
>>
>> Benny
>
> I like the way you think. If we tear it all apart so that it doesn't work, then we will be forced to put it back together :)
>
> ~Brian

Re: Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

>> Does anyone know if we need/use Make for anything other than
>>     bundling distributable packages and installing files? Is it needed
>>     for translation generation?
>>

> I think the setuptools can handle that too.
> If not, one could always use make for the non-code aspect, as that is in
> the /data and /po dirs, not in the dirs where the code is.

I tried to remember ... and updated the wiki !
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Coding_for_translation#How_it_works

Gramps-2.0.x used two scripts :
http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/gramps20/gramps2/src/build_po
http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/gramps20/gramps2/src/get_strings

but pygettext is deprecated : "pygettext attempts to be option and
feature compatible with GNU xgettext where ever possible. However some
options are still missing or are not fully implemented. Also, xgettext's
use of command line switches with option arguments is broken, and in
these cases, pygettext just defines additional switches."

Now, GRAMPS is using GNOME "build infrastructure" (glib-gettext) :
http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/build-changes.html

Jérôme

2009/2/12 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
[...]

I looked a bit more into this, and don't know anymore if setuptools is ok for GRAMPS. It installs normally to site-packages standard, so is more for a library.
It might be interesting to install gen.lib as a package for python, but otherwise....

Best would be to do a survey of some other gramps applications and see how they distribute themselves. Any volunteers for this?
I found this project with little activity: http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gogh/?root=gogh
It only uses setup.py, and has internationalization, but I don't see how gettext is run there.

Re: Replacing Make (was "make error on trunk")

Josip
Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/2/12 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>             Does anyone know if we need/use Make for anything other than
>                bundling distributable packages and installing files? Is
>             it needed
>                for translation generation?
>

>         I think the setuptools can handle that too.
>         If not, one could always use make for the non-code aspect, as
>         that is in the /data and /po dirs, not in the dirs where the
>         code is.
>

>     I tried to remember ... and updated the wiki !
>     http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Coding_for_translation#How_it_works
>
>     Gramps-2.0.x used two scripts :
>     http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/gramps20/gramps2/src/build_po
>     http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/gramps20/gramps2/src/get_strings
>
>     but pygettext is deprecated : "pygettext attempts to be option and
>     feature compatible with GNU xgettext where ever possible. However
>     some options are still missing or are not fully implemented. Also,
>     xgettext's use of command line switches with option arguments is
>     broken, and in these cases, pygettext just defines additional switches."

pygettext don't support plurals

>     Now, GRAMPS is using GNOME "build infrastructure" (glib-gettext) :
>     http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/build-changes.html
>     <http://www.gnome.org/%7Emalcolm/i18n/build-changes.html>
>

> I looked a bit more into this, and don't know anymore if setuptools is
> ok for GRAMPS. It installs normally to site-packages standard, so is
> more for a library.
> It might be interesting to install gen.lib as a package for python, but
> otherwise....
>
> Best would be to do a survey of some other gramps applications and see
> how they distribute themselves. Any volunteers for this?
> I found this project with little activity:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gogh/?root=gogh
> It only uses setup.py, and has internationalization, but I don't see how
> gettext is run there.

All preparations for translation is made out of repository and just
final compiled messages included.
Else you need something like babel for setuptools:
    http://babel.edgewall.org/

Catalogue is in their own subdirectory!!!

Distributions usually like to do compilation by themselves and put files
where they think it belongs.
Or packagers try to disassemble tarball and do it their way, like Arch in:
    http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gogh/gogh/

--
Josip