marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

Dionysis Boukouvalas

If I select as a person's spouse an existing person that is also one's cousin, I guess data are repeated in two different places of the tree, right?

In that case, I would like to select each time which of the two duplicates is shown on graph view and printed of the relationship graph.

I.e. is there a way to filter the display to selectively avoid display of duplicates?

Please also respond to my personal email address as well - I suspect I don't always get the mailing list replies (just want to check this out).

Dionysis.

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

prculley
If you are selecting existing persons to add to a relationship (like spouse), the data Gramps stores for that person is not repeated, an internal linkage is made in the family to the selected person.  Only if you 'Add' a person as a spouse is that person new and separate and possibly duplicated.

As to how cousins who are married are shown on charts/graphs, it depends on the report/graph.  The relationship graph only shows the data once, and draws the necessary lines to connect cousins being married.  The ancestor chart does show ancestors twice.  I expect that the descendant chart does the same for the married cousin.

Since this list doesn't allow much of an attachment, I'll only include a relationship graph.

Paul C.

rel_graph_example.pdf (35K) Download Attachment

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

Dionysis Boukouvalas

I tried it and indeed Gramps heroicly produced a chart in a way that it brought the two people under question near the middle (horizontaly) in a way that it was possible to show their offspring only once, making sense for both sides of the chart. Problem is, the same thing happened with two other people in the same branch of the tree. When I tried that for them two, it was understandably impossible to manage, and lines starting getting entangled.

What I would like to have as a gramps option (suggestion for the future?) is a way to select which side of the two I would like to have displayed each time I see or print the graph (maybe both, if I so opted). I am guessing this is not possible at gramps at the time (?)

Dionysis.

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

prculley
That's what filters are for. If there's a particular person or branch of the tree that you don't want to display at the moment then define a filter to exclude that person or branch.  It might be easier to define a filter for who to show if that's easier.

Then use the filter when plotting the tree.

I  usually have to use filters to simplify my tree for plotting, it is simply too large and complex to show the whole thing at once.  But with different filter sets, you can plot multiple times and see everything on one plot or another.

Paul Culley

On Dec 2, 2017 12:27 PM, "Dionysis Boukouvalas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried it and indeed Gramps heroicly produced a chart in a way that it brought the two people under question near the middle (horizontaly) in a way that it was possible to show their offspring only once, making sense for both sides of the chart. Problem is, the same thing happened with two other people in the same branch of the tree. When I tried that for them two, it was understandably impossible to manage, and lines starting getting entangled.

What I would like to have as a gramps option (suggestion for the future?) is a way to select which side of the two I would like to have displayed each time I see or print the graph (maybe both, if I so opted). I am guessing this is not possible at gramps at the time (?)

Dionysis.

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

Dionysis Boukouvalas

Still, it's not like gramps displays duplicate entries in the case mentioned here. Rather it tries to show the marriage between cousins by bringing the parts close together, something which cannot work, as I said, when we have more than one such case. What you are suggesting would ommit some descendants altogether. What I would like, is to have them presented once, under this or that cousin's name, depending on my choice at each time. Is that possible?

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

To verify... which report are you referring to?

On 12/03/2017 04:07 AM, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

Still, it's not like gramps displays duplicate entries in the case mentioned here. Rather it tries to show the marriage between cousins by bringing the parts close together, something which cannot work, as I said, when we have more than one such case. What you are suggesting would ommit some descendants altogether. What I would like, is to have them presented once, under this or that cousin's name, depending on my choice at each time. Is that possible?

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

Dionysis Boukouvalas

relationship graph report

To verify... which report are you referring to?

On 12/03/2017 04:07 AM, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

Still, it's not like gramps displays duplicate entries in the case mentioned here. Rather it tries to show the marriage between cousins by bringing the parts close together, something which cannot work, as I said, when we have more than one such case. What you are suggesting would ommit some descendants altogether. What I would like, is to have them presented once, under this or that cousin's name, depending on my choice at each time. Is that possible?

Re: marriage between cousins and filtered display of duplicate entries

No, because the graph "is what it is".  Especially since both cousins have parents, moving the nodes means that the parent nodes will be affected ("dragged along with them").  Also, Gramps hand the generation of the graph to a separate program.

I've attached a script that tries to minimize the number of crossing lines.  The instructions are at the top of the file.

On 12/03/2017 09:17 AM, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

relationship graph report

[...]

GrampsCrossing0.5MP.py (6K) Download Attachment