media from Windows to Linux

James
I received a copy of an exported familytreemaker program in .ged format.
The media is all full Windows paths.

1. I can change to paths with the mediamanager to be short, not full
paths (from: "/Users/xxx/Documents/Family Tree Maker/" to "") but the
change is not saved.

2. It says "C:/Users/xxx/Documents/Family Tree Maker/..." when I start it.
Where is it getting the "C:" from?

3. Is there a way to set the root of the media?

Gramps
  (Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System)
is a personal genealogy program.

GRAMPS: 5.1.2
Python: 3.8.2 (default, Apr 27 2020, 15:53:34) [...
BSDDB: 6.2.7 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.31.1 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

Re: media from Windows to Linux

Seymour J Metz
C: is the standard windoze boot drive. A full path will always begin either with a drive letter or a host, with appropriate punctuation. There is a root directory for each drive, but no global root directory.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

https://secure-web.cisco.com/12p4UT-zmOJhnIDV-esszRRixwOeV6nKyYB-2OqxTOjF2AeH5S6JO9HraeaHidP4SYXrHFBGlKvfIG-4pTL9x5VJvqzQazHk23whg1loImrbtRQsMv3DsvCNMD3G9FhsnS5vKDIa5D3yAaKGf9aFV6btWybj2hSfyrvznlvKCcJuoGnRiTw0_qei3Her9qjxEEN7b_wmIAlDDqpjuw1hp58v_zxtDc3wPbePg09fWZt1BVj-IRA5EP66aE4NYP5HmoOj-vShJPJbTUKKI5S2VhvC7yc4PIIfegU-q2sspIv8a58Yccy1rEMA121u9ctHCtGVxcAQRqhmQ0XTSM4eIC5W_RpAUXn4hjI09yabNHR5oJ5qDGBHWNsep7s1-EcnnwDbNXhR0NY5CPTO3f7M1WtJby92IChNTvrOouyQUmB7-Mrg-hgB46rcr3p4dbboB/https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fgramps-users

On 2020-06-02 8:25 p.m., Seymour J Metz wrote:
> C: is the standard windoze boot drive. A full path will always begin either with a drive letter or a host, with appropriate punctuation. There is a root directory for each drive, but no global root directory.
There should be a root directory for the media so the family tree can be
moved around without having to change the database on different computers.

Re: media from Windows to Linux

Seymour J Metz
Well, I could argue that MS-DOS should have adopted a Unix naming system and mounted media on empty directories, but they didn't, OS/2 and windoze inherited the DOS naming and we're stuck with it. I have to deal with one of my thumb drives being x:\ (FSVO x) on some systems and /run/media//foo/DFSFAT32 (for some user foo) on openSUSE. I suppose that an enhancement to gramps could do automatic remapping if the need is great enough.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

On 2020-06-02 8:25 p.m., Seymour J Metz wrote:
> C: is the standard windoze boot drive. A full path will always begin either with a drive letter or a host, with appropriate punctuation. There is a root directory for each drive, but no global root directory.
There should be a root directory for the media so the family tree can be
moved around without having to change the database on different computers.

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1qaU-7m0aTNsUPOU6TKOtJTjx1vzSAo-ZOn53qzvJxoAzCf6VLURaNhyTmLLoWlYCGFBiFEf0VYv6p0yw_nnD50X15tIZiRxdtj_fAVkTwmccf9YsPfEG9zwM90Q_1KBQALmCksrSKBlxH6RVeAIkKiqvdj9V-Fc1ZiVRTqOvYyMNETbLAnxUf_ptZ2BdTHqltUYi6SQcEKhIPd4k1ftTrZSqKgdTrFGLdNMKfbQqt5ZBH91x1vo1Kz1UAdnkaXljGSlxSMl1MOBdnsWkCl6-xfhxn0CUKt4Trghj8pVWsl9XCTikuyaiIasMZkU03owQxD7oqd7i1RxTub6hrENbqMv1T4ZD_g9HPoVSurPVQPopgq0VB3M4Xb0mryf2szvRKaKrjI9sQXqOzvFGNrd0pg1vqyWecxnhZ-wYz6xGuDqQK-2r_iP9QMTkTlKbXneQ/https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fgramps-users

Re: media from Windows to Linux

Alain AUPEIX
Le 03/06/2020 à 01:41, James a écrit :
I received a copy of an exported familytreemaker program in .ged format.
The media is all full Windows paths.

1. I can change to paths with the mediamanager to be short, not full paths (from: "/Users/xxx/Documents/Family Tree Maker/" to "") but the change is not saved.

2. It says "C:/Users/xxx/Documents/Family Tree Maker/..." when I start it.
Where is it getting the "C:" from?

3. Is there a way to set the root of the media?

1) Create a path where to locate your medias in in home folder, for exemple

~/media-path

2) replace the windows path in the gedfile

cat gedfile.ged | sed 's|"C:/Users/xxx/Documents/Family Tree Maker/"|"media-path"|g' > newged.ged

3) Create a new database in gramps

4) Set the default path  in gramps to media-path

5) import newged.ged

It ought to work

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
Sites web : JujuLand | Pissobi-Lacassagne | Gadel

On 2020-06-02 11:21 p.m., Seymour J Metz wrote:
> Well, I could argue that MS-DOS should have adopted a Unix naming system and mounted media on empty directories, but they didn't, OS/2 and windoze inherited the DOS naming and we're stuck with it. I have to deal with one of my thumb drives being x:\ (FSVO x) on some systems and /run/media//foo/DFSFAT32 (for some user foo) on openSUSE. I suppose that an enhancement to gramps could do automatic remapping if the need is great enough.

> From: James [[hidden email]]
>
> On 2020-06-02 8:25 p.m., Seymour J Metz wrote:
>> C: is the standard windoze boot drive. A full path will always begin either with a drive letter or a host, with appropriate punctuation. There is a root directory for each drive, but no global root directory.
> There should be a root directory for the media so the family tree can be
> moved around without having to change the database on different computers.
I mean gramps should have a configurable "medias root" so on Windows it
would be "C:/Users/xxx/Documents" and on "Linux /whatever"
then the paths for each media could be "/Family Tree Maker/..." which
would be appended to the configured "media root"

Re: media from Windows to Linux

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 14:01:36 -0400
James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020-06-02 11:21 p.m., Seymour J Metz wrote:

> >> C: is the standard windoze boot drive. A full path will always begin either with a drive letter or a host, with appropriate punctuation. There is a root directory for each drive, but no global root directory.

> > There should be a root directory for the media so the family tree can be
> > moved around without having to change the database on different computers.

> I mean gramps should have a configurable "medias root" so on Windows it
> would be "C:/Users/xxx/Documents" and on "Linux /whatever"
> then the paths for each media could be "/Family Tree Maker/..." which
> would be appended to the configured "media root"

Blindingly simple for Linux: "media root" would be ~

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                       Genius may have its limitations,
                    but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: media from Windows to Linux

J. Allen Crider-2
Gramps does have that.  It is called "Base path for relative media
paths" and is on the General tab of the Preferences.  Of course, if you
have media in different directories you would still have the potential
problem that Linux uses slashes and Windows uses back-slashes as the
separator in paths.