media preview for PDF?

ilf

media preview for PDF?

ilf
Gramps Media has a "Media Preview", but PDF files only display a default
icon:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/gramps/master/images/document.png

What do you think about allowing to set a specific external image to
display as media preview for PDFs?

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.

Re: media preview for PDF?

prculley
It would take a LOT of work, including (I think) a change to the Gramps data model to have a place to store the filename to such image.  Unless we wanted to standardize on something like "Must be located in same directory as pdf file, and have same name but with '.ico' extension".  Even then it would take a fair amount of work.

You can always submit it as an enhancement request (Severity: Feature) on the bug tracker https://gramps-project.org/bugs/bug_report_page.php where it will probably not have much priority.  Or you could figure out how to do it yourself and submit a code patch, where it has a better chance of being accepted.

Paul C.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 9:54 AM ilf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gramps Media has a "Media Preview", but PDF files only display a default
icon:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/gramps/master/images/document.png

What do you think about allowing to set a specific external image to
display as media preview for PDFs?

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.

ilf

Re: media preview for PDF?

ilf
I must admit, I haven't looked at the Gramps code.

When specifying a normal image (PNG, JPG, GIF, TIFF, …) as media, the
media preview is… well, the image in question. So that code is already
available.

As for the data model: For People -> Details the preview is already the
first image of that persons Gallery. Maybe something like "Gallery"
could be added to "Media"?

I'm not sure it makes sense. But in my current workflow, I create two
files for many documents: a PDF with the full data, multiple pages - and
a JPG with the main or most important page of the document, which I can
then use as a preview. So I am working around this limitation, but it
feels rather dirty.

I would welcome suggestions how you handle this differently.

Paul Culley: