merging GEDCOM files

brian fitzgerald
Hi all,

  I manage distinct family groupings with their own trees within a
single database. I do this preserve the confidentiality of the groups
who do not know each other and my sanity! It works for me anyhow.

Each of these groupings has its own GEDCOM, suitably sanitized of course.

When updating my preffered Genetic Genealogy web site with the latest
and greatest GEDCOM, however, a composite of all the GEDCOMs would be best.

My question is; Can you simply append the distinct GEDCOMs together in
some reliable way using linux utilities (sed, etc) or does it take a
completely new GEDCOM export construction to make a usable export. Are
their any utilities out there which can accomplish this?

I would like to avoid the obvious intermediate step of importing all
subject GEDCOMs into a new blank database before re-exporting the whole
to another GEDCOM, if possible.

Brian

Re: merging GEDCOM files

Ron Johnson
On 07/08/2018 09:16 AM, brian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I manage distinct family groupings with their own trees within a single
> database. I do this preserve the confidentiality of the groups who do not
> know each other and my sanity! It works for me anyhow.
>
> Each of these groupings has its own GEDCOM, suitably sanitized of course.
>
> When updating my preffered Genetic Genealogy web site with the latest and
> greatest GEDCOM, however, a composite of all the GEDCOMs would be best.
>
> My question is; Can you simply append the distinct GEDCOMs together in
> some reliable way using linux utilities (sed, etc)

No, since GEDCOM files have separate sections for people, families, places,
citations, notes, etc.

> or does it take a completely new GEDCOM export construction to make a
> usable export.

Yes.

> Are their any utilities out there which can accomplish this?
>
> I would like to avoid the obvious intermediate step of importing all
> subject GEDCOMs into a new blank database before re-exporting the whole to
> another GEDCOM, if possible.

A GEDCOM export of the whole tree seems like it would do what you're want.

Re: merging GEDCOM files

StoltHD
There are utilities out there that merge multiple gedcom files...
here are one link that mention some of them:
https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/match-makers/
Jaran

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 16:28 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
On 07/08/2018 09:16 AM, brian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I manage distinct family groupings with their own trees within a single
> database. I do this preserve the confidentiality of the groups who do not
> know each other and my sanity! It works for me anyhow.
>
> Each of these groupings has its own GEDCOM, suitably sanitized of course.
>
> When updating my preffered Genetic Genealogy web site with the latest and
> greatest GEDCOM, however, a composite of all the GEDCOMs would be best.
>
> My question is; Can you simply append the distinct GEDCOMs together in
> some reliable way using linux utilities (sed, etc)

No, since GEDCOM files have separate sections for people, families, places,
citations, notes, etc.

> or does it take a completely new GEDCOM export construction to make a
> usable export.

Yes.

> Are their any utilities out there which can accomplish this?
>
> I would like to avoid the obvious intermediate step of importing all
> subject GEDCOMs into a new blank database before re-exporting the whole to
> another GEDCOM, if possible.

A GEDCOM export of the whole tree seems like it would do what you're want.

Re: merging GEDCOM files

Gramps allows filters of filters, and -- after more discussion with OP -- that now seems what he needs.

On 07/08/2018 01:45 PM, StoltHD wrote:
There are utilities out there that merge multiple gedcom files...
here are one link that mention some of them:
https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/match-makers/
Jaran

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 16:28 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
On 07/08/2018 09:16 AM, brian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I manage distinct family groupings with their own trees within a single
> database. I do this preserve the confidentiality of the groups who do not
> know each other and my sanity! It works for me anyhow.
>
> Each of these groupings has its own GEDCOM, suitably sanitized of course.
>
> When updating my preffered Genetic Genealogy web site with the latest and
> greatest GEDCOM, however, a composite of all the GEDCOMs would be best.
>
> My question is; Can you simply append the distinct GEDCOMs together in
> some reliable way using linux utilities (sed, etc)

No, since GEDCOM files have separate sections for people, families, places,
citations, notes, etc.

> or does it take a completely new GEDCOM export construction to make a
> usable export.

Yes.