mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA

mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA

Peter Hewett-2

Hi

How can I set a filter to return persons with the same mtDNA? This is
all persons with direct female line of descent from the selected person.

Mitochondrial DNA is passed on from a person's mother. So the mtDNA line
stops at each male. I'm looking for a filter that will return
descendants of a person, each generation including the male and female
children of the daughters, but no children of the sons of the previous
generation.

A filter giving all the female descendants of a person isn't correct, as
this also returns daughters of male descendants.

How can I do this using the person filter?

(And there is the corresponding filter needed for direct male
descendants, for working with Y-DNA results. But hopefully the solution
for the mtDNA can be similarly applied.)

TIA

Peter

Re: mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA

Ron Johnson
On 01/28/2017 07:06 PM, Peter Hewett wrote:
[snip]
> (And there is the corresponding filter needed for direct male
> descendants, for working with Y-DNA results. But hopefully the solution
> for the mtDNA can be similarly applied.)

Is the info stored as an Attribute?

------------------------
From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>

> On 01/28/2017 07:06 PM, Peter Hewett wrote:
> [snip]
>> (And there is the corresponding filter needed for direct male
>> descendants, for working with Y-DNA results. But hopefully the solution
>> for the mtDNA can be similarly applied.)
>
> Is the info stored as an Attribute?

The request is for a filter that works off the person's gender and their
family relationships. I don't want the report limited to persons with
DNA data entered, or to any other special attribute.

I found this (link below) from 2008, but I haven't got it to work.
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Filter-Direct-Female-Descendants-td1811913.html
I created a separate file in the /Filters/Rules/Person directory, but it
doesn't show up in the available filters when I restart Gramps.

On 01/28/2017 08:17 PM, Peter Hewett wrote:

> ------------------------
> From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 01/28/2017 07:06 PM, Peter Hewett wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> (And there is the corresponding filter needed for direct male
>>> descendants, for working with Y-DNA results. But hopefully the solution
>>> for the mtDNA can be similarly applied.)
>> Is the info stored as an Attribute?
> The request is for a filter that works off the person's gender and their
> family relationships. I don't want the report limited to persons with
> DNA data entered, or to any other special attribute.
>
> I found this (link below) from 2008, but I haven't got it to work.
> http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Filter-Direct-Female-Descendants-td1811913.html
> I created a separate file in the /Filters/Rules/Person directory, but it
> doesn't show up in the available filters when I restart Gramps.

You said you wanted to "return persons with the same mtDNA", meaning that
the mtDNA info must be stored somewhere.

Re: mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA

Maybe, run one pass with the "female" lineage quick view,
this will point out your "top Mother".

Then move to this "top mother" and run the "female" lineage quick view,
this will list people sharing the same mtDNA.

Sure, a simple workaround as "males" are missing.
Also, not a filter...

You can also give a try to an experimental addon[1].
Still has a limitation around spouse (step relations)
and a problem for finding a clear and simple
numbering for "non-ascendants", but it already avoids
matrix and complicated mapping by re-using values
generated by gramps modules. So, rather an interface
and minor computation for generating a resume, close
to report.

Note, the iteration can be slow on 'Relation_tab' tool.
Just disable some columns, you will be able to quickly
improve calculation  (~ -0.04/person according to your CPU)

It will not display people sharing the same mtDNA as
we can only guess something like that, but it is based
on matrilineality kinship.

[1] https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/maintenance/gramps42/RelID

Hope this can help.
J.

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Dimanche 29 janvier 2017, 3h17

 ------------------------
 From:
 Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>

 Peter Hewett wrote:
 > [snip]
 >> (And there is the corresponding filter
 needed for direct male
 >> descendants,
 for working with Y-DNA results. But hopefully the
 solution
 >> for the mtDNA can be
 similarly applied.)

From: Jerome <[hidden email]>
> Maybe, run one pass with the "female" lineage quick view,
> this will point out your "top Mother".
> Then move to this "top mother" and run the "female" lineage quick view,
> this will list people sharing the same mtDNA.

Thank you. This mother lineage appears to be just what I am after. Is
there a way to access this in a person filter?
Next step is to find the husbands of the persons on this mother lineage.
And it would be great to be able to display the relationship between
these people on a relationship graph.
(I have an mtDNA match, but we can't figure out where our trees link up.)

> You can also give a try to an experimental addon[1].
<snip>
> [1] https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/maintenance/gramps42/RelID

This looks interesting. I haven't done any building of gramps and addons
before, so this could be rather a learning curve for me.

Thank you for your help with the mother lineage info.

Peter

Re: mtDNA filter - for persons with same mitochondrial DNA

Doug-11
On 30/01/17 07:18, Peter Hewett wrote:

> ------------------------
> From: Jerome <[hidden email]>
>> Maybe, run one pass with the "female" lineage quick view,
>> this will point out your "top Mother".
>> Then move to this "top mother" and run the "female" lineage quick view,
>> this will list people sharing the same mtDNA.
> Thank you. This mother lineage appears to be just what I am after. Is
> there a way to access this in a person filter?
> Next step is to find the husbands of the persons on this mother lineage.
> And it would be great to be able to display the relationship between
> these people on a relationship graph.
> (I have an mtDNA match, but we can't figure out where our trees link up.)

<snip>

I think matrilineal rules for ancestors and descendants
would be great additions to the filter rules. They were
suggested quite a number of years ago but are much more
relevant now with the genetic information that's becoming
available.

Would you like to make a feature request?

Doug

From: Doug <[hidden email]>

> On 30/01/17 07:18, Peter Hewett wrote:
>> ------------------------
>> From: Jerome <[hidden email]>
>>> Maybe, run one pass with the "female" lineage quick view,
>>> this will point out your "top Mother".
>>> Then move to this "top mother" and run the "female" lineage quick view,
>>> this will list people sharing the same mtDNA.
>> Thank you. This mother lineage appears to be just what I am after. Is
>> there a way to access this in a person filter?
>> Next step is to find the husbands of the persons on this mother lineage.
>> And it would be great to be able to display the relationship between
>> these people on a relationship graph.
>> (I have an mtDNA match, but we can't figure out where our trees link up.)
>>
> <snip>
>
> I think matrilineal rules for ancestors and descendants would be great
> additions to the filter rules. They were suggested quite a number of
> years ago but are much more relevant now with the genetic information
> that's becoming available.
>
> Would you like to make a feature request?

Submitted as #9924

Thank you