names of uploaded files in the wiki.

Tim Lyons
Administrator
This page:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_the_manual

Suggests that files should be given a name that relates to the {gramps
version number}.

However, when I try uploading a file named like that, I get:
The title "File:{xxxxx}-34.png" has been banned from creation. It
matches the following blacklist entry: .*3.*

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

Nick Wallingford-2
On 14/03/12 07:23, Tim Lyons wrote:
> This page:
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_the_manual
>
> Suggests that files should be given a name that relates to the {gramps
> version number}.
>
> However, when I try uploading a file named like that, I get:
> The title "File:{xxxxx}-34.png" has been banned from creation. It
> matches the following blacklist entry: .*3.*

Though I haven't checked to confirm, my first guess would be that this
is a conflict of purposes...

One developer is suggesting to translators that there would be value in
naming the images to make them easy to relate to their associated version.

Another developer has put in place some blacklisting of potential file
uploads, attempting to limit the massive amounts of spam our wiki attracts.

Nick
Tauranga, NZ

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

jerome
Maybe it is one of my rules set on wiki, which are doing this...

We often got spamming on wiki.
After a lot of spams, I tried one rule which seems to work, but which might also block new pages with a number!

PS: if someone knows some alternate regular expressions for this type of problem (blocking filename with numbers)?

Jérôme

> > Suggests that files should be given a name that relates
> to the {gramps
> > version number}.
> >
> > However, when I try uploading a file named like that, I
> get:
> > The title "File:{xxxxx}-34.png" has been banned from
> creation. It
> > matches the following blacklist entry: .*3.*
>
> Though I haven't checked to confirm, my first guess would be
> that this
> is a conflict of purposes...
>
> One developer is suggesting to translators that there would
> be value in
> naming the images to make them easy to relate to their
> associated version.
>
> Another developer has put in place some blacklisting of
> potential file
> uploads, attempting to limit the massive amounts of spam our
> wiki attracts.
>
> Nick
> Tauranga, NZ

> The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft
> developers
> is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5,
> CSS3, MVC3,
> Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you
> subscribe now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

Tim Lyons
Administrator
jerome wrote
Maybe it is one of my rules set on wiki, which are doing this...

We often got spamming on wiki.
After a lot of spams, I tried one rule which seems to work, but which might also block new pages with a number!
Yes, I thought it might be that.

I suggest that it might now be time to institute a pre-registaration system for people who want to eidt the wiki. I notice that quite a few technical/genealogy sites seem to do this.

As it is now, the 'recent chnages' page is useless, because it just has long lists of spam, and we are all terribly grateful for all the work you do to block and delete spam, but it seems too much work!

Then, (or sooner) could you remove that particular rule?

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

robhealey1
Greetings:

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

jerome wrote

> Maybe it is one of my rules set on wiki, which are doing this...
>
> We often got spamming on wiki.
> After a lot of spams, I tried one rule which seems to work, but which
> might also block new pages with a number!

Yes, I thought it might be that.

I suggest that it might now be time to institute a pre-registaration system for people who want to eidt the wiki. I notice that quite a few technical/genealogy sites seem to do this.

I believe that this would be a great way to track changes to the wiki, and it would prevent spamming as you would have to have a login/ password to do anything!

If a particular individual were to be found as producing spam, then that person could have their login/ password suspended...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

As it is now, the 'recent chnages' page is useless, because it just has long
lists of spam, and we are all terribly grateful for all the work you do to
block and delete spam, but it seems too much work!

Then, (or sooner) could you remove that particular rule?

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

Tim,

> Then, (or sooner) could you remove that particular rule?

I commented/disabled this rule when I saw your post:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/Romjerome

> I suggest that it might now be time to institute a
> pre-registaration system
> for people who want to edit the wiki.

In fact, there is already something like that on some protected pages.
New users cannot edit such a protected pages, this can be done after some time.

The problem was also the automated spamming.
It often creates an account, edit an username and a discussion page.
I assume for not being rejected there is a random username generator with numbers and letters. Avoiding numbers on pages was reducing spamming a lot!

Blacklists sometimes block page creation and often uploaded images.

Note, to look at some 'New pages'[1] and 'Recent changes' feed[2] can also monitor new spams.

[1] http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:NewPages
[2] http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=atom

Jérôme

> > Maybe it is one of my rules set on wiki, which are
> doing this...
> >
> > We often got spamming on wiki.
> > After a lot of spams, I tried one rule which seems to
> work, but which
> > might also block new pages with a number!
> >

> Yes, I thought it might be that.
>
> I suggest that it might now be time to institute a
> pre-registaration system
> for people who want to eidt the wiki. I notice that quite a
> few
> technical/genealogy sites seem to do this.
>
> As it is now, the 'recent chnages' page is useless, because
> it just has long
> lists of spam, and we are all terribly grateful for all the
> work you do to
> block and delete spam, but it seems too much work!
>
> Then, (or sooner) could you remove that particular rule?

> Nabble.com.

> The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft
> developers
> is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5,
> CSS3, MVC3,
> Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you
> subscribe now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: names of uploaded files in the wiki.

Nick Wallingford-2
I am currently looking at the range of account verification type
extensions for MediaWiki, which might slow down the initial signing up
process but result in less spam overall.

It is sad that Jerome has to go through so much to keep the wiki spam
free - if I can identify a good method of 'pre-screening' that might
reduce the account creations while not causing too much work, I'll give
it a try on the wiki.

It is that constant tension: we want to make it as easy as possible to
get contributions, but if you do, you open it up for the extra work
involved when it gets spammed.

Nick
Tauranga, NZ

On 14/03/12 19:58, jerome wrote:

> Tim,
>
>> Then, (or sooner) could you remove that particular rule?
>
> I commented/disabled this rule when I saw your post:
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/Romjerome
>
>> I suggest that it might now be time to institute a
>> pre-registaration system
>> for people who want to edit the wiki.
>
> In fact, there is already something like that on some protected pages.
> New users cannot edit such a protected pages, this can be done after some time.
>
> The problem was also the automated spamming.
> It often creates an account, edit an username and a discussion page.
> I assume for not being rejected there is a random username generator with numbers and letters. Avoiding numbers on pages was reducing spamming a lot!
>
> Blacklists sometimes block page creation and often uploaded images.
>
> Note, to look at some 'New pages'[1] and 'Recent changes' feed[2] can also monitor new spams.
>

> [1] http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:NewPages
> [2] http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=atom
>

> Jérôme

Nick Wallingford-2 wrote
I am currently looking at the range of account verification type
extensions for MediaWiki, which might slow down the initial signing up
process but result in less spam overall.

It is sad that Jerome has to go through so much to keep the wiki spam
free - if I can identify a good method of 'pre-screening' that might
reduce the account creations while not causing too much work, I'll give
it a try on the wiki.
Yes, the amount of work at present to delete spam is ridiculous.

What do you mean 'without causing too much work'? Too much work for whom? The amount of work involved in deleting the spam surely dwarfs any amount of work involved in authorising each user who want to update the wiki? (Perhaps you mean too much work in initially setting up an authorisation mechanism, if so I apologise, because I don't know how much work that would be).

Incidentally, I doubt that the spam we are getting is automated, I would think it more likely that it is generated by 'boiler-room' workers that are paid a pittance for each spam written. For that reason I don't think automated checks (like captcha) would be much help.

Nick Wallingford-2 wrote
It is that constant tension: we want to make it as easy as possible to
get contributions, but if you do, you open it up for the extra work
involved when it gets spammed.
Well, were we really getting that many spontaneous contributions?

I would think that even if a user had to wait a couple of days to be authorised, it would be better than the amount of spam we are getting at present.

As I said before, the current 'Recent Changes' pages have become useless as a way of seeing what has been changed.

ADMIN: Bug Tracker upgrade completed...

Nick Wallingford-2
I've applied that same set of patches so that attachments don't get lost
when a bug report is moved between projects.  I've tested it basically,
but please let me know if you experience any oddities with the bug tracker
that might relate to this upgrade.

Otherwise, I'll be proceeding to the MediaWiki upgrade - but I might wait
until tomorrow to do that.

Nick
Tauranga, NZ

Re : ADMIN: Bug Tracker upgrade completed...

Thank you Nick.

It seems that a 'chmod function' is missing when I try to move a bug report with attachements from 'trunk' to 'Feature request' category, on bug tracker.

APPLICATION ERROR #FILE_MOVE_FAILED

SYSTEM WARNING: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory

SYSTEM WARNING: rename(../files/trunk/childrenandspouses.jpg,../files/features/childrenandspouses.jpg) [function.rename]: No such file or directory

SYSTEM WARNING: copy(../files/trunk/childrenandspouses.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Jérôme

> when a bug report is moved between projects.  I've
> tested it basically,
> but please let me know if you experience any oddities with
> the bug tracker
> that might relate to this upgrade.
>
> Otherwise, I'll be proceeding to the MediaWiki upgrade - but
> I might wait
> until tomorrow to do that.
>
> Nick
> Tauranga, NZ

Re: Re : ADMIN: Bug Tracker upgrade completed...

Tim Lyons
Administrator
jerome wrote
APPLICATION ERROR #FILE_MOVE_FAILED

SYSTEM WARNING: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory

SYSTEM WARNING: rename(../files/trunk/childrenandspouses.jpg,../files/features/childrenandspouses.jpg) [function.rename]: No such file or directory

SYSTEM WARNING: copy(../files/trunk/childrenandspouses.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Nick,

I am still getting this problem when I try to move a bug (in this case 0002566 from trunk to gramps3.4.x). Any progress?

regards,
Tim.

Re: Re : ADMIN: Bug Tracker upgrade completed...

jerome
Not certain, but it looks like that some files into old bug reports could have specific rights.

I used an alternate solution: copy file, delete the attachement, move the bug report, then send the file once more. True, with multiple attachements, maybe you need to copy more than one file.

Jérôme