navigate from an event to the person

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

right now I'm looking through all events which have no source
attached and try to attach one (406 out of 9601 events). But I
need the relationship view to find out who the person which has
the event with no source attached for my own understanding.

Is there a better way than looking up the reference to the
event in question manually in the person view and then switch
to the relationship view? Maybe a "set to current person"
functionality on a person-reference.....? Looking the person
up manually by typing its name is a bit time consuming for
me having > 400 persons to check in mind...

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: navigate from an event to the person

GRAMPS - User mailing list
1) Double-click the References record to open the Person (if the Reference record is an Event or Citation, open that, then drill down References the same way until you get to  a Person).
2) Right-click in the Person's window near the name and choose to make them the Active person.
3) Switch to the Relationship view

That person will be centered in the View

On Friday, October 12, 2018, 2:37:13 PM CDT, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

right now I'm looking through all events which have no source
attached and try to attach one (406 out of 9601 events). But I
need the relationship view to find out who the person which has
the event with no source attached for my own understanding.

Is there a better way than looking up the reference to the
event in question manually in the person view and then switch
to the relationship view? Maybe a "set to current person"
functionality on a person-reference.....? Looking the person
up manually by typing its name is a bit time consuming for
me having > 400 persons to check in mind...

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: navigate from an event to the person

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

thanks - I can work with that. Tho' being able to right-click a
reference itself would be even faster. I have it directly shown
in the bottom pane when I focus the event...

Best regards.

Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1) Double-click the References record to open the Person (if the
> Reference record is an Event or Citation, open that, then drill down
> References the same way until you get to¬† a Person).2) Right-click
> in the Person's window near the name and choose to make them the
> Active person.3) Switch to the Relationship view
> That person will be centered in the View
>
>     On Friday, October 12, 2018, 2:37:13 PM CDT, Oliver Lehmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
> right now I'm looking through all events which have no source
> attached and try to attach one (406 out of 9601 events). But I
> need the relationship view to find out who the person which has
> the event with no source attached for my own understanding.
>
> Is there a better way than looking up the reference to the
> event in question manually in the person view and then switch
> to the relationship view? Maybe a "set to current person"
> functionality on a person-reference.....? Looking the person
> up manually by typing its name is a bit time consuming for
> me having > 400 persons to check in mind...
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: navigate from an event to the person

Doug-11

On 12/10/18 20:09, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

right now I'm looking through all events which have no source
attached and try to attach one (406 out of 9601 events). But I
need the relationship view to find out who the person which has
the event with no source attached for my own understanding.

Is there a better way than looking up the reference to the
event in question manually in the person view and then switch
to the relationship view? Maybe a "set to current person"
functionality on a person-reference.....? Looking the person
up manually by typing its name is a bit time consuming for
me having > 400 persons to check in mind...

Best regards,
Oliver

There's a fairly long-standing feature request for a new filter rule "set to current person".
This sounds like yet another case where it would be useful.

Doug

Re: navigate from an event to the person

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Yes, having filters for "Active Person", "Events of the Active person" and similar options in other Record times would be nice.

Until then, there is a workaround for "set to current person". It requires significant setup but it's a one-time effort.

Create a Tag and then "Custom filter" named "TaggedPeople" in People with a General Filter of "People with the <tag>" matching the created Tag.

Then create Custom Filters for the other record types with a "General Filter" like "Events of Persons matching the <person filter>" = "TaggedPeople".

Does thisget what you're requesting if you create and layer in a 2nd Custom filter with a "Citation/source" where "Events with <count> sources" where "number of instances" = 1 & "number must be" = "less than" and chose the "where all rules apply" option?

It lets you tag a person or (his immediate family... i.e. spouse, children, siblings, parents) and process them more quickly.

One caveat, these complex custom filters can be slow and Gramps re-applies the filter if switching views or changing the sort column/order.

So when I have a complex filter that gives a large set of records to process or takes a long time to filter, I want something faster.  After running the filter, I "select all" the results and apply a tag called "Filtered". Then I 'clear' the custom filter and use the simple filter on Tags=Filtered.

Don't bother clearing the Filtered tags one-by-one, just delete the Tag named "Filtered" which clears them ALL. The next time you run the Complex custom filter, re-create the "Filtered" tag and apply it to the new results.

wash, rinse, repeat.

-Brian

[...]

Peter Flynn
On 12/10/18 20:09, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
[...]
> Is there a better way than looking up the reference to the event in
> question manually in the person view and then switch to the
> relationship view? Maybe a "set to current person" functionality on a
> person-reference.....? Looking the person up manually by typing its
> name is a bit time consuming for me having > 400 persons to check in
> mind...

Scripting?

I have a similar problem with a lot of imported records with missing
data, and I was going to export the whole database to XML and write a
bit of XSLT to fix it up, then re-import it.

///Peter