need backup help

Elisa Rapaport
I used Gramps 3.3.1, and last updated my family tree in 2013. I just downloaded Gramps 5.1 on my Mac 10.13.6. The new version sees my old family tree, but warns that I need to back it up so that it does not become corrupted. However I can’t open my old version of Gramps at all to do so. I am a beginner-level user. Any suggestions?

Elisa

Re: need backup help

prculley
Gramps 5.1.x can 'upgrade' your tree to the current format, and it SHOULD do so without data loss.  But backups are always recommended in that the upgrade process doesn't get as fully tested as some of the other code, and you never know.

Gramps also makes a backup of your actual db files prior to making the upgrade, so it SHOULD be possible to get back to where you started from those.  However, it might be prudent to perform a copy of your ~/gramps directory (I think that is where it is on a MAC) to somewhere else just in case.

I would make the manual backup, and then just try the upgrade.  If that doesn't work (I think it will), we can see if we can assist you in the recovery.

Paul C.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM Elisa Rapaport <[hidden email]> wrote:
I used Gramps 3.3.1, and last updated my family tree in 2013. I just downloaded Gramps 5.1 on my Mac 10.13.6. The new version sees my old family tree, but warns that I need to back it up so that it does not become corrupted. However I can’t open my old version of Gramps at all to do so. I am a beginner-level user. Any suggestions?

Elisa

Re: need backup help

Welcome back Elisa

Quite the upgrade.  There have been many changes and additions to Gramps

The major warning upgrading to 5+ is that once upgraded, the database
cannot be read by an earlier version of Gramps.  I have not heard
about problems with an upgrade corrupting the database but, I am sure
you do not want to be the first.

The easiest way without actually making a Gramps backup is to make a
copy of the raw database files from within your operating system.

The default location for the database files is in your user directory.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory#POSIX_-_style_systems

/home/<~username>/.gramps/

In the grampsdb folder there will be a folder with a random name of
letters and numbers. This is the Gramps database. COPY the entire
folder to some place safe. Do not move it, your new Gramps program
wants to upgrade these files. Once you have a copy of the folder, you
can proceed with the upgrade.

You will be happy to know that starting with Gramps 5.0, the default
is that anytime you exit Gramps after making changes, the program will
automatically make a backup.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 2:14 PM Elisa Rapaport <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used Gramps 3.3.1, and last updated my family tree in 2013. I just downloaded Gramps 5.1 on my Mac 10.13.6. The new version sees my old family tree, but warns that I need to back it up so that it does not become corrupted. However I can’t open my old version of Gramps at all to do so. I am a beginner-level user. Any suggestions?
>
> Elisa

Re: need backup help

Elisa Rapaport
Dave and Paul:

Thanks for your replies! After much searching, I finally found and copied the gramps directory and data files. And anyway the new version seems to have opened the old family tree fine.

Elisa