new possible ideas for NarrativeWeb?

robhealey1
Good day ladies and gentlemen:

There are several ideas that I would like to discuss with you regarding the future of NarrativeWeb... I know that Doug is working on a live version of Gramps, and I do not know how it will affect NarrativeWeb yet.  I do know that a design change might be a good thing for NarrativeWeb....

1) I know that we have had some conversation about the idea of a a multiple index pages regarding NarrativeWeb and its giant index pages like IndividualListPage!  I am still working on this one too.  I agree about either putting it in the Third Party plugins, but I was wondering if it would be ok to make it an option in the advanced tab instead?

2) I have also created a feature request # 3173 to show and discuss a new design layout for NarrativeWeb.  There is a screenshot on the tracker too.  I would also like to make this an option in the advanced tab or create a new tab for the multiple indexed pages and this new layout!  I know that we do not necessarily need to keep adding new options, but I think that these two are important one to consider...

If or when you go to the tracker for this one, you will see a design that may look like frames to you... It is not frames whatsoever, it is all done by CSS!  It is incredible how much that language has grown over the years!

I also believe when getting ready for a new major release as I believe 3.2.0 will be, there should be some new look and feel of things.  I know that trunk will not be released as 3.2.0 until sometime next year, but I would like to have the multiple index pages and the new design layout ready for that release ...

I know that I can separate the css elements to allow both designs to work within the same css file.  I could also add the new design elements in a new CSS sheet that could be saved as an overriding sheet to override the existing elements in the one selected by the user if they also select the new design layout.

The behaviours CSS sheet that is used for all of the image rectangles or image referenced areas is an addendum sheet.  My new design layout would be an overriding CSS sheet.

I could also use some conditional statements to make NarrativeWeb change a few things so the new design layout could be accomplished also.  I can see all of this coming together inside my mind right now.

Thank you for letting me ramble on and on.  I appreciate you time in reading and thinking about this.

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: new possible ideas for NarrativeWeb?

Anton Huber
Hi,
i have used narrativeWeb since more than 2 years. But a few features
aren't included:

1.  more information about a source
for example: you have information from a book and you add to the source
additional information like date, page etc.
I think important is the information of page.

2. list by occupation
I think a good  way would be a special list of persons sorted by their
occupation. In Germany often there are names for a farm in a village
which is transported from one generation to another, also when family
name is changing.

3.  Showing  birthdate of siblings, children when you watch the sibling
or his parents

4. A function to control the date for publishing:
In Germany there are many problems with privacy. Only after 90 years of
the birth and 10 years after their death you can publish the information
in the internet. Could there be a way to have a function for
autmatically handle this one??

Best regards and thanks for the great genealogy program GRAMPS

Anton

2009/8/17 Rob Healey <[hidden email]>:

> Good day ladies and gentlemen:
>
> There are several ideas that I would like to discuss with you regarding the
> future of NarrativeWeb... I know that Doug is working on a live version of
> Gramps, and I do not know how it will affect NarrativeWeb yet.  I do know
> that a design change might be a good thing for NarrativeWeb....
>
> 1) I know that we have had some conversation about the idea of a a multiple
> index pages regarding NarrativeWeb and its giant index pages like
> IndividualListPage!  I am still working on this one too.  I agree about
> either putting it in the Third Party plugins, but I was wondering if it
> would be ok to make it an option in the advanced tab instead?
>
> 2) I have also created a feature request # 3173 to show and discuss a new
> design layout for NarrativeWeb.  There is a screenshot on the tracker too.
> I would also like to make this an option in the advanced tab or create a new
> tab for the multiple indexed pages and this new layout!  I know that we do
> not necessarily need to keep adding new options, but I think that these two
> are important one to consider...
>
> If or when you go to the tracker for this one, you will see a design that
> may look like frames to you... It is not frames whatsoever, it is all done
> by CSS!  It is incredible how much that language has grown over the years!
>
> I also believe when getting ready for a new major release as I believe 3.2.0
> will be, there should be some new look and feel of things.  I know that
> trunk will not be released as 3.2.0 until sometime next year, but I would
> like to have the multiple index pages and the new design layout ready for
> that release ...
>
> I know that I can separate the css elements to allow both designs to work
> within the same css file.  I could also add the new design elements in a new
> CSS sheet that could be saved as an overriding sheet to override the
> existing elements in the one selected by the user if they also select the
> new design layout.
>
> The behaviours CSS sheet that is used for all of the image rectangles or
> image referenced areas is an addendum sheet.  My new design layout would be
> an overriding CSS sheet.
>
> I could also use some conditional statements to make NarrativeWeb change a
> few things so the new design layout could be accomplished also.  I can see
> all of this coming together inside my mind right now.
>
> Thank you for letting me ramble on and on.  I appreciate you time in reading
> and thinking about this.

As I said before, keep the changes to the present plugin minimal,
taking care not to clutter up the report dialog with options. Do new
things as a new plugin first.

That said, is the new layout not just a new css file? Nice to see of
course, but that should not change the website code itself.
About splitting up the long index pages, that looks like a good
addition. The code in this plugin is becoming very large however. If
you add that to the plugin, then make sure it is coded with simplicity
of code in mind.

Re: new possible ideas for NarrativeWeb?

DS Blank
Rob,

No specific comments on your list, but It would be nice if there were a "howto" on the wiki for how to design your own CSS for the NarrWeb (and future grampsweb). I'm thinking of a page were we could point Aunt Martha so that she could change the color of invalid dates (is that possible?) but also gives a little bit of discussion the overall layout of the CSS, and pointers for more info.

Maybe a place to show these "themes" with screen shots? Perhaps put them here, rather than 3rd party plugins?

-Doug

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Rob Healey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/8/17 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
> Maybe a place to show these "themes" with screen shots?
I think we need links to screen shots put into the dialog for choosing
the style sheet. Maybe a thumbnail of each linked to the full image in
the manual.

Shall I file that idea?

Duncan

2009/8/17 Anton Huber <[hidden email]>:
> 4. A function to control the date for publishing:
> In Germany there are many problems with privacy. Only after 90 years of
> the birth and 10 years after their death you can publish the information
> in the internet. Could there be a way to have a function for
> autmatically handle this one??

I think this function need to be added to GRAMPS XML directly. We need
to be able to specify more than just private/ public for a record. We
need to be able to reflect the different copyright issues. For example
I have screen grabs of some places taken from Google Maps, but I have
no way to note that they should not be published in the NarWeb website
(I don't mind them being reproduced for a private CD) Maybe we just
need to add a field with a date...

* private
* private until
* public

Just some thoughts... I also have problems with some images being far
to big for the website... anyone working on that image crunching piece
of code?

Duncan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/8/17 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
> Maybe a place to show these "themes" with screen shots?
I think we need links to screen shots put into the dialog for choosing
the style sheet. Maybe a thumbnail of each linked to the full image in
the manual.

Shall I file that idea?

That sounds like a great idea, and helping to put it together would also help :)

To facilitate the possible use of these, I'd like to put them in a format that can be machine readable (like the plugins). So, I started a wiki page at:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Themes

Feel free to work with that. You could go through and document the ones that we have already. The thumbnail could be a link to a page with more screen shots, FYI.

That probably also needs a wrapper page, like the page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Plugins

to explain what the columns mean, and instructions on how to download and install (ie, don't put that info on the Themes page, but on a Download_Themes page instead.)

My hope is that these will be usable by NarrWeb, other web reports, and the yet-to-be-named gramps web project. So hopefully we can get some major use out of them, once they are made.

-Doug

Duncan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/8/17 Anton Huber <[hidden email]>:
> 4. A function to control the date for publishing:
> In Germany there are many problems with privacy. Only after 90 years of
> the birth and 10 years after their death you can publish the information
> in the internet. Could there be a way to have a function for
> autmatically handle this one??

I think this function need to be added to GRAMPS XML directly. We need
to be able to specify more than just private/ public for a record. We
need to be able to reflect the different copyright issues. For example
I have screen grabs of some places taken from Google Maps, but I have
no way to note that they should not be published in the NarWeb website
(I don't mind them being reproduced for a private CD) Maybe we just
need to add a field with a date...

* private
* private until
* public

Seeing as these websites are static, you can just change the private flag on an image at the time you generate the website. I think the current scheme would even work for a dynamic gramps site. That is, private things can be seen once you log in and cannot be seen to anonymous users.

Just some thoughts... I also have problems with some images being far
to big for the website... anyone working on that image crunching piece
of code?

I've written that before for another project. I think I'll need it for the gramps web thing, too, so I'll work with the NarWeb group to integrate.

-Doug

Duncan

2009/8/18 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

> Seeing as these websites are static, you can just change the private flag on
> an image at the time you generate the website.

I have over 800 media objects. So that's not realistic.

>> Just some thoughts... I also have problems with some images being far
>> to big for the website... anyone working on that image crunching piece
>> of code?
>
> I've written that before for another project. I think I'll need it for the
> gramps web thing, too, so I'll work with the NarWeb group to integrate.

That would be superb!

Duncan

Re: new possible ideas for NarrativeWeb?

Emrys Williams
As long as we can switch it off!

Picasa has no easy way to email full-size pictures, which is annoying. I
use the full-size pictures in the gramps narrativeweb as a way of giving
them to my relatives so they can print them as big as they want.

But I agree a resolution-reducing feature would be a nice addition.
Thanks! Emrys

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Emrys Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
As long as we can switch it off!

Picasa has no easy way to email full-size pictures, which is annoying. I
use the full-size pictures in the gramps narrativeweb as a way of giving
them to my relatives so they can print them as big as they want.

But I agree a resolution-reducing feature would be a nice addition.
Thanks! Emrys

I imagine that it would produce thumbnails that are used on the initial page, and if you click the image, you'd get the original in all of its gigapixel glory :) People may think that NarrWeb works that way now, but I think that the image is just made to look small.

-Doug

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/8/18 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

> Seeing as these websites are static, you can just change the private flag on
> an image at the time you generate the website.

I have over 800 media objects. So that's not realistic.

My point was that one probably only produces a static website every once in a while (perhaps once a year?) and that individual pictures would go from private to public very rarely. Also, since we are building a dynamic gramps on the web, that might be the right place for such a feature, and it could be built in for all private objects.

-Doug

2009/8/21 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
> My point was that one probably only produces a static website every once in
> a while (perhaps once a year?) and that individual pictures would go from
> private to public very rarely.

Good point, so I guess it's really only a pain in the neck once...

> Also, since we are building a dynamic gramps
> on the web, that might be the right place for such a feature, and it could
> be built in for all private objects.

I just have to chime in and re-state that I won't be running that
version as I don't own my server and they don't offer Python support.

Duncan

Re: new possible ideas for NarrativeWeb?

Benny Malengier
2009/8/21 Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/8/21 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

> I just have to chime in and re-state that I won't be running that
> version as I don't own my server and they don't offer Python support.

Well, this one for example does: http://www.webfaction.com/
So that is 5.5 dollar per month over the price for your internet connection.

As a consumer, you can speak with your wallet, it is the only thing
companies understand after all.

And as we are speaking about family members collaborating via the
internet, broadband is a must anyway, so you can also run your own
server at home, as in
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-lamp-server-setup.html.
Then you have full control.