new to Gramps

mike-749
Reason I choose Gramps is one of few that runs on linux OP machine
now my question

was wondering how to enter the following info
child born out of wedlock
mother marries
child last name changed to new surname
child marries and assumes old surname
wife dies and has one child
remarries and has 4 more children

hope this makes sense

Mike

Re: new to Gramps

Michael Lightfoot-2
On Monday 01 February 2010 10:40:54 mike wrote:
> Reason I choose Gramps is one of few that runs on linux OP machine
> now my question
>
> was wondering how to enter the following info
> child born out of wedlock

Create a family with mother, unknown (I assume) father and child.  Name is
"Birth Name"

> mother marries

Create a new family with mother and new husband

> child last name changed to new surname
Add entry to names tab.

> child marries and assumes old surname
> wife dies and has one child

Create a new family with original surname and wife, one child

> remarries and has 4 more children

Create new family for this one with wife and four children

You could also add the child to the second family above with father as step-
father.  I haven't tried this so you may have to experiment.

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Re: new to Gramps

Stephen George

Just a couple of extra comments.

>> mother marries
>>

> Create a new family with mother and new husband

Or if she married her child's father, then you would add a marriage
event to the existing family you set up for 1).

<snip>
>> child marries and assumes old surname
>> wife dies and has one child
>>

> Create a new family with original surname and wife, one child

The wife would also have a death event.

- Steve

Re: new to Gramps

Stephen George

Hi Mike.

> My question would be now
> is how would this show up in a person pedigee tree
> or relationship tree.
Tried several times to answer this question, .. It's not easy to put
into words so I suggest you enter whatever family structures your
concerns relate to, and have a look at the views that cause you concern.
It would be the best way to understand how GRAMPS works.

> Usually I look at pedigree tree to see what info I should be looking for
What are you looking for, ... something to do next or something else?

Have you had a look at the Gramplet "What's Next" (Select Gramplet view
right click on a background area of the view and "Add a Gramplet" ->
"What's Next Gramplet" )
It gives suggestions of information, relations, events missing from your
data.

- Steve

> Mike
>

> Stephen George wrote:
>>
>> Just a couple of extra comments.

>>> Create a new family with mother and new husband
>>>
>> Or if she married her child's father, then you would add a marriage
>> event to the existing family you set up for 1).
>>

>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Create a new family with original surname and wife, one child
>>>
>> The wife would also have a death event.
>>
>> - Steve

Re: new to Gramps

mike-749
Hi Steve
used what's nest gramplet; comes up with list with the following comment
"marriage event missing"
looked at the the family and individuals and can not seem to find what
is missing

Mike

Stephen George wrote:

> Hi Mike.
>
>> My question would be now
>> is how would this show up in a person pedigee tree
>> or relationship tree.
> Tried several times to answer this question, .. It's not easy to put
> into words so I suggest you enter whatever family structures your
> concerns relate to, and have a look at the views that cause you
> concern. It would be the best way to understand how GRAMPS works.
>
>> Usually I look at pedigree tree to see what info I should be looking for
> What are you looking for, ... something to do next or something else?
>
> Have you had a look at the Gramplet "What's Next" (Select Gramplet
> view right click on a background area of the view and "Add a Gramplet"
> ->  "What's Next Gramplet" )
> It gives suggestions of information, relations, events missing from
> your data.
>
> - Steve
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> Stephen George wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a couple of extra comments.

>>> Or if she married her child's father, then you would add a marriage
>>> event to the existing family you set up for 1).
>>>

>>> <snip>

>>> The wife would also have a death event.
>>>
>>> - Steve

Re: new to Gramps

Stephen George

Hi Mike,

mike wrote:
> Hi Steve
> used what's nest gramplet; comes up with list with the following comment
> "marriage event missing"
> looked at the the family and individuals and can not seem to find what
> is missing
>
> Mike
Double Click on the blue link in "What's Next Gramplet", it will take
you to the family that is missing the marriage event.

Go to the "Events" tab, do you see a marriage event in that list?

If no marriage event, then Click the "Add Event" icon (the big blue
plus). Fill out the known details of the marriage. Once complete "OK"
the appropriate dialogue boxes, and you will see that entry in the
"What's Next Gramplet" has been removed.

If there is already a marriage event for that family, then it's a bug
why the Gramplet is reporting it missing.

If the couple were never married, then obviously you cannot enter a
marriage event for the family. So change the relationship type to
unmarried, and the entry will get removed from the gramplet.

- Steve