new user wondering about name editor

ingridvg70
I'm playing around with gramps considering it as my new genealogy software. I've tried the wiki and this forum for more information about the name editor.

In the name editor I can choose the type of name, enter the given names, and then make a list of family names, with a primary check. I don't really understand how that is supposed to be used.

I want to use alternate names for several reasons:

- when the parents weren't married yet, the child may have the mother's name at birth, but the father's name after their marriage
- names taken after 1811 in the Netherlands when people had to register their chosen family name.
- spelling alternatives (both given and surnames)

What is the best way to enter these alternatives?
Thanks in advance,
Ingrid

Re: new user wondering about name editor

enno
Hi Ingrid,
> In the name editor I can choose the type of name, enter the given names, and
> then make a list of family names, with a primary check. I don't really
> understand how that is supposed to be used.
For The Netherlands, I see two purposes. One is for nobility like Six
van Hillegom. When you enter that as 2 parts, and mark Six as primary,
Gramps will sort the name as Six, and in tree view put it in the same
group as Six van Vromade, should you have that.

The other is for family names taken after 1811. When you put those after
the patronymic name, and make the family name primary, Gramps will again
sort and group by family name.
> I want to use alternate names for several reasons:
>
> - when the parents weren't married yet, the child may have the mother's name
> at birth, but the father's name after their marriage
> - names taken after 1811 in the Netherlands when people had to register
> their chosen family name.
> - spelling alternatives (both given and surnames)
>
> What is the best way to enter these alternatives?
Use the names tab at the bottom of the person editor. I prefer the
multi-part name for names taken after 1811, but the other situations are
probably better covered with alternate names.

regards,