newbie Q: entering marriages

Paul Franklin-5
I am somewhat confused about entering a marriage into gramps
(which is the only genealogy program I've ever used, and for
a few weeks only).

I couldn't seem to find any "newcomer's tutorial" so if one
exists feel free to point me to it.  The wiki pages seem too
general to me, not specific, perhaps a mark of my ignorance.

At first I tried entering a marriage as a person's "event"
but (as I recall) I realized that didn't do what I hoped, as
it didn't prompt me for a partner, etc., and then discovered
that a marriage is an "event" for a "family" instead.

So that's how I've been entering them, but I've noticed they
don't (also automatically then) appear as an "event" for the
two people also.

Is there some subtle distinction between a "marriage" for a
"family" and a person's "marriage" which I don't realize?

If not, if they are the same that is to say, should I be
annotating each person at the same time I do a "family"?

Is that what is meant by "sharing" things?  (I've never done
that and don't really know what "sharing" is, or is for.)

My apologies if these seem too "newbie" to you but I didn't
see anything in the FAQ or any how-to which seemed to cover
that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Re: newbie Q: entering marriages

Michael Lightfoot-2
On Wednesday 17 March 2010 09:09:45 Paul Franklin wrote:
> I am somewhat confused about entering a marriage into gramps
> (which is the only genealogy program I've ever used, and for
> a few weeks only).

There has been a recent on list discussion about this.  Have a look at the
list archives.

Gramps has always treated a marriage as a family event only, not an individual
event.  I understand the rationale is that it belongs to the family rather
than an individual as it involves more than just one person.

The recent discussion was around whether it should also be an event for each
individual involved and how this affects reports produced from the data.

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Re: newbie Q: entering marriages

Frederico Munoz

As Michael replied there have been changes and recent debates
concerning this. I will merely try to add some comments here and
there.

2010/3/16 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>:
> I couldn't seem to find any "newcomer's tutorial" so if one
> exists feel free to point me to it.  The wiki pages seem too
> general to me, not specific, perhaps a mark of my ignorance.

Most likely not. It is important to have input from people who are new
to genealogy software that use Gramps.

> At first I tried entering a marriage as a person's "event"
> but (as I recall) I realized that didn't do what I hoped, as
> it didn't prompt me for a partner, etc., and then discovered
> that a marriage is an "event" for a "family" instead.

That's correct. You add it to the Family.

> So that's how I've been entering them, but I've noticed they
> don't (also automatically then) appear as an "event" for the
> two people also.

Actually, they should, if you're using the latest release. It was the
case before that they wouldn't appear in the iperson view. Many people
(well, at least myself and some others) used a solution that consisted
on sharing that family event with each of the involved persons, one
with a Role "Groom", the other with a Role "Bride". This meant that it
would appear in the individual report. However, it is a bit of a
waste: just like a women that gives birth to a child doesn't need to
be associated to that event as "Mother" (it's implicit), the same
applies to marriages. Which is why Gramps 3.2 shows both the
individual events *and* the family events in the Person View.

I'm only adding this type of detail in order to give you a broader
view of the issue, so you see that you're not at all the only one who
found something strange with it.

> Is there some subtle distinction between a "marriage" for a
> "family" and a person's "marriage" which I don't realize?

See above, the person's marriage doesn't really exist as a separate
event. The problem was mainly with the display options: family events
were the person was involved weren't shown in the Person View, only in
the Family View.

> If not, if they are the same that is to say, should I be
> annotating each person at the same time I do a "family"?

If by annotating you mean sharing the event as I said above, yes, that
used to be a solution. Now it is not needed.

> Is that what is meant by "sharing" things?  (I've never done
> that and don't really know what "sharing" is, or is for.)

That solution (sharing the event by adding the men to it with role
"Groom") is indeed what sharing an event is about. Again, it is not
needed with Gramps 3.2 (see
http://blog.gramps-project.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/newpersoneventlist.png
for an example), but yes, that's the overall principle.

Sharing an event is exactly that: adding more people to an existing
event. As an example, you add a baptism event for a person. That
person has a godfather. You share the baptism event with the person
who was godfather, but instead of have a Role of Principal (which is
only something that applies to the individual that was baptised), he
has a Role of Godfather. This is just an example, others are Witnesses
in marriages, Clergy to indicate the priest that performed the event,
etc.

> My apologies if these seem too "newbie" to you but I didn't
> see anything in the FAQ or any how-to which seemed to cover
> that sort of thing.

It's perfectly understandable. Especially without prior exposition to
genealogy software it is natural that some concepts are not explained
well enough in the documentation. I would say however that giving the
manual a complete read, even if superficial, just to get an idea of
how stuff works would perhaps be of help. There is a certain lag
between the Manual and the Gramps version though (or so I think).

Any further question do not hesitate.

Regards,

Frederico