newbie Q: searching the mailing list

Paul Franklin-5
I would appreciate knowing the best way (only way?) to do a
search of the mailing-list archive.

The wiki page "Portal:Using GRAMPS" says (at the bottom):

    If you have any questions on GRAMPS that are not solved
    by searching this wiki, then the Mailing Lists are a
    good place to find help. Search the achives of the
    gramps-users mailing list first ...

but it doesn't give a pointer to any directions (as opposed
to the words "Mailing List" which are a hyperlink).

I can't seem to discover any mailing-list-specific "search"
capability at the sourceforge site it pointed me to, only
the ability to see the titles of every message (in order).

If that sourceforge site is indexed by Google it is not
apparent to me.  I read a typical message and pasted some
words into Google (quoted into a single string) but the
sourceforge site was not cited.

Only http://old.nabble.com/GRAMPS---User-f1187.html (for the
gramps-users list) showed up as a Google hit.

So I went there and at the top of the page it offered me the
ability to "search" "this forum" so I guess that works.

So my questions: is that the best way?  is that the only way?
If it is the only way does the wiki say so, somewhere?  If
not, should it?

Thanks.

Re: newbie Q: searching the mailing list

Martin Ewing
At the bottom of every message is the link to use: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users .  Go there (The Gramps-users info page, and near the top is the Gramps-users Archives link.  That will take you to the archives in SourceForge.  There is a "search" function there, but it's a little tricky to find.  Mouse over the "Mailing Lists" item under "Gramps", and you should see a drop-down menu.  The last item is "search".

There are other ways you could try to find things in the Gramps list, such as Gmane (http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.genealogy.gramps.user) or even Google.

Hope this helps.

Martin

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
Branford, Connecticut

Re: newbie Q: searching the mailing list

Paul Franklin-5
Thank you for the tip on searching sourceforge.  I had not
been aware of it but once I (momentarily) enabled Javascript
in my browser I was able to see that drop-down menu, with
the search pointer you mentioned.  I will investigate it.

I will likewise look into gmane as you suggested.