newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Graeme Merrall
Sorry if this has been asked before but the archive search isn't too good. Just getting started after using alternate software on a Mac,

For BMD certs for the UK from the General Records Office (GRO), what's the correct way of creating the right set up.

Right now, for repository I'm choosing the GRO as the repository, the creating a source for an individual certificate. However it looks as though the district, volume and page go in the individual citation so I end up entering the same info each time I reference the source e.g. birth place, parents occupation etc.

Is this bet way or should I be doing it differently?

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:56:50 +0800
Graeme Merrall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graeme,

>Is this bet way or should I be doing it differently?

For repo:  I use GRO (as you do)

For source:  I use Index of Births, Index of Marriages, Index of Deaths
as appropriate (and some 'specials' for overseas, esp. military, BMDs)

For Citation:  Reg Dist, Year, Qtr (later month), Vol, Page (later also
Register and Entry No's)

--
 Regards  _
You never listen to a word that I said

On 27/10/2019 06:56, Graeme Merrall wrote:
> so I end up entering the same info each time I reference the source
> e.g. birth place, parents occupation etc.

Gramps allows you to share citations.

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Might I suggest that you also include a Repository Note in the Notes tab for each Repository? (You might not have noticed that there is an extra 'Type' of Note in in the pop-up menu unique to each Category. ) It would be helpful to defines acronyms and your approach to how you will store data from that repository.  A year from now, you might not remember what you decided today.  Or you may decide later that you made some bad assumptions and it will be a reminder what needs mass correction.

And if you share the data with others, such a Note provides a key to understanding the data.  (Acronyms certainly keep the references more compact.  It's common to puzzled by acronyms of fraternal orders listed in obituaries which were mere passing fancies.  Descendants of the future or outside our country are unlikely to recognize the 'DAR' {Daughters of the American Revolution} or 'LoC' {Library of Congress} repositories so familiar to current American genealogists. And viewers outside the UK aren't likely to know about the GRO. It was new information to me.) There are already structured Internet and postal address fields for record that info.

But you might also add a Note with business hours or advice for surviving their bureaucratic idiosyncrasies.  (For instance, with a certain Pennsylvania State repository, we must leave belongings in coin-op lockers, use only pencils or their coin-op copiers, be aware that some resources are stored off-site, and the facility is COLD! So I want to remember to reserve specific resources ahead of time, wear warm clothes with pockets full of coins and bring mechanical pencils & a lab notebook.)

You can set Notes to 'Private' if you might not want the information to export or print.  (Respecting Privacy settings on export is the default selection but can be overridden.  Report respecting the 'Privacy' flag is more of a crapshoot.)

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 7:55:23 AM CDT, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:56:50 +0800
Graeme Merrall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Graeme,

>Is this bet way or should I be doing it differently?

For repo:  I use GRO (as you do)

For source:  I use Index of Births, Index of Marriages, Index of Deaths
as appropriate (and some 'specials' for overseas, esp. military, BMDs)

For Citation:  Reg Dist, Year, Qtr (later month), Vol, Page (later also
Register and Entry No's)

--
Regards  _
        / )          "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
You never listen to a word that I said
Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC)
Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hello Emyoulation---,

>helpful to defines acronyms and your approach to how you will store data

I don't use acronyms, and the only abbreviation I use is 'Vol' which, in
the English speaking world, is easily understood (in context) to mean
'Volume'.

>But you might also add a Note with business hours or advice for

Business hours can, and do, change.  Noting them is pointless.  Anyone
planning a visit would be better of checking with the place itself,
rather than relying on my 50 years out of date notes.  Same for
atmospheric conditions.  The air con may have been faulty on the
day I visited for example.  Furthermore, the building might not even be
the same one.

--
 Regards  _
There's no point in asking you'll get no reply

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Well, electronic notes are hardly etched in stone... or necessarily even distributed.  Still, inserting a date in the note provides enough context for the inevitability of changing hours and such.

Perhaps you've had different experiences. But when I contact big facilities, the person relegated to phone (eMail or chat) duty is usually VERY green. Most I've spoken to haven't ever stepped foot into the archive areas and don't have a clue what to suggest to a visitor. Many can't even quote the address. So reminders of personal experience are nice to have. (The low temp in that particular facility has been their policy to 'extend the life' of their microfilm.)

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 10:16:12 AM CDT, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC)
Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hello Emyoulation---,

>helpful to defines acronyms and your approach to how you will store data

I don't use acronyms, and the only abbreviation I use is 'Vol' which, in
the English speaking world, is easily understood (in context) to mean
'Volume'.

>But you might also add a Note with business hours or advice for

Business hours can, and do, change.  Noting them is pointless.  Anyone
planning a visit would be better of checking with the place itself,
rather than relying on my 50 years out of date notes.  Same for
atmospheric conditions.  The air con may have been faulty on the
day I visited for example.  Furthermore, the building might not even be
the same one.

--
Regards  _
        / )          "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"

There's no point in asking you'll get no reply
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Hi All

At the risk of being negative once again I do not consider the GRO for
England and Wales a repository, they store no original records they are
a source like Ancestry or FindMyPast.

All the original records for Births, Deaths and Civil Marriages (since
Sep 1837 to date) are still held at the local register offices or their
dedicated Archive facility so for Manchester that would be the Central
Library. These are covered by statutory legislation and that is why they
are not available on the commercial websites as downloads or even for
viewing.
Marriage Registers, copies are held at the local register offices but
the originals belong to the church in which the ceremony took place and
are subject to the rules/vagaries of the church authorities and they do
appear as downloads on commercial sites.

What the GRO does have is hand transcribed the quarterly returns of the
local register offices which are compiled into the annual index's that
are freely available and on commercial websites including the GRO's own.
The GRO can issue .pdf copies of the register office submission but
these will not be the same as the original certificate and certainly
will not bear the original signatures.

Bearing in mind the process that GRO's records were created using you
will understand the substantial number of errors and omissions

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/10/2019 11:12, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:56:50 +0800
> Graeme Merrall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Graeme,
>
>> Is this bet way or should I be doing it differently?
>
> For repo:  I use GRO (as you do)
>
> For source:  I use Index of Births, Index of Marriages, Index of Deaths
> as appropriate (and some 'specials' for overseas, esp. military, BMDs)
>
> For Citation:  Reg Dist, Year, Qtr (later month), Vol, Page (later also
> Register and Entry No's)

Re: newbie: repository/sources etc for English BMD records

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:34:18 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>At the risk of being negative once again I do not consider the GRO for
>England and Wales a repository,

I don't disagree with your reasoning, but as I get the bulk of my certs
from the GRO, I bend the 'rules' a bit.  Frankly, it boils down to the
fact that I can't be arsed to create sources for each Record Office
*unless* I've _actually_ got a cert from that office.

--
 Regards  _
Cocaine, heroin, I never use speed, I never put the needle in