(no subject)

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I wonder if I should have a new religion event for each person even if the religion is always the same, or one evangelic event, and all evangelic persons share this single event? The religion events never have dates or places in my tree, just a description stating the religion.

Regards, Oliver

Re: (no subject)

Dave Scheipers
Hi Oliver

When I find the need to include general religion info (no date or
location) I'll use the Attribute in the person editor. Confirmations,
first communions, etc with a date and location get an event with the
appropriate event type.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if I should have a new religion event for each person even if the religion is always the same, or one evangelic event, and all evangelic persons share this single event? The religion events never have dates or places in my tree, just a description stating the religion.
>
> Regards, Oliver

Re: (no subject)

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

ok, but the GEDCOM import imports them as events so i thought this us how
to handle religions...

Regards,
Oliver

> When I find the need to include general religion info (no date or
> location) I'll use the Attribute in the person editor. Confirmations,
> first communions, etc with a date and location get an event with the
> appropriate event type.
>
> Dave
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if I should have a new religion event for each person even
>> if the religion is always the same, or one evangelic event, and all
>> evangelic persons share this single event? The religion events
>> never have dates or places in my tree, just a description stating
>> the religion.
>>
>> Regards, Oliver

Re: (no subject)

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Ron,

in Gramps? I never denied that. Nearly to all my persons have a religion
event. I was just wondering in my initial question if all persons sharing
the same religion should share the same shared "event", or if each person
should have its own religion event as I have it right now (as it was
imported from GEDCOM).
I just don't see the benefit of having thousand of identical religion
events instead of having one event for each kind of religion and then
share this but maybe there is something I just don't see yet....

Best regards,
Oliver

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There *is* a Religion event.
>
> On 03/06/2018 08:31 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> ok, but the GEDCOM import imports them as events so i thought this us how
>> to handle religions...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Re: (no subject)

Nick Hall
On 06/03/18 15:04, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> I just don't see the benefit of having thousand of identical religion
> events instead of having one event for each kind of religion and then
> share this but maybe there is something I just don't see yet....

The Religion events will have different sources, probably the baptism
records.

As previously suggested, it may be better to use attributes rather than
events for this.

Re: (no subject)

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Nick,

can the GEDCOM export handle those Religion Attributes? Do they result
in the RELI GEDCOM-Tag?

Best regards,
Oliver

Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/03/18 15:04, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> I just don't see the benefit of having thousand of identical religion
>> events instead of having one event for each kind of religion and then
>> share this but maybe there is something I just don't see yet....
>
> The Religion events will have different sources, probably the
> baptism records.
>
> As previously suggested, it may be better to use attributes rather
> than events for this.
>
> Nick.

Re: (no subject)

Nick Hall
On 06/03/18 15:44, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> can the GEDCOM export handle those Religion Attributes? Do they result
> in the RELI GEDCOM-Tag?

No, they are exported using the FACT tag.

Re: (no subject)

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 16:04:23 +0100
Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Oliver,

>the same religion should share the same shared "event", or if each
>person

I believe that to be unwise;  Assigning a date becomes impossible.
If/when people change religion, that too becomes harder if _everyone_
shares the same religion event.  Certainly, in a family it /might/ be
possible to use shared Religion events, but it's by no means guaranteed.

--
 Regards  _
You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive

Re: (no subject)

The GEDCOM that Gramps imported was created by your old program. So
however you included religion information for each person was how they
were listed in the GEDCOM and then imported by Gramps.

Gramps allows for a more nuanced handling of data. The way I handle
the religion issue is if there is a date or location I can identify,
then I would use the appropriate Event type for the person. But if it
is just the information that the person was Methodist, then I would
use the Attribute method. I use the same criteria when entering
Occupation info.

HTH Dave

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> ok, but the GEDCOM import imports them as events so i thought this us how
> to handle religions...
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Re: (no subject)

I would go with the individual event over sharing the event. As has
already been noted, any specific information or citation added to a
shared event will be the same for ALL people with the shared event.
Only the Reference Information of a shared event can be customized for
an individual, dates, places, citations will be shared by everyone.

Remember, there is no correct way of saving the information. We each
find what works best for ourselves. In this instance, you'll need to
understand what can be shared with all and what can be specific to an
individual with any shared event.

Dave