observations on problem 9920

Rich Lakey
I took my full DB, all 6.0 GB and extracted it to viewable XML, 31.9 GB.  It appears that the extracted source records are sequenced by data entry sequence. So my last entered source record in the extracted file is the one that caused double wide line spacing is the last source record in the list of source records. There is nothing in the XML record to do with line spacing or any type of formatting. In the beginning of the file there are no  entries to do with formatting and not at the end that I can find.  This record looks no different than any other.
Yet when I import this export back to Gramps the error is still there until I delete the record or another.  It would seem that something has to be in this file that drive Gramps / GTK nuts.
Did I mention that running Check and Repair Database against this gives the message 9 families found without parents or children? I have had other messages before about source records. I have not run Check and repair against my DB on my other computer yet.  But if I am getting corruption could it happen to two machines?
I have searched for GTK problems with LM 18.1 with no luck. I am ready for hot chocolate and a breather.
Is there a program than could scan my XML for syntax errors?
Rich

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: observations on problem 9920

Hello Rich,
> I took my full DB, all 6.0 GB and extracted it to viewable XML, 31.9 GB.
Are you sure about that G, I mean GigaBytes? My .gramps backup is 8.8
MB, and that's with more than 30,000 persons, 15,000 families, 77,000
events, 12,000 locations, 10,000 sources, 10,000 citations, and about
15,000 notes.

If you meant MegaBytes, you should be able to attach it, and if it's
over 8 MB, you can still put it on Dropbox, and then post or email a
link to the file on the Dropbox site. I'll import it into a developers
version of Gramps 4.2.5 then, in the weekend maybe, and get back to you.

> Did I mention that running Check and Repair Database against this
> gives the message 9 families found without parents or children? I have
> had other messages before about source records. I have not run Check
> and repair against my DB on my other computer yet.  But if I am
> getting corruption could it happen to two machines?
If it's caused by a yet unknown bug, it sure can. Are you transferring
DBs (grampsdb contents) between computers, or do you always transfer
using compressed XML backups?

> I have searched for GTK problems with LM 18.1 with no luck. I am ready
> for hot chocolate and a breather.
I have a problem with GTK 2, which is why I still use LM 17.3. And
that's because I still use Gramps 3.4.9 with the flat place model.
Gramsp 4.x is based on GTK 3, what I think is a mess, but others disagree.

regards,

Re: observations on problem 9920

Rich Lakey
Where is my head. Yes, it is 6 mb. I will get it upload later today.
I used the same apparent good export to install to each machine.
 .I have installed the Mate desktop on my laptop to see if cinnamon is causing the problem. Need to test. I have 17.3 downloaded as another possible step.  I would like the developers to see if they can experience the joys of this problem before I reinstall LM.
I had no problems on 17.3 with GTK 3.10. 18.1 has GTK 3.18
Rich

On 02/02/2017 02:17 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
Hello Rich,
[...]

enno
Hello Rich,

> Where is my head. Yes, it is 6 mb. I will get it upload later today.
Thank you.

> I had no problems on 17.3 with GTK 3.10. 18.1 has GTK 3.18
The problems that I have are with GTK 2 on 18.1, but those are not
related to your find, I think.

The error shows here too, so I'm glad that you uploaded your tree. I set
the bug report to private, so that only trusted developers can download
your tree for testing.

regards,