opening an existent databank

KPBecker
Dear Gramps-users,

I have installed Gramps 5.1.2 on a new laptop and want to open an existent data base file (sqlite.db, on this computer).
I cannot find a way to do this, can you help me?
Thanks
K.-P. Becker

Re: opening an existent databank

GRAMPS - User mailing list
We need more information. Instructions will differ slightly based on OSes involved and preference settings.

What is the OS on the target new laptop?

From the original computer:
1) What is the OS & Gramps version?
2) What is the Family Tree Database path & backup path in the Family Tree tab of Preferences
3) What is the 'Base path for relative media paths' in the General tab of Preferences

Please do not try to keep the database on a network computer and access from different machines. That's a formula for corrupting a single-user database.

-Brian

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:40, Klaus-Peter Becker
Dear Gramps-users,

I have installed Gramps 5.1.2 on a new laptop and want to open an existent data base file (sqlite.db, on this computer).
I cannot find a way to do this, can you help me?
Thanks
K.-P. Becker

Re: opening an existent databank

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Ist message blocked due to large embedded image in quoted message. Removed & re-posting to maillist.
-----------------------------------

That's odd about the Media path. Are you typing it directly or browsing to the folder using the Directory (Verzeichnis) button?

If the path cannot be validated, it will be discarded before saving. It sounds like a validation failure is what is occurring. The trailing separator (or lack) must conform to what Gramps expects. (I do not use Gramps Media features and would have to experiment.)

Basisverzeichnis für relative Medienpfade: Hier kannst du das Basisverzeichnis für die Medienobjekte eintragen. Das Anklicken des Verzeichnis Buttons aktiviert den Wähle ein Medienverzeichnis Editor, wo Du den erforderlichen Pfad auswählen kannst.

Once you changed your Database path to match the earlier installation, do your Trees now appear in the Manage Trees dialog?

Finally, one of the steps strongly recommended in updating is: backup your Tree(s). It is a great idea to import a backup into an empty Tree periodically. This re-builds indices and compact the database. An upgrade is a good reminder to do

(Make sure to reset the ID formats BEFORE importing! My Tree has more People & Events than fit in the default format. I added  more leading zeroes before importing. Now the records sort correctly again.)

-Brian

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:15, Klaus-Peter Becker
Thanks for the fast response!

1) The OS is Windows 10 pro. The Gramps version is 5.1.2
2) Database path:  C:\D\Daten-01\Gramps\DB\5bf91afa
    Backup path:     C:\D\Daten-01\Gramps\Sicher
3) This is strange: If I enter the path for media (C:\D\Daten-01\Gramps\Medien) it cannot be saved, the field is empty when the window is opened again. Up to now no media are saved by Gramps.

All these pathes are local.

Klaus-Peter

Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> hat am 17. Juni 2020 um 17:50 geschrieben:

We need more information. Instructions will differ slightly based on OSes involved and preference settings.

What is the OS on the target new laptop?

From the original computer: