opening new database

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

opening new database

Albert Wagner
Hi, All.
I just installed GRAMPS 2.0.11-2 using Synaptic Package Manager in
Ubuntu 6.0.6 (Python 2.4.3).  Creating my first database went OK.
However, when I went back to reopen that closed database I encountered
the following:
-------------------------------------------------
In a terminal, I asked for help
-------------------------------------------------
# ~
# gramps --help
Usage: gramps.py [OPTION...]
   --load-modules=MODULE1,MODULE2,...     Dynamic modules to load

Help options
   -?, --help                             Show this help message
   --usage                                Display brief usage message

Application options
   -O, --open=FILENAME                    Open file
   -i, --import=FILENAME                  Import file
   -o, --output=FILENAME                  Write file
   -f, --format=FORMAT                    Specify format
   -a, --action=ACTION                    Specify action
   -p, --options=OPTIONS_STRING           Specify options

Bonobo activation Support
   --oaf-ior-fd=FD                        File descriptor to print IOR on
   --oaf-activate-iid=IID                 IID to activate
   --oaf-private                          Prevent registering of server
with OAF

GNOME GConf Support

GNOME Library
   --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
   --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
   --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
server
                                          to use is running
   --version                              2.14.1

GTK+
   --gdk-debug=FLAGS                      Gdk debugging flags to set
   --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gdk debugging flags to unset
   --display=DISPLAY                      X display to use
   --screen=SCREEN                        X screen to use
   --sync                                 Make X calls synchronous
   --name=NAME                            Program name as used by the window
                                          manager
   --class=CLASS                          Program class as used by the
window
                                          manager
   --gtk-debug=FLAGS                      Gtk+ debugging flags to set
   --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gtk+ debugging flags to unset
   --g-fatal-warnings                     Make all warnings fatal
   --gtk-module=MODULE                    Load an additional Gtk module

Session management
   --sm-client-id=ID                      Specify session management ID
   --sm-config-prefix=PREFIX              Specify prefix of saved
configuration
   --sm-disable                           Disable connection to session
manager

GNOME GUI Library
   --disable-crash-dialog                 Disable Crash Dialog

GNOME Library
   --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
   --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
   --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
server
                                          to use is running
   --version                              2.14.1
# ~

--------------------------------------------------
When I attempted to follow that help...
--------------------------------------------------
# gramps.py -O myfamily.grdb
bash: gramps.py: command not found
# ~
--------------------------------------------------
So I guessed...
--------------------------------------------------
# gramps myfamily.grdb
--------------------------------------------------
...and received the following error message and file type error dialog
--------------------------------------------------
Trying to open: myfamily.grdb ...
Unknown file type: application/x-extension-grdb
============= file type error dialog ==============
Could not open file: /home/butch/myfamily.grdb
File type "application/x-extension-grdb" is unknown to GRAMPS.
Valid types are: GRAMPS database, GRAMPS XML, GRAMPS
package, and GEDCOM.
===================================================
Exiting...
---------------------------------------------------
Of course, what are listed as file types are not valid file types at all
in Gnome
---------------------------------------------------
# ~
#
---------------------------------------------------
I then attempted to invoke GRAMPS from the menu:
---------------------------------------------------
Applications->Office->GRAMPS Genealogy System

Which yielded the "Open a Database" dialog"

Open recent file:  myfamily.grdb
     dialog flashes; nothing else happens.

Open an existing database:
     open database dialog; selecting and opening myfamily.grdb with
"automatically detected" selected in file type list yields same error
dialog as when in terminal.

Only way to open is from menu, open database dialog, selecting and
opening myfamily.grdb AND with "GRAMPS(grdb)" selected in file type list.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I assume that these discrepancies between documentation, interface and
actual behaviour are being addressed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: opening new database

Alex Roitman
Albert,

All these problems stem from the fact that installation of gramps
did not properly register mime types for gramps file types.
GRAMPS' files should be of type application/x-gramps, not
application/x-extension-grdb. This seems to be either a
packaging problem or shared-mime-type system problem
with Ubuntu.

I think you should file a bug report with Ubuntu. We provide
specific post-installation steps that take care of the mime
type registration. It used worked on Ubuntu just fine.
In fact, it worked fine in dapper (6.0.6).

The 2.0.11-2 version of gramps is actually from edgy,
not dapper (dapper shipped with 2.0.11-1 AFAIK).
If they broke the mime types system in edgy then they
should know how to fix it.

If you do complain to Ubuntu, please ask them to contact
us if they want to discuss the dirty details. I really
encourage you to complain to Ubuntu, because you have a
way of reproducing this. We heard of this problem a couple
of time before, but people end up not responding so this
never gets fixed. Please let me know if you need assistance
with reporting this to Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S. As you noticed, all this is about automatically recognizing
the file type. If you always specify the format (either in menu
or on the command line: gramps -O myfamily.grdb -f grdb)
then all should be OK.  

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:51 -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:

> I just installed GRAMPS 2.0.11-2 using Synaptic Package Manager in
> Ubuntu 6.0.6 (Python 2.4.3). Creating my first database went OK.
> However, when I went back to reopen that closed database I encountered
> the following:
> -------------------------------------------------
> In a terminal, I asked for help
> -------------------------------------------------
> # ~
> # gramps --help
> Usage: gramps.py [OPTION...]
>    --load-modules=MODULE1,MODULE2,...     Dynamic modules to load
>
> Help options
>    -?, --help                             Show this help message
>    --usage                                Display brief usage message
>
> Application options
>    -O, --open=FILENAME                    Open file
>    -i, --import=FILENAME                  Import file
>    -o, --output=FILENAME                  Write file
>    -f, --format=FORMAT                    Specify format
>    -a, --action=ACTION                    Specify action
>    -p, --options=OPTIONS_STRING           Specify options
>
> Bonobo activation Support
>    --oaf-ior-fd=FD                        File descriptor to print IOR on
>    --oaf-activate-iid=IID                 IID to activate
>    --oaf-private                          Prevent registering of server
> with OAF
>
> GNOME GConf Support
>
> GNOME Library
>    --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
>    --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
>    --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
> server
>                                           to use is running
>    --version                              2.14.1
>
> GTK+
>    --gdk-debug=FLAGS                      Gdk debugging flags to set
>    --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gdk debugging flags to unset
>    --display=DISPLAY                      X display to use
>    --screen=SCREEN                        X screen to use
>    --sync                                 Make X calls synchronous
>    --name=NAME                            Program name as used by the window
>                                           manager
>    --class=CLASS                          Program class as used by the
> window
>                                           manager
>    --gtk-debug=FLAGS                      Gtk+ debugging flags to set
>    --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gtk+ debugging flags to unset
>    --g-fatal-warnings                     Make all warnings fatal
>    --gtk-module=MODULE                    Load an additional Gtk module
>
> Session management
>    --sm-client-id=ID                      Specify session management ID
>    --sm-config-prefix=PREFIX              Specify prefix of saved
> configuration
>    --sm-disable                           Disable connection to session
> manager
>
> GNOME GUI Library
>    --disable-crash-dialog                 Disable Crash Dialog
>
> GNOME Library
>    --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
>    --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
>    --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
> server
>                                           to use is running
>    --version                              2.14.1
> # ~
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> When I attempted to follow that help...
> --------------------------------------------------
> # gramps.py -O myfamily.grdb
> bash: gramps.py: command not found
> # ~
> --------------------------------------------------
> So I guessed...
> --------------------------------------------------
> # gramps myfamily.grdb
> --------------------------------------------------
> ...and received the following error message and file type error dialog
> --------------------------------------------------
> Trying to open: myfamily.grdb ...
> Unknown file type: application/x-extension-grdb
> ============= file type error dialog ==============
> Could not open file: /home/butch/myfamily.grdb
> File type "application/x-extension-grdb" is unknown to GRAMPS.
> Valid types are: GRAMPS database, GRAMPS XML, GRAMPS
> package, and GEDCOM.
> ===================================================
> Exiting...
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Of course, what are listed as file types are not valid file types at all
> in Gnome
> ---------------------------------------------------
> # ~
> #
> ---------------------------------------------------
> I then attempted to invoke GRAMPS from the menu:
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Applications->Office->GRAMPS Genealogy System
>
> Which yielded the "Open a Database" dialog"
>
> Open recent file:  myfamily.grdb
>      dialog flashes; nothing else happens.
>
> Open an existing database:
>      open database dialog; selecting and opening myfamily.grdb with
> "automatically detected" selected in file type list yields same error
> dialog as when in terminal.
>
> Only way to open is from menu, open database dialog, selecting and
> opening myfamily.grdb AND with "GRAMPS(grdb)" selected in file type list.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I assume that these discrepancies between documentation, interface and
> actual behaviour are being addressed.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: opening new database

Adam Stein
In reply to this post by Albert Wagner
You can gramps correctly for getting help.  Your first innvocation for
loading "myfamily.grdb" failed because you tried to run "gramps.py", not
"gramps".

As for the MIME errors (those with the Unknown file type:
application/x-extension-grdb message), I'm guessing you didn't install
gramps in /usr.  I install gramps in a non-standard place so that the
MIME files gramps comes with aren't integrated with the rest of the
normal GNOME MIME files.  I don't know if you can tell GNOME multiple
places to look for MIME files (maybe a GNOME expert can comment on
this).  What I did to integrate the Gramps MIME types is the following:

  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.keys /usr/share/mime-info
  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.mime /usr/share/mime-info
  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/packages/gramps.xml /usr/share/mime/packages
  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-package.xml \
     /usr/share/mime/application
  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps.xml \
     /usr/share/mime/application
  cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-xml.xml \
     /usr/share/mime/application
  update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

Where TOPDIR is the top level directory where gramps was installed.
Notice the backslashes (\) on some lines.  This is because Evolution was
wrapping lines on me (they were too long).  You obviously can use the
blackslash like I have or just put the 2 lines together on a single
line.

Don't know if I had to copy over ALL those files, but it works for me on
Red Hat Fedora Core 4 and 5 systems.


On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:51 -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:

> Hi, All.
> I just installed GRAMPS 2.0.11-2 using Synaptic Package Manager in
> Ubuntu 6.0.6 (Python 2.4.3).  Creating my first database went OK.
> However, when I went back to reopen that closed database I encountered
> the following:
> -------------------------------------------------
> In a terminal, I asked for help
> -------------------------------------------------
> # ~
> # gramps --help
> Usage: gramps.py [OPTION...]
>    --load-modules=MODULE1,MODULE2,...     Dynamic modules to load
>
> Help options
>    -?, --help                             Show this help message
>    --usage                                Display brief usage message
>
> Application options
>    -O, --open=FILENAME                    Open file
>    -i, --import=FILENAME                  Import file
>    -o, --output=FILENAME                  Write file
>    -f, --format=FORMAT                    Specify format
>    -a, --action=ACTION                    Specify action
>    -p, --options=OPTIONS_STRING           Specify options
>
> Bonobo activation Support
>    --oaf-ior-fd=FD                        File descriptor to print IOR on
>    --oaf-activate-iid=IID                 IID to activate
>    --oaf-private                          Prevent registering of server
> with OAF
>
> GNOME GConf Support
>
> GNOME Library
>    --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
>    --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
>    --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
> server
>                                           to use is running
>    --version                              2.14.1
>
> GTK+
>    --gdk-debug=FLAGS                      Gdk debugging flags to set
>    --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gdk debugging flags to unset
>    --display=DISPLAY                      X display to use
>    --screen=SCREEN                        X screen to use
>    --sync                                 Make X calls synchronous
>    --name=NAME                            Program name as used by the window
>                                           manager
>    --class=CLASS                          Program class as used by the
> window
>                                           manager
>    --gtk-debug=FLAGS                      Gtk+ debugging flags to set
>    --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS                   Gtk+ debugging flags to unset
>    --g-fatal-warnings                     Make all warnings fatal
>    --gtk-module=MODULE                    Load an additional Gtk module
>
> Session management
>    --sm-client-id=ID                      Specify session management ID
>    --sm-config-prefix=PREFIX              Specify prefix of saved
> configuration
>    --sm-disable                           Disable connection to session
> manager
>
> GNOME GUI Library
>    --disable-crash-dialog                 Disable Crash Dialog
>
> GNOME Library
>    --disable-sound                        Disable sound server usage
>    --enable-sound                         Enable sound server usage
>    --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT               Host:port on which the sound
> server
>                                           to use is running
>    --version                              2.14.1
> # ~
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> When I attempted to follow that help...
> --------------------------------------------------
> # gramps.py -O myfamily.grdb
> bash: gramps.py: command not found
> # ~
> --------------------------------------------------
> So I guessed...
> --------------------------------------------------
> # gramps myfamily.grdb
> --------------------------------------------------
> ...and received the following error message and file type error dialog
> --------------------------------------------------
> Trying to open: myfamily.grdb ...
> Unknown file type: application/x-extension-grdb
> ============= file type error dialog ==============
> Could not open file: /home/butch/myfamily.grdb
> File type "application/x-extension-grdb" is unknown to GRAMPS.
> Valid types are: GRAMPS database, GRAMPS XML, GRAMPS
> package, and GEDCOM.
> ===================================================
> Exiting...
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Of course, what are listed as file types are not valid file types at all
> in Gnome
> ---------------------------------------------------
> # ~
> #
> ---------------------------------------------------
> I then attempted to invoke GRAMPS from the menu:
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Applications->Office->GRAMPS Genealogy System
>
> Which yielded the "Open a Database" dialog"
>
> Open recent file:  myfamily.grdb
>      dialog flashes; nothing else happens.
>
> Open an existing database:
>      open database dialog; selecting and opening myfamily.grdb with
> "automatically detected" selected in file type list yields same error
> dialog as when in terminal.
>
> Only way to open is from menu, open database dialog, selecting and
> opening myfamily.grdb AND with "GRAMPS(grdb)" selected in file type list.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I assume that these discrepancies between documentation, interface and
> actual behaviour are being addressed.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]
                                           
Disclaimer: All views expressed            
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: opening new database

Alex Roitman
Adam,

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 13:44 -0400, Adam Stein wrote:
> As for the MIME errors (those with the Unknown file type:
> application/x-extension-grdb message), I'm guessing you didn't install
> gramps in /usr.  I install gramps in a non-standard place so that the
> MIME files gramps comes with aren't integrated with the rest of the
> normal GNOME MIME files.  I don't know if you can tell GNOME multiple
> places to look for MIME files (maybe a GNOME expert can comment on
> this).

Not a GNOME expert, but here's a few things on mime types.
The shared mime type system is not a gnome thing.
It's developed on freedesktop.org, so both GNOME and KDE,
as well as any other party interested in a sane and documented
way to maintain a shared mime type system, can use it:
   http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec

Now, the INSTALL file in gramps source tree has an informative
section on how to install in non-default places and still have
working mime types (and hence working gramps). In short, in
the non-default install you need to use a per-user store
for mime types. Typically it is in ~/.local/share/mime
instead of /usr/share/mime dir. This allows installing without
the root privileges, under other dirs, etc.

>   What I did to integrate the Gramps MIME types is the following:
>
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.keys /usr/share/mime-info
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.mime /usr/share/mime-info
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/packages/gramps.xml /usr/share/mime/packages
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-package.xml \
>      /usr/share/mime/application
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps.xml \
>      /usr/share/mime/application
>   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-xml.xml \
>      /usr/share/mime/application
>   update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
That will work too. Of course, uninstalling your TOPDIR gramps
will not automatically uninstall the mime types in such setup,
so you'd have to uninstall them by hand when you decide so.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: opening new database

Adam Stein
Thanks for the info.  On my next install of Gramps, I'll have to look at
this in more detail.

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 11:00 -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:

> Adam,
>
> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 13:44 -0400, Adam Stein wrote:
> > As for the MIME errors (those with the Unknown file type:
> > application/x-extension-grdb message), I'm guessing you didn't install
> > gramps in /usr.  I install gramps in a non-standard place so that the
> > MIME files gramps comes with aren't integrated with the rest of the
> > normal GNOME MIME files.  I don't know if you can tell GNOME multiple
> > places to look for MIME files (maybe a GNOME expert can comment on
> > this).
>
> Not a GNOME expert, but here's a few things on mime types.
> The shared mime type system is not a gnome thing.
> It's developed on freedesktop.org, so both GNOME and KDE,
> as well as any other party interested in a sane and documented
> way to maintain a shared mime type system, can use it:
>    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec
>
> Now, the INSTALL file in gramps source tree has an informative
> section on how to install in non-default places and still have
> working mime types (and hence working gramps). In short, in
> the non-default install you need to use a per-user store
> for mime types. Typically it is in ~/.local/share/mime
> instead of /usr/share/mime dir. This allows installing without
> the root privileges, under other dirs, etc.
>
> >   What I did to integrate the Gramps MIME types is the following:
> >
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.keys /usr/share/mime-info
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime-info/gramps.mime /usr/share/mime-info
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/packages/gramps.xml /usr/share/mime/packages
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-package.xml \
> >      /usr/share/mime/application
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps.xml \
> >      /usr/share/mime/application
> >   cp $TOPDIR/share/mime/application/x-gramps-xml.xml \
> >      /usr/share/mime/application
> >   update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
>
> That will work too. Of course, uninstalling your TOPDIR gramps
> will not automatically uninstall the mime types in such setup,
> so you'd have to uninstall them by hand when you decide so.
>
> Alex
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> _______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]
                                           
Disclaimer: All views expressed            
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users