out of order siblings

Alan Jones-10
I'm using v3.0.3-1 and somehow the order of some families is wrong. Like
in my own family, my youngest sister is at the top of the list when she
should be at the bottom. In other words, if I choose the 'Relationships'
page then she is at the top. I haven't been able to figure out how to
re-order the names, since I am new to this program. Been using a windows
program in wine for awhile now.

Al/2

Re: out of order siblings

Martin Steer-2
alan jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm using v3.0.3-1 and somehow the order of some families is wrong. Like
> in my own family, my youngest sister is at the top of the list when she
> should be at the bottom. In other words, if I choose the 'Relationships'
> page then she is at the top. I haven't been able to figure out how to
> re-order the names, since I am new to this program. Been using a windows
> program in wine for awhile now.

If you open a view to the family (via a pencil and paper icon in the
relationship view, or from somewhere else) and then select 'Children',
you can use the green arrows at the bottom right of the window to change
the order. The arrows move a particular child up or down, so you need to
also select the child you want to move.

--
Martin

Re: out of order siblings

Martin Ewing
But my arrows are blue!  (It depends on your desktop theme, I think.)

-Martin

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Martin Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
alan jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm using v3.0.3-1 and somehow the order of some families is wrong. Like
> in my own family, my youngest sister is at the top of the list when she
> should be at the bottom. In other words, if I choose the 'Relationships'
> page then she is at the top. I haven't been able to figure out how to
> re-order the names, since I am new to this program. Been using a windows
> program in wine for awhile now.

If you open a view to the family (via a pencil and paper icon in the
relationship view, or from somewhere else) and then select 'Children',
you can use the green arrows at the bottom right of the window to change
the order. The arrows move a particular child up or down, so you need to
also select the child you want to move.

--
Martin

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: out of order siblings

Espen Berg-2
2008/8/28 Martin Ewing <[hidden email]>:
> But my arrows are blue!  (It depends on your desktop theme, I think.)
>
> -Martin

...and my arrows are orange - so desktop theme appears to be the
answer of the colours

Espen

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Martin Steer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> alan jones <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > I'm using v3.0.3-1 and somehow the order of some families is wrong. Like
>> > in my own family, my youngest sister is at the top of the list when she
>> > should be at the bottom. In other words, if I choose the 'Relationships'
>> > page then she is at the top. I haven't been able to figure out how to
>> > re-order the names, since I am new to this program. Been using a windows
>> > program in wine for awhile now.
>>
>> If you open a view to the family (via a pencil and paper icon in the
>> relationship view, or from somewhere else) and then select 'Children',
>> you can use the green arrows at the bottom right of the window to change
>> the order. The arrows move a particular child up or down, so you need to
>> also select the child you want to move.
>>
>> --
>> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> Branford, CT

Re: out of order siblings

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:19:15 +1000
Martin Steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martin,

> If you open a view to the family (via a pencil and paper icon in the
> relationship view, or from somewhere else) and then select 'Children',
> you can use the green arrows at the bottom right of the window to change
> the order. The arrows move a particular child up or down, so you need to
> also select the child you want to move.

You don't actually have to use the arrows;  They got added to GRAMPS
because it's not immediately obvious that you can, in fact, drag 'n' drop
the children in the dialog.  The same applies to other dialogs, of
course.  Address and Events, to name but two....

--
 Regards  _

Walking through town is quite scary
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Susan Penter
Once you have opened the page of children as mentioned I find it even
quicker to drag and drop them into the correct order.  You can also do
this to change the order of personal events in someone's life so that
they follow the correct timeline.
Susan

--
OPC for Lanteglos-by-Fowey
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/lanteglos_fowey.php

OPC coordinator for Wiltshire
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engwopcp/

Secretary to the PCC St. Michael's Headingley
http://www.st-michaels-headingley.org.uk/

Re: Out of Order Siblings

jerome
> You can also do this to change the order of personal events in someone's life so that they follow the correct timeline.

I am too lazy for that !!!
Just click on date header column ;)

Jérôme

Susan Penter a écrit :
> Once you have opened the page of children as mentioned I find it even
> quicker to drag and drop them into the correct order.  You can also do
> this to change the order of personal events in someone's life so that
> they follow the correct timeline.
> Susan

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:17:38 +0200
Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Jérôme,

> I am too lazy for that !!!
> Just click on date header column ;)

That doesn't always work correctly.  For example, 1 Jan 2008 will be list
before 1 Jul 2006.  At least, that's what happens here.

--
 Regards  _

Does she always shout at you, does she tell you what to do
Family Life - Sham 69

Re: Out of Order Siblings

jerome
Hello Brad,

> That doesn't always work correctly.  For example, 1 Jan 2008 will be list
> before 1 Jul 2006.  At least, that's what happens here.

ascending or descending order ? (A->Z or Z->A)
Still wrong if you click on header once more ?

What happend with more than two values ?

Brad Rogers a écrit :

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:17:38 +0200
> Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Jérôme,
>
>> I am too lazy for that !!!
>> Just click on date header column ;)
>
> That doesn't always work correctly.  For example, 1 Jan 2008 will be list
> before 1 Jul 2006.  At least, that's what happens here.

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:42:53 +0200
Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Jérôme,

> ascending or descending order ? (A->Z or Z->A)

First-last / last-first,

> Still wrong if you click on header once more ?

I've been back into Gramps and looked at what occurred, as it's been a
while since I just clicked on Date for ordering of data.  I
mis-remembered what was happening.  My apologies.

When birth dates (as an example) are supplied, everything works as
expected.  However, when there's a mix of birth dates for some offspring
and baptismal dates for the remainder, things get a bit messy.  The
baptismal dates are all grouped together, and the birth dates are grouped
together.  Admittedly, that's a logical grouping, but I'd prefer them to
be date ordered fully.  It was those groups I was having so order using
d'n'd methods.

> What happend with more than two values ?

This was with more than two dates.

--
 Regards  _

I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating
There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics

Re: Out of Order Siblings

jerome
Hello Brad,

>  However, when there's a mix of birth dates for some offspring
> and baptismal dates for the remainder, things get a bit messy.  The
> baptismal dates are all grouped together, and the birth dates are grouped
> together.  Admittedly, that's a logical grouping, but I'd prefer them to
> be date ordered fully.  It was those groups I was having so order using
> d'n'd methods.

If you click on 'Type' header (first column), then entries will be
ordered by type (grouping by name)
If you click on 'Date' header (4th column), then entries will be ordered
by date (sort by date)

But I am using Gramps-3.0.1, maybe it was not implemented on previous
version. What is your version ?

Seems we could improve wiki manual (Events tab) :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_Editing_Data:_Detailed#Editing_Information_About_People
and *Family Editor* section (Children tab)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_Editing_Data:_Detailed#Editing_Information_About_Relationships

Tony,

> Although this may make things look okay in the dialogue, I don't think
> reports will show the children in the order that you want. Drag and drop
> or using the arrows will ensure that the order is correct in the
> dialogue and in reports

By clicking on *OK* button (editor), you commit changes on your
database. Database should keep the order, no ?

I agree, there is a place where it is not correct after reorder (but
with "Drag & Drop" too), it is on Source Editor -> Data Tab
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2332
Seems [key/value] on do not use the same method as Editors !

Jérôme

Brad Rogers a écrit :

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:42:53 +0200
> Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Jérôme,
>
>> ascending or descending order ? (A->Z or Z->A)
>
> First-last / last-first,
>
>> Still wrong if you click on header once more ?
>
> I've been back into Gramps and looked at what occurred, as it's been a
> while since I just clicked on Date for ordering of data.  I
> mis-remembered what was happening.  My apologies.
>
> When birth dates (as an example) are supplied, everything works as
> expected.  However, when there's a mix of birth dates for some offspring
> and baptismal dates for the remainder, things get a bit messy.  The
> baptismal dates are all grouped together, and the birth dates are grouped
> together.  Admittedly, that's a logical grouping, but I'd prefer them to
> be date ordered fully.  It was those groups I was having so order using
> d'n'd methods.
>
>> What happend with more than two values ?
>
> This was with more than two dates.

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Tony Gordon
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 04:17 +0200, Jérôme wrote:
> > You can also do this to change the order of personal events in someone's life so that they follow the correct timeline.
>
> I am too lazy for that !!!
> Just click on date header column ;)

Jerome

Although this may make things look okay in the dialogue, I don't think
reports will show the children in the order that you want. Drag and drop
or using the arrows will ensure that the order is correct in the
dialogue and in reports.

Tony

Re: out of order siblings

Alan Jones-10
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 13:19 +1000, Martin Steer wrote:
> alan jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> If you open a view to the family (via a pencil and paper icon in the
> relationship view, or from somewhere else) and then select 'Children',
> you can use the green arrows at the bottom right of the window to change
> the order. The arrows move a particular child up or down, so you need to
> also select the child you want to move.
>
> --
> Martin

Thanks Martin, and all the rest of you. A lot of responses here, that's
good to see. Maybe my transition to a new program won't be so hard after
all.

Al/2

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Martin Steer-2
Jérôme <[hidden email]> writes:

> If you click on 'Type' header (first column), then entries will be
> ordered by type (grouping by name)
> If you click on 'Date' header (4th column), then entries will be ordered
> by date (sort by date)
>
> But I am using Gramps-3.0.1, maybe it was not implemented on previous
> version. What is your version ?

>> Although this may make things look okay in the dialogue, I don't think
>> reports will show the children in the order that you want. Drag and drop
>> or using the arrows will ensure that the order is correct in the
>> dialogue and in reports
>
> By clicking on *OK* button (editor), you commit changes on your
> database. Database should keep the order, no ?

That isn't the result I get here (gramps 3.0.1-1). Whatever order I get
from clicking the table header is lost when the dialogue window is
closed. That is also what I would expect to happen. It looks to me as
though the database saves the ordering of the # column.

--
Martin

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Benny Malengier

2008/8/28 Martin Steer <[hidden email]>

That isn't the result I get here (gramps 3.0.1-1). Whatever order I get
from clicking the table header is lost when the dialogue window is
closed. That is also what I would expect to happen. It looks to me as
though the database saves the ordering of the # column.

Yes, clicking columns only reorders how you see data on screen, it does not reorder any stored data.
To reorder, as said, there is drag and drop, or the use of the arrow keys.

Re: Out of Order Siblings

jerome
> Yes, clicking columns only reorders how you see data on screen, it does
> not reorder any stored data.
> To reorder, as said, there is drag and drop, or the use of the arrow keys.

I never see that before ...

Thank you! Seems I made a mixture !!! :-[
Or it does not reorder any stored data on ObjectView too ?
I thought "too much" by reading :

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Main_Window#Events_view

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Main_Window#Sources_View

> The Places View lists the places' Name , ID , Church Parish , City , County , State , and Country . All of these columns can be used for sorting by clicking on a column heading.

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Main_Window#Places_View

Sorry !

Jérôme

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> 2008/8/28 Martin Steer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>

>     That isn't the result I get here (gramps 3.0.1-1). Whatever order I get
>     from clicking the table header is lost when the dialogue window is
>     closed. That is also what I would expect to happen. It looks to me as
>     though the database saves the ordering of the # column.
>

> Yes, clicking columns only reorders how you see data on screen, it does
> not reorder any stored data.
> To reorder, as said, there is drag and drop, or the use of the arrow keys.
>
> Benny

Re: Out of Order Siblings

I am not certain to understand ...

> I can't get in to the GRAMPS mailing list, could redirect me to who
> I need to speak to?

At the end of this page :
there are addresses : Gramps-users list run by brian at
gramps-project.org, shura at gramps-project.org

or gramps-users-owner(at)lists.sourceforge.net

PS: If you are registered on mailing list, "reply to all" should send
your message, gramps-users(at)lists.sourceforge.net (and me).

Robert Syms a écrit :

> I have done all that, it still won't let me:
>
> /An attempt was made to subscribe your address to the mailing list
> [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.  You are already subscribed
> to this mailing list.
>
> Note that the list membership is not public, so it is possible that a bad
> person was trying to probe the list for its membership.  This would be a
> privacy violation if we let them do this, but we didn't.
>
> If you submitted the subscription request and forgot that you were already
> subscribed to the list, then you can ignore this message.  If you
> suspect that
> an attempt is being made to covertly discover whether you are a member
> of this
> list, and you are worried about your privacy, then feel free to send a
> message
> to the list administrator at [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> /
>
> 2008/8/28 Robert Syms <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Jerome
>
>     I can't get in to the GRAMPS mailing list, could redirect me to who
>     I need to speak to?
>
>     Robert
>

> --
> Robert

Sending messages to the list...

Nick Wallingford-2
If you get the message that you are already subscribed, but still not
able to send messages to the list, it may be that your email client is
trying to send the message from a different address from that which was
used to subscribe to the list.

Nick

Jérôme wrote:

> I am not certain to understand ...
>
>> I can't get in to the GRAMPS mailing list, could redirect me to who
>> I need to speak to?
>
> At the end of this page :
> there are addresses : Gramps-users list run by brian at
> gramps-project.org, shura at gramps-project.org
>
> or gramps-users-owner(at)lists.sourceforge.net
>

> PS: If you are registered on mailing list, "reply to all" should send
> your message, gramps-users(at)lists.sourceforge.net (and me).
>

> Robert Syms a écrit :
>> I have done all that, it still won't let me:
>>
>> /An attempt was made to subscribe your address to the mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>.  You are already subscribed
>> to this mailing list.
>>
>> Note that the list membership is not public, so it is possible that a bad
>> person was trying to probe the list for its membership.  This would be a
>> privacy violation if we let them do this, but we didn't.
>>
>> If you submitted the subscription request and forgot that you were already
>> subscribed to the list, then you can ignore this message.  If you
>> suspect that
>> an attempt is being made to covertly discover whether you are a member
>> of this
>> list, and you are worried about your privacy, then feel free to send a
>> message
>> to the list administrator at [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
>> /
>>
>> 2008/8/28 Robert Syms <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>     Jerome
>>
>>     I can't get in to the GRAMPS mailing list, could redirect me to who
>>     I need to speak to?
>>
>>     Robert
>>

>> --
>> Robert

Re: Out of Order Siblings

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:48:05 +0200
Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Jérôme,

First, my apologies for the delay in replying (I've been away for a
couple of days, and had no computer access).

> If you click on 'Type' header (first column), then entries will be
> ordered by type (grouping by name)
> If you click on 'Date' header (4th column), then entries will be
> ordered by date (sort by date)

All true, but I was talking about *Family* view and dialogs, not
*Person*.  In the Family view, "Type" doesn't appear.  Date ordering
there works as I said.  In Family, there's the following;

#  ID  Name  Gender  Paternal  Maternal  Birth Date.

> But I am using Gramps-3.0.1, maybe

Same version as I use, currently.

--
 Regards  _

Tired of doing day jobs with no thanks for what I do
Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie & The Hotrods

Re: Out of Order Siblings

jerome
Hello Brad,

Shame on me !
I made multiples mistakes + wording errors (grammar and spelling)... :-[

As Benny said, click on header will change the display of data, only
drag and drop (or using the arrows) will keep changes.

Also, to reorder entries on ObjectView (EventView, SourceView...) has no
sense, we are just able to sort data during the session by playing with
headers on column.

Jérôme