place hierachy

tw h

I want to tell about some technology, which people might not be familiar with. It is up to the development team to decide to take advantage of this technology.

The problem with info about places is a common problem. Many programs has this problem. There is a free solution available by dbpedia, which is an extraction from wikipedia. For example take London: http://dbpedia.org/page/London

You can see that it is part of UK, and many other attributes (like geo location, and partof/containing). For almost every place there is a dbpedia page.

dbpedia.org
ロンドン(英語: London、英語発音: [ˈlʌndən])は、グレートブリテンおよび北アイルランド連合王国およびこれを構成する ...
With the following libraries you can request info (OData) with a SQL like language (sparql):

http://www.odata.org/libraries/#other

If you add support for this technology, one day, we could have interconnected genealogy trees between different people. Eg. person1 has a tree containing names, which person2 also has in his tree. If anyone adds information, the other can (if he wants to) use that info also.

Re: place hierachy

Tom Hughes
On 24/10/16 07:33, tw h wrote:

> The problem with info about places is a common problem. Many programs
> has this problem. There is a free solution available by dbpedia, which
> is an extraction from wikipedia. For example take London:
> http://dbpedia.org/page/London

There's also wikpedia's own version of the same idea, wikidata:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q84

It can even handle changes in parent relationship over time:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q84#P17
   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q84#P131

That said I suspect that you will find that any data source like this
will be very incomplete when you try to use it to represent the full set
of places in a typical tree...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: place hierachy

Op 24-10-16 om 08:33 schreef tw h:

I want to tell about some technology, which people might not be familiar with. It is up to the development team to decide to take advantage of this technology.

The problem with info about places is a common problem. Many programs has this problem. There is a free solution available by dbpedia, which is an extraction from wikipedia. For example take London: http://dbpedia.org/page/London

You can see that it is part of UK, and many other attributes (like geo location, and partof/containing). For almost every place there is a dbpedia page.

There are several web services, but I don't know whether every user likes to be connected all the time. And when I have a choice, I prefer to use a dataset like geonames, which can be downloaded for off-line use.

I downloaded geonames files for The Netherlands, Germany, and Great Britain, and found that they cover most of the locations that I have now, including churches and cemeteries. I already found the Nieuwe Kerk that I use in examples on the user list.

If you add support for this technology, one day, we could have interconnected genealogy trees between different people. Eg. person1 has a tree containing names, which person2 also has in his tree. If anyone adds information, the other can (if he wants to) use that info also.
Right. I must say that in this area, we're slowly falling behind commercial programs like RootsMagic, which connect to shared trees already. I use RootsMagic to compare my data to the shared tree on FamilySearch, and Geni (via My Heritage), but things would be much easier if Gramps can do that.

regards,