places

Tom Kupp-2

When entering Places, what is the difference between Title and Name?

Thanks!

Re: places

Ron Johnson
On 11/06/2017 02:15 PM, Tom Kupp wrote:

When entering Places, what is the difference between Title and Name?

Thanks!

What version are you using?

Re: places

Hi Tom,

In the simplest terms, the title is the complete name: Boston, Suffolk
Co, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

while the name is what the locality is named: Boston

In the hierarchy structure the levels would be:

NAME                TYPE        TITLE
U.S.A.                Country     U.S.A.
Massachusetts   State        Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Suffolk Co          County     Suffolk Co, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Boston                City          Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Each smaller locality is enclosed by the place entity above it.
Ideally, each place entity is only entered once.

In Menu >> Edit >> Preferences >> Places tab; there is a check box to
have Gramps automatically complete the Title based upon the hierarchy.
You can also go smaller than the City/Town level to specific locations
within a city; Cemeteries, Hospitals, or Street and below Street,
Number. There is a check box to suppress the comma after Number so the
Number type has a specific function.

NAME                TYPE        TITLE
Boston                City          Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Beacon St          Street       Beacon St, Boston, Suffolk Co,
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
28                       Number    28 Beacon St, Boston, Suffolk Co,
Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Thus concludes Places lesson 101. For Advance Places, you can also
have smaller entities enclosed by more than one hierarchy place.

Before Suffolk Co was under Massachusetts (the state) it was under Colonies

So Suffolk Co is

ENCLOSED BY                             DATE
Massachusetts                              after 5 Feb 1788
Province of Massachusetts Bay    from 6 Oct 1691 to 6 Feb 1788
Massachusetts Bay Colony           from 1620 to 6 Oct 1691
Massachusetts

Based upon the date of the event, Gramps will automatically select the
correct path of the hierarchy. Each place record can have its own
enclosed by records to reflect its Title based upon the date of the
event.

I include Massachusetts again with no date as a default path. If there
is no date on an event, Gramps will choose the earliest date path to
determine the Title. So in this example, no date would be before 1620.
Without the last Massachusetts entry, it would display Boston, Suffolk
Co and stop there. It took me a while to figure out how to handle
events with no dates. This is what I came up with.

This same use of dates can be used to reflect changes in the name of
the locality; changes in the name of the City as an example. Dates can
be added to Alternative Places and in the Place Name editor to reflect
these changes based upon the date of the event.

Thus concludes Advance Places 201. I hope it does not scare you off.

Dave

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Kupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When entering Places, what is the difference between Title and Name?
>
> Thanks!

Re: places

Dave Scheipers
Hi Tom,

I now see you are using an earlier version.

Disregard everything I posted about Gramps automatically creating the
Title. You will need to manually set the Title which is what is
displayed when the place record is attached to an event.

The automatic dynamic title generation is in latter versions.

Unless you are tied to the 4.1.3 version, you may want to navigate to
a newer version. I spent a lot of time cleaning my place records in
earlier versions. I am once again modifying my place records to take
advantage of its dynamic capabilities. I am NOT saying you must or
should upgrade. But if you have a lot of cleaning to do in your place
records, merging duplicates etc, you may save yourself efforts by
upgrading before you make all the changes to then have to go back and
revisit each place record if or when you do upgrade sometime in the
future.

I really hope I have not scared you too badly, Dave

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Tom Kupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> is no date on an event, Gramps will choose the earliest date path to
> determine the Title. So in this example, no date would be before 1620.
> Without the last Massachusetts entry, it would display Boston, Suffolk
> Co and stop there. It took me a while to figure out how to handle
> events with no dates. This is what I came up with.
>
> This same use of dates can be used to reflect changes in the name of
> the locality; changes in the name of the City as an example. Dates can
> be added to Alternative Places and in the Place Name editor to reflect
> these changes based upon the date of the event.
>
> Thus concludes Advance Places 201. I hope it does not scare you off.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Tom Kupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When entering Places, what is the difference between Title and Name?

Re: places

On 11/06/2017 04:00 PM, Tom Kupp wrote:
> On 11/06/2017 04:57 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
[snip
>> But if you have a lot of cleaning to do in your place
>> records, merging duplicates etc, you may save yourself efforts by
>> upgrading before you make all the changes to then have to go back and
>> revisit each place record if or when you do upgrade sometime in the
>> future.

I disagree with that.  Cleaning up Places before the upgrade made things
simpler for me.

Re: places

One minor annoyance I've noticed in the Windows GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 version is that the Name field in the Places concatenates the Alternate names with a comma but that comma also lacks a space.
I really wish that the display would limit to the alternate name appropriate to the Event date.

 Hi Tom,

 wrote:
 > On 11/06/2017 04:13 PM, Dave
 Scheipers wrote:

 Hi Tom,

 > In the
 simplest terms, the title is the complete name: Boston,
 Suffolk
 > Co, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
 >
 > while the name is
 what the locality is named: Boston

 > In the hierarchy structure the levels
 would be:

 > NAME
               TYPE        TITLE
 > U.S.A.                Country
  U.S.A.
 > Massachusetts   State
   Massachusetts, U.S.A.
 > Suffolk Co
         County     Suffolk Co, Massachusetts,
 U.S.A.
 > Boston
 City          Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts,
 > U.S.A.
 >
 > Each smaller locality is enclosed by the
 place entity above it.
 > Ideally, each
 place entity is only entered once.

 > In Menu >> Edit >> Preferences
 >> Places tab; there is a check box to
 > have Gramps automatically complete the
 Title based upon the hierarchy.
 > You can
 also go smaller than the City/Town level to specific
 locations
 > within a city; Cemeteries,
 Hospitals, or Street and below Street,

 Number. There is a check box to suppress the comma after
 Number so the
 > Number type has a
 specific function.

 NAME                TYPE        TITLE
 > Boston                City
     Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts,
 > U.S.A.
 > Beacon St
       Street       Beacon St, Boston, Suffolk Co,
 > Massachusetts, U.S.A.

 28                       Number    28 Beacon
 St, Boston, Suffolk Co,
 > Massachusetts,
 U.S.A.

 > Thus
 concludes Places lesson 101. For Advance Places, you can
 also
 > have smaller entities enclosed by
 more than one hierarchy place.

 > Before Suffolk Co was under Massachusetts
 (the state) it was under Colonies

 > So Suffolk Co is
 >
 > ENCLOSED BY
          DATE

 wrote:

 > When
 entering Places, what is the difference between Title and
 Name?

 > Thanks!

 > Great lesson!

Re: places

It just seemed that having gone through the place records once, I am
now having to revisit all the records to make them dynamically change
based upon the event date. Granted, when I did it the first time, the
only option was the static record. That is no longer the case,. To
spend the time twice seems redundant to me so I alerted Tom to this
fact.

I am also waiting to see how FindAGrave finalizes their transition. I
have included a link to the FindAGrave database on each cemetery
record (or most of them). If those links become invalid, that's
another trip through the place database to fix links. Some days I
spend more time doing work on places than I do with the actual
genealogy.

Dave

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:17 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/06/2017 04:00 PM, Tom Kupp wrote:
>>
>> On 11/06/2017 04:57 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>
> [snip
>>>
>>> But if you have a lot of cleaning to do in your place
>>> records, merging duplicates etc, you may save yourself efforts by
>>> upgrading before you make all the changes to then have to go back and
>>> revisit each place record if or when you do upgrade sometime in the
>>> future.
>

> I disagree with that.  Cleaning up Places before the upgrade made things
> simpler for me.
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: places

What you describe only occurs during the selection process. Some
places have more than one alternate name so I do not mind seeing them
in a list squashed together. Only one of the names will display in the
event record.

As to having the place display based upon the date before the event is
saved...  the place doesn't "see" the date. It is only when the event
is saved that the place knows what to display. Even if you edit an
event, the place reverts back to displaying as if it is today's date.
That it is able to handle this dynamic change is pretty amazing.

Dave