preparation for the switch to 2.0

Damon Riley
Hi, All.

I'm running GRAMPS 1.0.4-1 on Ubuntu.  Over the coming weekend I plan to
destroy my Windows partition (yay!) and Ubuntu and install Libranet 3.0.
  I have backed up my GRAMPS (and other) data to a fileserver.  Is there
anything else I need to know/do before switching to the newest GRAMPS?

BTW, my GRAMPS data includes about 2,800 individuals.

Thanks in advance,

-- Damon

Re: preparation for the switch to 2.0

Alex Roitman
Damon,

On 05/24/2005 08:39:55 PM, Damon Riley wrote:

> I'm running GRAMPS 1.0.4-1 on Ubuntu.  Over the coming weekend I plan to
> destroy my Windows partition (yay!) and Ubuntu and install Libranet 3.0.
>   I have backed up my GRAMPS (and other) data to a fileserver.  Is there
> anything else I need to know/do before switching to the newest GRAMPS?

The main question is whether Libranet 3.0 has new enough gtk, gnome,
pygtk, and gnome-python libraries. The latest version of GRAMPS requires
pygtk2.4 and gnome-python 2.6. If this is available then you're all
set. If not, you will be looking at the option of upgrading a lot of
things on your own, which may or may not be a lot of fun.

BTW, default Ubuntu (Hoary Hedgehog releas) includes *everything*
required to run gramps. If this is critical for you, you may want
to consider an option of going with Ubuntu. The debian packages are
promptly made for each release, and always available from debian
archive. They work without any modifications, just do
   dpkg -i gramps-version-at-the-moment.deb
and you're done.

> BTW, my GRAMPS data includes about 2,800 individuals.

With 2.0.1 this should be no problem. You will have to wait
for initial import of your current XML data, but after that
opening the database will be just a breeze.

Alex