Quantcast

prepare gramps 3.4

I believe we should start the push for 3.4.

Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
Step 2: Doug, can you shift the plugin infrastructure to accomodate this
Step 3: All: stabilization of the code, bug fixing.

Suggestions:
no new features anymore 12 feb  (so only bug fix in 3.4 after that)
string freeze: 26 feb

If we can cleanup the roadmap of 3.4 then in March, we can aim for a
beta release end of March.

Looking at the roadmap, we should also do a 3.3.2 before that.

Greetings,

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

DS Blank
On 1/26/12, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>
> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
> Step 2: Doug, can you shift the plugin infrastructure to accomodate this

That should already be ready.

> Step 3: All: stabilization of the code, bug fixing.

I've got a few items in my queue that I will make sure get addressed by Feb 12.

Sounds like a plan!

-Doug

> Suggestions:
> no new features anymore 12 feb  (so only bug fix in 3.4 after that)
> string freeze: 26 feb
>
> If we can cleanup the roadmap of 3.4 then in March, we can aim for a
> beta release end of March.
>
> Looking at the roadmap, we should also do a 3.3.2 before that.
>
> Greetings,
> Benny

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Brian Matherly
> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.

> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?

I can do that any time. But typically, we don't create the maintenance branch (3.4) until the code is "feature complete" in trunk. That way there are only stability changes and bug fixed going in to the maintenance branch. So if we expect to be feature complete by Feb 12, I think that would be the day to make the 3.4 branch. I will wait until the 12th unless there is a good reason to branch sooner.

We don't make a new trunk. Trunk is always trunk.

~Brian

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Harald Rosemann

What is the last time to upload a new LaTeXDoc.py-version?
(self-adapting table building mechanism, displaying pictures)
I am nearly ready.

Only the new feature: table of multirow-columns
in version 18769 has to be respected.
(see bug tracker #5434)

Harald

Am 26.01.2012 14:21, schrieb Brian Matherly:

>> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
> I can do that any time. But typically, we don't create the maintenance branch (3.4) until the code is "feature complete" in trunk. That way there are only stability changes and bug fixed going in to the maintenance branch. So if we expect to be feature complete by Feb 12, I think that would be the day to make the 3.4 branch. I will wait until the 12th unless there is a good reason to branch sooner.
>
> We don't make a new trunk. Trunk is always trunk.
>
> ~Brian

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Tim Lyons
Administrator
DS Blank wrote
On 1/26/12, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>
> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
> Step 2: Doug, can you shift the plugin infrastructure to accomodate this

That should already be ready.

I agree with the logic of not creating a gramps34 branch till later, but I am confused about what is supposed to happen with the add-ons.

Where should development of the 3.4 add-ons take place? Should it be in
https://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps-addons/trunk
or
https://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps-addons/branches/gramps34

Should test versions of gramps be altered to look in either one or the other for their add-ons? When I try to refresh the add-on list in trunk gramps, it returns nothing. Should a 3.4 add-ons wiki page be created?

I am concerned because there may be some add-ons tha need to be updated.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

DS Blank
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> DS Blank wrote
>>
>> On 1/26/12, Benny Malengier &lt;benny.malengier@&gt; wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>>>
>>> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
>>> Step 2: Doug, can you shift the plugin infrastructure to accomodate this
>>
>> That should already be ready.
>>

> I agree with the logic of not creating a gramps34 branch till later, but I
> am confused about what is supposed to happen with the add-ons.

The addons have been called 3.4 since the creation of branch/gramps33.

> Where should development of the 3.4 add-ons take place? Should it be in
> https://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps-addons/trunk
> or
> https://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps-addons/branches/gramps34

When trunk is branched, we will also branch gramps-addons.

> Should test versions of gramps be altered to look in either one or the other
> for their add-ons? When I try to refresh the add-on list in trunk gramps, it
> returns nothing. Should a 3.4 add-ons wiki page be created?

When gramps-addons branch gramps34 is created, we will change the path
in gramps to look in the correct place.

The addons wiki page (and related update mechanism in the Plugin
Manager) has been replaced with the new Preferences auto-update
mechanism. At some point, we should remove the Plugin Manager code,
and deprecate the wiki pages. We can automate a new wiki page that can
be generated out of the gramps-addon repository. In fact, the new
version has translations, so it can do more than the wiki. (We may
need to add a thumbnail URL to the addon API).

> I am concerned because there may be some add-ons tha need to be updated.

Yes, there probably are. We can easily change a un-updated plugin to
have a lower gramps_target_version and it won't show until someone
fixes it in the future. The adjustment of the gramps_target_version
(changing 3.4 to 3.3) can happen at any time before we release Gramps
3.4.

-Doug

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

2012/1/26 Harald Rosemann <[hidden email]>:

> What is the last time to upload a new LaTeXDoc.py-version?
> (self-adapting table building mechanism, displaying pictures)
> I am nearly ready.

Before 12 feb.

As Brian notes, we create branch 34 then.

Benny

> Only the new feature: table of multirow-columns
> in version 18769 has to be respected.
> (see bug tracker #5434)
>
> Harald
>

> Am 26.01.2012 14:21, schrieb Brian Matherly:
>>> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>>> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, and a new trunk?
>> I can do that any time. But typically, we don't create the maintenance branch (3.4) until the code is "feature complete" in trunk. That way there are only stability changes and bug fixed going in to the maintenance branch. So if we expect to be feature complete by Feb 12, I think that would be the day to make the 3.4 branch. I will wait until the 12th unless there is a good reason to branch sooner.
>>
>> We don't make a new trunk. Trunk is always trunk.
>>
>> ~Brian

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Note, I added copy of current last stable versions of addons as files on sourceforge hosting[1]... //I know ...//

Some users downloaded via this place!
Are they downloading at work or they have proxies at home ???

Anyway, packages are also available via 'common/standard' interface for sourceforge ...I do not want to update every files but I guess they are enough stable and tested ("end of line") during last months.

About 3.4 release, I will also merge some translations from 3.3.x to trunk for translators who do not use SVN (committed by myself!). Regular translators often have started to translate their alternate file for trunk.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/files/

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note, I added copy of current last stable versions of addons as files on sourceforge hosting[1]... //I know ...//
>
> Some users downloaded via this place!
> Are they downloading at work or they have proxies at home ???
>
> Anyway, packages are also available via 'common/standard' interface for sourceforge ...I do not want to update every files but I guess they are enough stable and tested ("end of line") during last months.

Sounds confusing... are these hand-copied? That means that they may
not be up to date? I'd rather point people to:

http://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps-addons/branches/gramps33/download/

which is automatically updated when we rebuild the addon and will
always be the official version.

> About 3.4 release, I will also merge some translations from 3.3.x to trunk for translators who do not use SVN (committed by myself!). Regular translators often have started to translate their alternate file for trunk.

Thanks! As you probably know, it should be the case that if you
rebuild an addon, it will look for phrases in Gramps-core, or other
addons, that are used in that addon so there shouldn't be duplicate
phrases to translate.

-Doug

On 26 Jan 2012, at 15:15, Doug Blank wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> DS Blank wrote
>>>
> When trunk is branched, we will also branch gramps-addons.

Sounds fine.

>> Should test versions of gramps be altered to look in either one or
>> the other
>> for their add-ons? When I try to refresh the add-on list in trunk
>> gramps, it
>> returns nothing. Should a 3.4 add-ons wiki page be created?
>
> When gramps-addons branch gramps34 is created, we will change the path
> in gramps to look in the correct place.

OK, but see below, it doesn't seem to be looking in the right place now.

> The addons wiki page (and related update mechanism in the Plugin
> Manager) has been replaced with the new Preferences auto-update
> mechanism.
> At some point, we should remove the Plugin Manager code,

Is refresh now from preferences implemented (as opposed to setting a
refresh for the next time you start gramps)? (Can't look at gramps
myself at this moment). Also, I hope this wouldn't mean that Reload
went!

The preferences mechanism looks like something that needs to be
updated in the wiki user manual.

> and deprecate the wiki pages. We can automate a new wiki page that can
> be generated out of the gramps-addon repository. In fact, the new
> version has translations, so it can do more than the wiki. (We may
> need to add a thumbnail URL to the addon API).

My problem is with the plugin manager: Install Addons:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.3_Wiki_Manual_-_Plugin_Manager#Install_Addons

Where does/should this look for plugins? At the moment in trunk, when
you click on Refresh Addon List, nothing appears. Maybe it should be
looking in gramps-addons/trunk, and it is not looking there yet.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

> Sounds confusing... are these hand-copied? That means that
> they may
> not be up to date? I'd rather point people to:
>
> http://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps-addons/branches/gramps33/download/
>
> which is automatically updated when we rebuild the addon and
> will
> always be the official version.

Yes !
But this will not be file releases, like provided by sourceforge...

Current way is a custom way, right?
Load balancing, bandwidth, etc ... cannot be optimized by sourceforge.

Also, looking at stats, some people are downloading[1] addons via this 'gramps-addons' page!

True, to provide urls/links to:
 http://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps-addons/branches/gramps33/download/ will be the solution, but how to inform these people who are downloading via 'gramps-addons' page? Are they all gramps' users?
Are they programs vendors who do not have any ideas and need some new one? I do not know, but it seems that they are downloading[2] from countries like Spain, Korea, France.

Note, once they have installed an addon, they should be able to use the current way. This 'type of file release' is rather a guidance than main location for donwloading current addons... Something like "this addon project is active, see last stable releases, have a look and make some new one".

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/files/3.3/stats/timeline
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/files/3.2/stats/timeline?dates=2011-02-14+to+2012-01-27

Jérôme

> [...]
> >> is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL -
> plus HTML5,
> >> CSS3, MVC3,
> >> Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when
> you
> >> subscribe now!
> >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Tim Lyons
Administrator
DS Blank wrote
The addons wiki page (and related update mechanism in the Plugin
Manager) has been replaced with the new Preferences auto-update
mechanism. At some point, we should remove the Plugin Manager code,
and deprecate the wiki pages. We can automate a new wiki page that can
be generated out of the gramps-addon repository. In fact, the new
version has translations, so it can do more than the wiki. (We may
need to add a thumbnail URL to the addon API).
Doug,

I wasn't really aware of the Preferences update options, and always clicked cancel when the new addons dialogue seemingly randomly appeared on Gramps start.

The problem with the new Preferences auto-update mechanism is that if I decide while running Gramps that I want to add an add-on that I haven't used before, I can't do it through the Preferences mechanism (unless there happen to be updates since the last automatic check). I click on Preferences->General->Check now, and it says "There are no available addons of this type".

If I use Help->Plugin Manager->Install Addons->Refresh Addon List I can add a new report, but this doesn't work in trunk.

So, my question is: I am running trunk, and I notice there is this nifty SetAttributeTool add-on, and I want to load the latest (trunk?) to see whether it has already been updated for citations (or does not need to be updated). How do I do that? I can't use Plugin Manager because it finds nothing, I can't use Preferences because it says nothing has changed, so what can I do?

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Brian Matherly wrote
On 1/26/12, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.

> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, <snip>

I can do that any time. But typically, we don't create the maintenance branch (3.4) until the code is "feature complete" in trunk. That way there are only stability changes and bug fixed going in to the maintenance branch. So if we expect to be feature complete by Feb 12, I think that would be the day to make the 3.4 branch. I will wait until the 12th unless there is a good reason to branch sooner.

> Suggestions:
> no new features anymore 12 feb  (so only bug fix in 3.4 after that)
> string freeze: 26 feb
>
> If we can cleanup the roadmap of 3.4 then in March, we can aim for a
> beta release end of March.
>
> Looking at the roadmap, we should also do a 3.3.2 before that.
What is the current state?

Jérôme has done a fantastic job on bug triage (many thanks to him), but it has meant that quite a few things that are really either feature requests or annoyances that have existed for a long time have crept into the roadmap (except [1]) since your messages in January 2012.

Given that there has been a string freeze since 26 Feb, no new features or major fixes have been introduced since then, so is it now time to progress the release?

Is there any appetite for doing 3.3.2? Given apparent shortage of resources, I would be inclined not to proceed with that.

Tim.

[1] 5656 and 5667 are genuinely new bugs on the new features, I have fixed the first and will do the second soon.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Benny Malengier

2012/4/6 Tim Lyons <[hidden email]>

Brian Matherly wrote

> On 1/26/12, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I believe we should start the push for 3.4.
>

>> Step 1: Brian, can you make branch 3.4, <snip>
>
> I can do that any time. But typically, we don't create the maintenance
> branch (3.4) until the code is "feature complete" in trunk. That way there
> are only stability changes and bug fixed going in to the maintenance
> branch. So if we expect to be feature complete by Feb 12, I think that
> would be the day to make the 3.4 branch. I will wait until the 12th unless
> there is a good reason to branch sooner.
>
>> Suggestions:
>> no new features anymore 12 feb  (so only bug fix in 3.4 after that)
>> string freeze: 26 feb
>>
>> If we can cleanup the roadmap of 3.4 then in March, we can aim for a
>> beta release end of March.
>>
>> Looking at the roadmap, we should also do a 3.3.2 before that.

What is the current state?

Jérôme has done a fantastic job on bug triage (many thanks to him), but it
has meant that quite a few things that are really either feature requests or
annoyances that have existed for a long time have crept into the roadmap
(except [1]) since your messages in January 2012.

Given that there has been a string freeze since 26 Feb, no new features or
major fixes have been introduced since then, so is it now time to progress
the release?

Is there any appetite for doing 3.3.2? Given apparent shortage of resources,
I would be inclined not to proceed with that.

I would prefer if both are done.

We just need someone to pull this, so we can ask Stephane to release.
I have an important solicitation coming up, which is why I missed the end of March to finish up.

As the major change is your citation change, perhaps you can finilize 3.4? So finish roadmap (by eg moving to 3.4.1), some final testing, actually installing gramps with make install, and testing the installed version.

If this is ok, then you pass the baton to Stephane to decide on a time of release, which should be when you are actually available to help the days after release, should a follow up release be needed shortly after due to an unforeseen problem.

Benny

Tim.

[1] 5656 and 5667 are genuinely new bugs on the new features, I have fixed
the first and will do the second soon.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Tim Lyons
Administrator

On 6 Apr 2012, at 12:57, Benny Malengier wrote:

2012/4/6 Tim Lyons

Brian Matherly wrote

Is there any appetite for doing 3.3.2? Given apparent shortage of resources,
I would be inclined not to proceed with that.

I would prefer if both are done.

OK, fine, no problem. What relative timescale would you envisage for the two releases? Would they be more or less concurrent so that users had the choice of upgrading to 3.4 or to 3.3.2? Or something else? Would that be the last release in the 3.3 series?

We just need someone to pull this, so we can ask Stephane to release.
I have an important solicitation coming up, which is why I missed the end of March to finish up.

As the major change is your citation change, perhaps you can finilize 3.4? So finish roadmap (by eg moving to 3.4.1), some final testing, actually installing gramps with make install, and testing the installed version.

I have cleaned up the roadmap for 3.4.0, just leaving:
- 0005595: [Interface] DBError when rebuilding reference maps while Event view row is selected - new.
- 0002092: [General] Running 'Tools > Database Repair...' with no database open - feedback.

There is also
- 0005466: [File Formats] [XML]: need to check empty personref - feedback.
which is now in 3.3.

All three of these have had a lot of work done on them and have draft changes and are irritating problems. If possible, I would like to get all of these included in 3.4, but that depends on the copy addressees. Is there any possibility of a push on these changes please?

Tim.

If this is ok, then you pass the baton to Stephane to decide on a time of release, which should be when you are actually available to help the days after release, should a follow up release be needed shortly after due to an unforeseen problem.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

I do not think that Gramps 3.3.1 should be the last release for 3.3.x
branch! There is already some duplicate bug-reports about 3.3.1, and
fixes or better descriptions on 3.3.2. Remember that some linux
distributions/packagers do not provide new major releases. So, we could
still have bug-reports for 3.3.x on next months, even after 3.4.x release...

If this could help, I should be able to make a '3.3.2'
release/archive[1][3].

Maybe, just a problem for myself to properly set the name and to
generate well written english textual informations (change log, etc ...)

I can generate the archive, which might wait for uploading.
Stephane could check it before upload on sourceforge hosting.

Otherwise, there is also the fix for last automake versions on 3.3.2[4].
Packagers might test, improve packaging before next major release.
This could avoid some bad surprises with 3.4.x.

Finally, what should be done with 3.3.3[5]!

[1]
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release
[2]
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release#Release_name
[3] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=28
[4] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php?version_id=28
[5] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=29

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> [...]
>

> I would prefer if both are done.
>
> We just need someone to pull this, so we can ask Stephane to release.
> I have an important solicitation coming up, which is why I missed the
> end of March to finish up.
>
> As the major change is your citation change, perhaps you can finilize
> 3.4? So finish roadmap (by eg moving to 3.4.1), some final testing,
> actually installing gramps with make install, and testing the installed
> version.
>
> If this is ok, then you pass the baton to Stephane to decide on a time
> of release, which should be when you are actually available to help the
> days after release, should a follow up release be needed shortly after
> due to an unforeseen problem.
>
> Benny
>

>     Tim.
>

>     [1] 5656 and 5667 are genuinely new bugs on the new features, I have

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Nick Hall-6
On 06/04/12 18:52, Tim Lyons wrote:

I have cleaned up the roadmap for 3.4.0, just leaving:
- 0005595: [Interface] DBError when rebuilding reference maps while Event view row is selected - new.
- 0002092: [General] Running 'Tools > Database Repair...' with no database open - feedback.

There is also
- 0005466: [File Formats] [XML]: need to check empty personref - feedback.
which is now in 3.3.

All three of these have had a lot of work done on them and have draft changes and are irritating problems. If possible, I would like to get all of these included in 3.4, but that depends on the copy addressees. Is there any possibility of a push on these changes please?

We still do not have a complete solution for 2092: Running 'Tools > Database Repair...' with no database open.  Gramps does not correctly handle the situation when a database is closed and no new database is opened.  We do not clear all views and gramplets properly when a database is closed.

I suggest v3.5 as a new target version.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Michiel Nauta

I see all three remaining issues are things I worked on.

5595: We have a method in the database code called
"find_backlink_handles". This is a very handy method and I and probably
most developers assume it to be available. This is however not always
true. If the action takes place during a batch transaction with "magic"
the needed database table is removed and we get an error like bug 5595.
So my patch is to fall back to a slower implementation of
find_backlink_handles (that was already in our codebase) that just
iterates over the database to find the backlink handles. I think it is
better to be slow than to err.

2092: I do not have a clear picture what still needs to be done to be
able to run Gramps without database. I have the impression it is the
gramplets that are giving some kind of problem, but I am not familiar
with the gramplet code. I do think it is an important issue because I
saw quite a number of bug reports that relate to this.

5466: This is quite a big patch and affects both the import and Check
and Repair tool. Instead of removing anything that refers to primary
objects that are not present in the imported file, I suggest to just add
a primary object as a kind of placeholder and make clear to the user why
these primary objects have been added. Tim, I understood you were
interested in implementing something similar for GEDCOM. Has that been
included in the code? (sorry, too busy to be able to keep up what has
been going on the last three months). I think for GEDCOM import this
could be an important because there is so much low quality GEDCOM
around, but for the actual bug reported (which is Gramps XML import) it
isn't. If the similar code for GEDCOM import is not yet included in our
codebase, I suggest we leave this patch for the 3.5 release.

Michiel

On 04/06/2012 07:52 PM, Tim Lyons wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2012, at 12:57, Benny Malengier wrote:
>
>> 2012/4/6 Tim Lyons
>>
>> Brian Matherly wrote
>>
>> Is there any appetite for doing 3.3.2? Given apparent shortage of
>> resources,
>> I would be inclined not to proceed with that.
>>
>> I would prefer if both are done.
>

> OK, fine, no problem. What relative timescale would you envisage for the
> two releases? Would they be more or less concurrent so that users had
> the choice of upgrading to 3.4 or to 3.3.2? Or something else? Would
> that be the last release in the 3.3 series?
>
>> We just need someone to pull this, so we can ask Stephane to release.
>> I have an important solicitation coming up, which is why I missed the
>> end of March to finish up.
>>
>> As the major change is your citation change, perhaps you can finilize
>> 3.4? So finish roadmap (by eg moving to 3.4.1), some final testing,
>> actually installing gramps with make install, and testing the
>> installed version.
>

> I have cleaned up the roadmap for 3.4.0, just leaving:
> - 0005595: [Interface] DBError when rebuilding reference maps while
> Event view row is selected - new.
> - 0002092: [General] Running 'Tools > Database Repair...' with no
> database open - feedback.
>
> There is also
> - 0005466: [File Formats] [XML]: need to check empty personref - feedback.
> which is now in 3.3.
>

> All three of these have had a lot of work done on them and have draft
> changes and are irritating problems. If possible, I would like to get
> all of these included in 3.4, but that depends on the copy addressees.
> Is there any possibility of a push on these changes please?
>
> Tim.
>

>> If this is ok, then you pass the baton to Stephane to decide on a time
>> of release, which should be when you are actually available to help
>> the days after release, should a follow up release be needed shortly
>> after due to an unforeseen problem.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Hi, Michiel,

On 7 Apr 2012, at 07:23, Michiel Nauta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see all three remaining issues are things I worked on.
>
> 5595: We have a method in the database code called
> "find_backlink_handles". This is a very handy method and I and
> probably most developers assume it to be available. This is however
> not always true. If the action takes place during a batch
> transaction with "magic" the needed database table is removed and we
> get an error like bug 5595. So my patch is to fall back to a slower
> implementation of find_backlink_handles (that was already in our
> codebase) that just iterates over the database to find the backlink
> handles. I think it is better to be slow than to err.

Yes, I had a number of situations where find_backlink_handles was not
available, and had to change the implementation (I think in some
cases, I was able to use a scan from the other direction).

You mention that this patch needs discussion on the devel list.

Well, displaying the participant in an event seems to be entirely
inessential during 'Rebuild references maps', so I would just protect
the get_participant_from_event (or protect find_backlink_handles
within get_participant_from_event) with a try...except block. The
rebuild is slow anyway, so I wouldn't want it slowed down even more by
a long backlinks scan. [I may have misunderstood the problem - if so,
sorry].

> 2092: I do not have a clear picture what still needs to be done to
> be able to run Gramps without database. I have the impression it is
> the gramplets that are giving some kind of problem, but I am not
> familiar with the gramplet code. I do think it is an important issue
> because I saw quite a number of bug reports that relate to this.

Just in general, it seems to me that if the interface between Gramps
and Gramplets is well defined, any case where the gramplet does not
react appropriately to there being no database would be a bug in the
gramplet to be fixed on fail. I don't thing that most of these would
be terribly fatal bugs, just that the display is not cleared!

Just having a quick look at the gramplets, isn't it the case that
db_changed is called when the database is changed, so if the database
is changed to none, then isn't it the responsibility of the gramplet
to react appropriately?  If the gramplet doesn't react appropriately
then that would be a bug in the gramplet to be fixed on fail?

If I have got the wrong end of this particular stick, then perhaps
there needs to be a general 'reset' function in all gramplets which
needs to be called when there is no database, and this could as well
be introduced now when most gramplets might need to be updated to
reflect the citations change? I would agree that it would be
undesirable to add more interfaces that must be implemented in the
gramplet, so would prefer another solution. [I am not entirely clear
what methods must be supplied in the gramplet, and what it calls. The
description in http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramplets#Core_Methods
  says "utilizes the following methods", but I don't know whether this
means they are called by the gramplet or must be implemented within
the gramplet - I suppose the wording lower down implies the latter,
but it is not clear to me.]

> 5466: This is quite a big patch and affects both the import and
> Check and Repair tool. Instead of removing anything that refers to
> primary objects that are not present in the imported file, I suggest
> to just add a primary object as a kind of placeholder and make clear
> to the user why these primary objects have been added. Tim, I
> understood you were interested in implementing something similar for
> GEDCOM. Has that been included in the code? (sorry, too busy to be
> able to keep up what has been going on the last three months). I
> think for GEDCOM import this could be an important because there is
> so much low quality GEDCOM around, but for the actual bug reported
> (which is Gramps XML import) it isn't. If the similar code for
> GEDCOM import is not yet included in our codebase, I suggest we
> leave this patch for the 3.5 release.

I agree that this is important, because there are many, many bugs
around that all relate to the database being 'corrupt' because of
missing things in the GEDCOM. Fixing this would mean we could close a
large umber of bugs! I have code for GEDCOM import for detecting
missing things, and 'doing something sensible'. The code is just
awaiting your patch so that I can glue my code to your patch (and fix
any interface incompatibilities).

Tim.

> Michiel
>
> On 04/06/2012 07:52 PM, Tim Lyons wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Apr 2012, at 12:57, Benny Malengier wrote:
>>
>>> 2012/4/6 Tim Lyons
>>>
>>> Brian Matherly wrote
>>>
>>> Is there any appetite for doing 3.3.2? Given apparent shortage of
>>> resources,
>>> I would be inclined not to proceed with that.
>>>
>>> I would prefer if both are done.
>>

>> OK, fine, no problem. What relative timescale would you envisage
>> for the
>> two releases? Would they be more or less concurrent so that users had
>> the choice of upgrading to 3.4 or to 3.3.2? Or something else? Would
>> that be the last release in the 3.3 series?
>>
>>> We just need someone to pull this, so we can ask Stephane to
>>> release.
>>> I have an important solicitation coming up, which is why I missed
>>> the
>>> end of March to finish up.
>>>
>>> As the major change is your citation change, perhaps you can
>>> finilize
>>> 3.4? So finish roadmap (by eg moving to 3.4.1), some final testing,
>>> actually installing gramps with make install, and testing the
>>> installed version.
>>

>> I have cleaned up the roadmap for 3.4.0, just leaving:
>> - 0005595: [Interface] DBError when rebuilding reference maps while
>> Event view row is selected - new.
>> - 0002092: [General] Running 'Tools > Database Repair...' with no
>> database open - feedback.
>>
>> There is also
>> - 0005466: [File Formats] [XML]: need to check empty personref -
>> feedback.
>> which is now in 3.3.
>>

>> All three of these have had a lot of work done on them and have draft
>> changes and are irritating problems. If possible, I would like to get
>> all of these included in 3.4, but that depends on the copy
>> addressees.
>> Is there any possibility of a push on these changes please?
>>
>> Tim.
>>

>>> If this is ok, then you pass the baton to Stephane to decide on a
>>> time
>>> of release, which should be when you are actually available to help
>>> the days after release, should a follow up release be needed shortly
>>> after due to an unforeseen problem.

Re: prepare gramps 3.4

Michiel Nauta
Hi Tim (and the rest),

5595: Your solution to catch the error and ignore it because setting the
statusline is inessential is also fine with me. I implemented this in
revision 19270/1.

2092: I have nothing to add, I fully agree with what you write.

5466: You can find my patch in the bugtracker. I think we need more
support from other developers for such a large change. Brian, you have
looked at this issue before, could you spare the time?

Michiel