problems importing old database (2.x)

DrMartinus
Hi,

I don't know why I can't access the gramps-project.org website, it
says the server could not be found.
I need to import my old gramps database, but it tells me each time
that it can't open a file in the tmp-folder. The tmp-folder should be
writeable and readable (to me, at least), and there's certainly
enough space.
gramps version 3.0.1, Mandriva Powerpack 2009.0

any ideas, hints?

Thanks!

Martin
--
Dr. Martin Senftleben, Ph.D.
http://www.drmartinus.de

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

Peter Morgan
I am seeing the same problems
I detail the importing problem only as the server is out of my control.

I have a need to import and re-start some old work for my wife, Carol
who wants to add to it.
I am on a  64 bit FC10 system running  gramps 3.0.3-1.

The old data base is a 2.2.x . type
-rwxrwxrwx 1 peterm peterm  8175616 2008-03-05 08:24 gramps2_ncurrent.grdb
It is a directory on the /data1 partition which is wide open. The data
refers to a major disk upgrade.

I have installed the new 3.0.3 system okay and began by following the
http:www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?tile=Main_Page How do I ..
pages.
Specifically the page dealing with Upgrading from Gramps 2.2.X to 3.0.x

My problem is that I get a message /tmp/tmp6Djklpn could not be opened.
The tmp file name changes.
Here is what is in /tmp
drwx------ 2 peterm peterm    4096 2008-12-29 14:51 tmpzwQaPJ
-rw------- 1 peterm peterm 8175616 2008-12-29 14:51 tmp6DjkPn
drwx------ 2 peterm peterm    4096 2008-12-29 14:57 orbit-peterm-a86888f8

The file in question is clearly there but with a very restrictive
permission code. I suspect that it is the permissions that are screwed
up. /tmp is currently running with the following permissions.

drwxrwxrwx  38 root   root    4096 2008-12-29 15:13 tmp

regards peter

Martin Senftleben wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know why I can't access the gramps-project.org website, it
> says the server could not be found.
> I need to import my old gramps database, but it tells me each time
> that it can't open a file in the tmp-folder. The tmp-folder should be
> writeable and readable (to me, at least), and there's certainly
> enough space.
> gramps version 3.0.1, Mandriva Powerpack 2009.0
>
> any ideas, hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martin

*
*  Peter and Carol Morgan
*  20 Goodparla St
*  Hawker, ACT, 2614
*  Australia
*
* Home Phone      +61 (0)2 6254 0137
* Peter's Mobile  +61 (0)4 1854 0137
*
*
*

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

Robert Huff

Peter Morgan writes:

>  I have installed the new 3.0.3 system okay and began by following the
>  http:www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?tile=Main_Page How do I ..
>  pages.
>  Specifically the page dealing with Upgrading from Gramps 2.2.X to 3.0.x
>
>  My problem is that I get a message /tmp/tmp6Djklpn could not be opened.
>  The tmp file name changes.
>  Here is what is in /tmp
>  drwx------ 2 peterm peterm    4096 2008-12-29 14:51 tmpzwQaPJ
>  -rw------- 1 peterm peterm 8175616 2008-12-29 14:51 tmp6DjkPn
>  drwx------ 2 peterm peterm    4096 2008-12-29 14:57 orbit-peterm-a86888f8
>
>  The file in question is clearly there but with a very restrictive
>  permission code. I suspect that it is the permissions that are screwed
>  up. /tmp is currently running with the following permissions.
>
>  drwxrwxrwx  38 root   root    4096 2008-12-29 15:13 tmp

        The error message mentions "tmp6Djklpn"; is this possibly a
typo for "tmp6DjkPn"?

                                Robert Huff

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

velastin
Hi. I had the same problem today about going from version 2.2 to 3.x
Have a look at http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees
and look for "/tmp"
Apparently it is not enough to have just the database file but you need to have some other files under env/
I do not have these so I am losing hope .... I will try to find that version 2.2 (even installing an older distribution ...).
Will post something if I find a solution

Peter Morgan wrote

Martin Senftleben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why I can't access the gramps-project.org website, it
> says the server could not be found.
> I need to import my old gramps database, but it tells me each time
> that it can't open a file in the tmp-folder. The tmp-folder should be
> writeable and readable (to me, at least), and there's certainly
> enough space.
> gramps version 3.0.1, Mandriva Powerpack 2009.0
>
> any ideas, hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martin

*
*  Peter and Carol Morgan
*  20 Goodparla St
*  Hawker, ACT, 2614
*  Australia
*
* Home Phone      +61 (0)2 6254 0137
* Peter's Mobile  +61 (0)4 1854 0137
*
*
*

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

DrMartinus
Hi all,
after having tried to find some help on the website, I'm still unable
to solve the problem on my own. As it's not just me, it would be good
to know if others had no problem with migrating their data, and if
so, which version they did use. Maybe I get a hold of that version
and can check it out.

Besides: Peter Morgan reported to have the same problem, but there is
one difference: the tmp folder on my system is accessible whithout
root privileges. I don't understand why gramps always says it cannot
open the file that is posted by itself into that folder?
Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for any help.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Senftleben, Ph.D.
http://www.drmartinus.de
http://www.daskirchenjahr.de
E-Mail digital signiert mit Hilfe von GPG -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

Stéphane Charette-2
> after having tried to find some help on the website, I'm still unable
> to solve the problem on my own. As it's not just me, it would be good
> to know if others had no problem with migrating their data, and if
> so, which version they did use. Maybe I get a hold of that version
> and can check it out.

If you're not getting a response to this on the GRAMPS-USERS list, it
may be time to take it to the developers list instead.  Also, you
should know that a lot of the active developers are currently away due
to Christmas seasons.

Where I've personally seen this problem before is someone trying to
load a grdb database after they've blown away their .gramps folder, or
they copied the .grdb file to a new computer without realizing they
also need the database environment in .gramps.  This problem only
exists in GRAMPS 2.2.x and below.  The newer versions of GRAMPS 3.x
has changed how family trees are stored specifically to avoid this
problem.  (http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_grdb)

But if I remember correctly, you were trying to import an old GRAMPS
xml database, is that right?

Do you know what version of GRAMPS you used to create the xml?  And
what version you are trying to import into?

Lastly, if you're OK with sending me the .xml directly (not posted on
the list) and you are trying to import into 3.x when you get the
error, I'll see if I can fix the error for you.  I've got some time
today reserved to work on GRAMPS.

Stéphane

Re: problems importing old database (2.x)

Benny Malengier
Backlog of mails here.
It is a Stephane says, follow the guide to recover corrupted grdb.
The tmp not importing is not permission related but due to the database log files.
Send your file to a developer if you do not succeed.
Benny