question???

robhealey1
Greetings:

I am sorry for being gone all week long, but I was in the hospital!

I know that gep-026 is all about distutils2/ python3, but Should we kill gep-026 and go on with trunk instead?

There is so much being done with trunk over this last week that it would be way to hard to catch up with...  We can keep the main files from gep-026, so that we do NOT have to start over once again later...
a) setup.cfg
b) setup_custom.py

This way we can pick it up once again when GEPS 008-File-Organization is complete...?  It is NOT that I do or do not have the time or the energy to continue with it, but with all of the changes to trunk, there is no way to sync GEPS 026 with all of them now!

--
Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: question???

Nick Hall-6
Rob,

I hope you are feeling better now, after your stay in hospital.

Keep GEPS026 for now, but we may find it easier to copy files into trunk for testing.

At the moment we have code for distutils in trunk, and distutils2 in GEPS026.  In an earlier post Benny suggested a solution using setuptools:

"For now, I would go for one single install package, let's not make things more complicated. (example of installing in an existing package is eg here: https://github.com/bmcage/odes, where a new module is added to optionally existing code)"

Perhaps you could have a look at that?

I'll continue with GEPS008.  Hopefully I can get it finished fairly quickly.

On 26/05/12 05:48, Rob Healey wrote:
Greetings:

I am sorry for being gone all week long, but I was in the hospital!

I know that gep-026 is all about distutils2/ python3, but Should we kill gep-026 and go on with trunk instead?

There is so much being done with trunk over this last week that it would be way to hard to catch up with...  We can keep the main files from gep-026, so that we do NOT have to start over once again later...
a) setup.cfg
b) setup_custom.py

This way we can pick it up once again when GEPS 008-File-Organization is complete...?  It is NOT that I do or do not have the time or the energy to continue with it, but with all of the changes to trunk, there is no way to sync GEPS 026 with all of them now!

--
Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: question???

Benny Malengier
Yes, GEPS026 should be about testing what works, and what doesn't.
Once we decide what system to do, it can be done in trunk. This can be done by merging, or by the more simple copying of files.

The advantage of setup is that there is no need to change makefiles when files are moved, which Nick now has to do. For new directories, the setup.py files do need to be changed however, but that is not different from makefiles.

Benny