"Archiving" gramps

Doug-11
I've accumulated a number of gramps trees, several of which have
additional archived versions.
The Family Tree List and the GRAMPS directory where I've housed the gpkg
folders are getting very cluttered.

I'd like to do a bit of de-cluttering, shifting the gpkg folders not in
use to a backup folder and removing the currently unwanted gramps trees
from the Family Tree List.

However, if I remember rightly, just removing trees from the List will
mean permanently losing all the information about the archived trees.

Is there some way of avoiding this so that I can retrieve them again if
needed, maybe by copying certain files from the .gramps directory under
other names?
If the need came to retrieve the old List it would be just a question of
re-naming the saved copies. Is that feasible?

Doug

Re: "Archiving" gramps

Eckhard Genßmann
Doug,

the way I would handle that: create export XML-exports (including your
media) from the trees that you don't need currently.
Store and archive the file wherever feasible for you and remove the tree
from your list.
Once you need the data again, just open a new tree within GRAMPS and
import the data from that export-file.

Hope that answers your question.
Eckhard

Doug schrieb:

> I've accumulated a number of gramps trees, several of which have
> additional archived versions.
> The Family Tree List and the GRAMPS directory where I've housed the gpkg
> folders are getting very cluttered.
>
> I'd like to do a bit of de-cluttering, shifting the gpkg folders not in
> use to a backup folder and removing the currently unwanted gramps trees
> from the Family Tree List.
>
> However, if I remember rightly, just removing trees from the List will
> mean permanently losing all the information about the archived trees.
>
> Is there some way of avoiding this so that I can retrieve them again if
> needed, maybe by copying certain files from the .gramps directory under
> other names?
> If the need came to retrieve the old List it would be just a question of
> re-naming the saved copies. Is that feasible?
>
> Doug

Re: "Archiving" gramps

Benny Malengier

2009/1/11 Eckhard Genßmann <[hidden email]>
Doug,

the way I would handle that: create export XML-exports (including your
media) from the trees that you don't need currently.
Store and archive the file wherever feasible for you and remove the tree
from your list.
Once you need the data again, just open a new tree within GRAMPS and
import the data from that export-file.

Yes, use the export to .gramps xml to backup them, giving good names, then remove the correct family trees. An xml file will be a couple of kilobytes, whereas a database can be really, really, huge.

Re: "Archiving" gramps

Doug-11
Sorry, I forgot to Reply All so this didn't make it to the user list

Doug