"Associations"

Peter Landgren
Hi,

In my translation I have a problem with the tab "Associations" in the Edit
Person View. There are to many different words in Swedish and most of the
could be used. What type of data do people put under this tab?

Regards,

Peter Landgren

Re: "Associations"

Duncan Lithgow-2

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:18 +0100, Peter Landgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my translation I have a problem with the tab "Associations" in the Edit
> Person View. There are to many different words in Swedish and most of the
> could be used. What type of data do people put under this tab?
I use it for any type of connection between the person I'm working on
and someone else. So I use it for 'acquaintance' which would be the
Danish (and Swedish?) 'bekendtskab'.

Duncan

Re: "Associations"

Peter Landgren
Den Tuesday 20 November 2007 22.17.21 skrev Duncan Lithgow:

> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:18 +0100, Peter Landgren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In my translation I have a problem with the tab "Associations" in the
> > Edit Person View. There are to many different words in Swedish and most
> > of the could be used. What type of data do people put under this tab?
>
> I use it for any type of connection between the person I'm working on
> and someone else. So I use it for 'acquaintance' which would be the
> Danish (and Swedish?) 'bekendtskab'.

Well it's "bakantskap" in Swedish.

Could "acquaintance" be used in stead?

/Peter

Re: "Associations"

Benny Malengier
Peter,
this tab if for all relationships to the person which do not fit into the family or shared event structure. Hence, all associations between persons and the active person can be stored there.

Acquaintance is a specific type of association with a specific meaning. As far as GRAMPS is concerned, people in the association can be godparents, arch-enemies, best friends, 6th grade math teacher, musician the person has obtained a valuable autograph from, ....
Some people would make events for some of these, but many people want the ease of using of the association tab for that.

Benny

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:12 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> Acquaintance is a specific type of association with a specific
> meaning. As far as GRAMPS is concerned, people in the association can
> be godparents, arch-enemies, best friends, 6th grade math teacher,
> musician the person has obtained a valuable autograph from, ....
> Some people would make events for some of these, but many people want
> the ease of using of the association tab for that.
Benny is quite right, the example was my attempt at finding a danish
equivalent which I hoped would map to a swedish word. An acquaintance is
the most general form of two people who know each other without showing
a negative relationship or a specifically positive relationship.

I hope it's helped a bit in finding a useful word.

Duncan

Re: "Associations"

Michelle Engel

I never used this before, but I think it's great. But I have two questions:

First something technical:

- would it be possible to store the reverse association too? There could
be a question or a pop-up "Do you want to make the reverse association?"
(well, in better english then). For example, if I have the association
in the data of the godfather I want the association too in the data of
the godchild.

Something logical:

- Assume I have Anna who is the godmother of Berta. What kind of role do
I choose, when storing the association with Berta in Annas data?
Godmother or godchild?

Is there any report that prints the associations?

Is it still possible to put some work in reports for version 3.0 or is
it too late?

Michelle

Benny Malengier schrieb:

> Peter,
> this tab if for all relationships to the person which do not fit into
> the family or shared event structure. Hence, all associations between
> persons and the active person can be stored there.
>
> Acquaintance is a specific type of association with a specific meaning.
> As far as GRAMPS is concerned, people in the association can be
> godparents, arch-enemies, best friends, 6th grade math teacher, musician
> the person has obtained a valuable autograph from, ....
> Some people would make events for some of these, but many people want
> the ease of using of the association tab for that.

Re: "Associations"

Benny Malengier

2007/11/24, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I never used this before, but I think it's great. But I have two questions:

First something technical:

- would it be possible to store the reverse association too? There could
be a question or a pop-up "Do you want to make the reverse association?"
(well, in better english then). For example, if I have the association
in the data of the godfather I want the association too in the data of
the godchild.

Not a bad suggestion. Please do a feature request on the bug tracker.
Now you see the inverse link via the backreferences button or the person you added as association. So the inverse link is visible, but it is not transparent.
Problem with inverse link is probably that the relationship must be inversed too.

Something logical:

- Assume I have Anna who is the godmother of Berta. What kind of role do
I choose, when storing the association with Berta in Annas data?
Godmother or godchild?

yes, I would assume inverse relation. So godchild. Note that for godparents I prefer to add that as role in the birth event of the person.

Perhaps a better idea is to provide more info in the backreferences screen so you see how a person appears on someone else's data.

Is there any report that prints the associations?

I don't know. If not, again do a feature request. I would hope detailed individual report to print it

Is it still possible to put some work in reports for version 3.0 or is
it too late?

It's never too late if you want to help. If you can't code, you can do feature requests with some design. You then need to hope some developer likes the request and has nothing with more priority to do.