"Family Descendant Tree" report

Peter Flynn
The Family Descendant Tree report appears to be the closest thing to
what the amateur generally understands by "family tree", with a root
person at the top, and *everyone* else spread out below.

Clearly, for reasons of making it fit, the current report works at 90°,
with the root person at top left. It's beautifully and accurately done,
and in the past I have printed it all out and stuck the sheets together,
and everyone has admired it — but it's still sideways to non-users'
expectations, and it doesn't appear to be available as a single-page PDF
or EPS, which would allow the *user* to decide how to repage it for
printing.

Are there any standalone formatting programs which will produce a
similar chart but with the root person in the middle at the top, and all
descendants *and* multiple partners *and* all their descendants, in the
way that a genealogical artist would draw it? It would, of course, need
to be output in a vector format that is extensible in all directions and
not tied to a paper size (eg SVG, PGF/TikZ, PyX, or something standard),
so that it could be printed on anything from a barely-readable A4 page
right up to a very-wide-format printer/plotter.

I realise that the arrangement of the component boxes rapidly becomes
very difficult when done by hand, but there must surely be an algorithm
to handle this. Or perhaps it's simply too hard...

Peter

Re: "Family Descendant Tree" report

prculley
I personally like the Relationship Graph.  It can be oriented in any direction.  It can print to a multiple page pdf set up so that a person with tape/scissors can reassemble it into a large graph, or can print to a single page (pick a large one if you have lots of people, up to a max of just under 200"x200").

It does put everybody onto the graph that is not filtered out, so you have to make a filter that includes only the people you want.  That is not too difficult for simple descendant graphs.

Paul C.

On 26/11/2018 23:51, Paul Culley wrote:
> I personally like the Relationship Graph.  It can be oriented in any
> direction.  It can print to a multiple page pdf set up so that a person
> with tape/scissors can reassemble it into a large graph, or can print to
> a single page (pick a large one if you have lots of people, up to a max
> of just under 200"x200").
>
> It does put everybody onto the graph that is not filtered out, so you
> have to make a filter that includes only the people you want.  That is
> not too difficult for simple descendant graphs.

Thank you, it sounds good, but I couldn't get it to do anything. It
popped up a box called "Filter" in which there was a slider to about 65%
and the word "Applying" but it stopped there and hung. I assumed that
there was a bug somewhere.

Re: "Family Descendant Tree" report

Peter Flynn
On 27/11/2018 08:39, Peter Flynn wrote:
[Relationship Graph]
> Thank you, it sounds good, but I couldn't get it to do anything. It
> popped up a box called "Filter" in which there was a slider to about 65%
> and the word "Applying" but it stopped there and hung. I assumed that
> there was a bug somewhere.

I tried several times, starting with A0 paper and limiting the scope.
Eventually it worked when filtered just to me and my immediate family.
I have submitted a bug report because it probably shouldn't just hang.

It produced a spider-like graph in which its unclear what the
relationship between the people is — that is, it's not obvious that our
kids are descendants in our family...they're just floating there
independently on the end of a line each. I'll try to get it to show more
people. It certainly looks useful but I don't think it's a substitute
for a normal family tree, and having to select a paper size is a
restriction.

Any way to avoid showing the only image in a person's gallery in the person editor

Oldest1

For a good number of the people on my database, I have only a shared image in the person's gallery.

Often enough, it is an obit where numerous relatives of various degrees are listed and I have shared the image with all the relevant people in the DB.

This results in a bit of an unexpected display when the obit shows up as THE image in the person's edit page as well as in the family tree under charts.

Presumably, I could remove the sharing of the image, but I'd rather not because it represents one link between those people, which I'd rather keep.

I suppose I could create a dummy avatar as the default image.

Is there a better alternative? or am I missing something 'obvious'? :-)

Re: Any way to avoid showing the only image in a person's gallery in the person editor

Dave Scheipers
If you do not want the image to display for each person it is attached
to in a report, you could make each image Private except for the
person whose obituary it is. This does nothing for what you see for
each person's edit window. But if you take the time to link each of
these people with the image, don't you want to know they are linked to
the obituary?

The alternative is to put the image in the main person's death or
burial event record and share the event with all concerned with
appropriate role information. You can mark shared events as private.
The Private lock in the shared information locks the event for
everyone. The lock at the far right of the Role marks the record
private for that person. Create a custom event "Obituary" for this
purpose?

HTH, Dave

On 27/11/2018 14:57, Paul Culley wrote:
> I've attached an example relationship graph generated off of the Gramps
> example database.  I used the 'Descendant Families' standard filter (you
> can also create a custom filter).

Thank you so much. This is very useful. I've never seen a chart which
uses nodes between parents and children in that way: it takes space but
it makes things clearer.

> I ran it a couple of times using 'custom' paper sizes until it looked
> about right.  Note that if you pick too small a paper size, the graph
> can fail to draw correctly, the lines in particular can disappear as
> the algorithm shrinks everything to try to make it fit.

Yes, I'd expect that; but when I picked a smaller paper size, that's
when it hung —  but given the loop, that obviously wasn't the problem.

> If you are seeing hangs in the report generation, you may have a 'loop'
> in your data.

That turned out to be the case: a father also pegged as son to his own
son. Thanks for the loop hint; I wouldn't have though of looking for that.

> You've never mentioned what version of Gramps you are using.

5.0.0, fortunately. I'm going to be using the XML export to get data out
for post-processing if I can find a program that can produce the
classical family tree. There is a beautiful package for LaTeX, but it
can't handle multiple families well.

///Peter

On 2018-11-27 2:12 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
If you do not want the image to display for each person it is attached
to in a report, you could make each image Private except for the
person whose obituary it is. This does nothing for what you see for
each person's edit window. But if you take the time to link each of
these people with the image, don't you want to know they are linked to
the obituary?

Yes I do want them linked, which is why I did not want to remove the share.

I have not used the 'private' flag at all up to now, but I will try to understand just what it does and how it affects the display of the data.

[...]

Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.8
Vista & Win 7, 8 & 10 compatible
http://www.columbinehoney.net/wxSR.shtml

Re: Any way to avoid showing the only image in a person's gallery in the person editor

Philip Weiss
I'd highly recommend attaching the obituary to a citation rather than directly to a person or event. Then share the citation to all the things. The citation provides the link between the various objects. Then if the media item is something you want displayed in the gallery for specific people/events, share it to those specific people/events.

Phil.

Re: Any way to avoid showing the only image in a person's gallery in the person editor

Simon C. Tremblay
Phil. beat me to it.  I was going to say the same thing, add the image to a citation and share this with everyone mentioned.

Here's what I did for an obit for Philomène Tremblay that I found here, second column from left:

The Obituary gives details about her death, burial, when she moved to Ottawa and a list of all her living siblings and where they lived at the time of her death.
So here's what I did:
1 - created a Repository for the NYS Historic Newspapers, with link to it's home page
2 - created a source for The Tupper Lake Herald
3 - created a citation to Volume XIV, number 25, page 2
3a - attached the media file to the citation
3b - added the persistent link displayed under the page as an URL attribute of the citation
4 - linked the citation to Philomène's Death, Burial and Marriage record
5 - linked the citation to Residence events for all the other relatives, with the date of the publication and the location mentioned in the obit.

Hope this walk through is helpful,

Regards

Simon

On 27/11/2018 23:32, Sam Manzi wrote:
> Do you mean "genealogytree – Pedigree and genealogical tree diagrams" by
> Dr. Dr. Thomas F. Sturm?

I do indeed, and I have had a good correspondence with him.

> If so are you aware that Gramps 5 has a addon called "GenealogyTree"
> that outputs to that package, mind you it has a few issues as it is a
> fairly new addon.

Thank you very much...I had missed that.

///Peter

Re: Any way to avoid showing the only image in a person's gallery in the person editor

Oldest1

Although I did not yet have a chance to actually follow it - too may things to chase at the moment - it certainly is helpful and I will try it within the day. Thank you.