Quantcast

"We can always use more developers"

Terrel Shumway
I have been hacking with Python for quite a while (since 1.5.2) and really love it.

A long time ago, I fiddled with PAF and decided that while it was great for what it was, it would certainly not cut it for serious research, mainly because it lacked the ability to attach multiple sources and confidence levels to each piece of data. I decided that I would write my own program someday. Two days ago I installed Gramps and realized that I didn't have to write my own program after all. yeah!  I was even more pleased that it was written in Python. double-yeah!

I checked out the trunk and ran it, but I haven't looked much at the code yet.

Things that make me itch:
   Gramps could be more keyboard-friendly.
   The unit tests seem pretty skimpy
   I would like to be able to paste a familysearch.org API link and have it create a source, and import a reasonable amount of data based on that source.

I can probably put in about 5-10 hours/week for now.  Are there any bite-sized pieces you would like me to start on?

-- Terrel

Re: "We can always use more developers"

robhealey1
Dear Terrel:

As you read and stated back, there is always more room for developers!  I am glad to hear that you are ready and willing to help where needed...

Here is a little bit of documentation on your topic, and it would be great to read first...

I would say that the best way to get started:
1) create an account on the bug tracker, here at http://bugs.gramps-project.org
2) Select Gramps-3.3.x from the Project drop- down at the top right corner of the screen...

3) Read what is available as in ways of bugs, and pick something that interests you...
4) dive in and fix it, once you have a good working example, create a patch file, and attach it to the bug report that you selected to possibly fix...
5) if no one responds to you within a reasonable amount of time, post a reminder with the bug # to this list...

Always remember, that there is a great group of developers in Gramps, and don't be afraid to ask questions on this list!

Hope that this helps...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Terrel Shumway <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: "We can always use more developers"

Michiel Nauta
Hi Terrel,

Welcome to the team. I can only speak for myself, but the path I walked
worked well for me. I started out by writing my own third party plugin.
The advantage is that you don't step on anybodies toes and the reward is
quick and wholly yours, you don't have to share the credit (if there is
any).

I have reported quite a few bugs, typically just after a new release,
and tried to supply patches for them, and now I contribute regularly.
Especially in the beginning, it was important to me to work on things I
personally profited from to keep motivated. I care less about that now.

So I suggest you get familiar with the program and check out the third
party plugins. You might have a certain report in your head that you
would like to see, perhaps by starting from scratch, perhaps by
modifying an existing report. You could also look on the bug tracker, it
is full of bugs and feature requests. Perhaps bug 5064 on the Detailed
Ancestor Report is an easy way to start. Or bug 3974 on the use of
regular expression in filters. If your into testing, bug 4965 on the
Find Duplicate People is interesting, but might be a bit big to start with.

Michiel

On 08/22/2011 09:06 PM, Terrel Shumway wrote:

> I have been hacking with Python for quite a while (since 1.5.2) and really
> love it.
>
> A long time ago, I fiddled with PAF and decided that while it was great for
> what it was, it would certainly not cut it for serious research, mainly
> because it lacked the ability to attach multiple sources and confidence
> levels to each piece of data. I decided that I would write my own program
> someday. Two days ago I installed Gramps and realized that I didn't have to
> write my own program after all. yeah!  I was even more pleased that it was
> written in Python. double-yeah!
>
> I checked out the trunk and ran it, but I haven't looked much at the code
> yet.
>
> Things that make me itch:
>     Gramps could be more keyboard-friendly.
>     The unit tests seem pretty skimpy
>     I would like to be able to paste a familysearch.org API link and have it
> create a source, and import a reasonable amount of data based on that
> source.
>
> I can probably put in about 5-10 hours/week for now.  Are there any
> bite-sized pieces you would like me to start on?
>
> -- Terrel

> uberSVN's rich system and user administration capabilities and model
> configuration take the hassle out of deploying and managing Subversion and
> the tools developers use with it. Learn more about uberSVN and get a free
> download at:  http://p.sf.net/sfu/wandisco-dev2dev

Re: "We can always use more developers"

DS Blank
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Terrel Shumway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been hacking with Python for quite a while (since 1.5.2) and really
> love it.
>
> A long time ago, I fiddled with PAF and decided that while it was great for
> what it was, it would certainly not cut it for serious research, mainly
> because it lacked the ability to attach multiple sources and confidence
> levels to each piece of data. I decided that I would write my own program
> someday. Two days ago I installed Gramps and realized that I didn't have to
> write my own program after all. yeah!  I was even more pleased that it was
> written in Python. double-yeah!
>
> I checked out the trunk and ran it, but I haven't looked much at the code
> yet.
>
> Things that make me itch:
>    Gramps could be more keyboard-friendly.
>    The unit tests seem pretty skimpy
>    I would like to be able to paste a familysearch.org API link and have it
> create a source, and import a reasonable amount of data based on that
> source.

Welcome! Those are all great things to work on, and I'm sure you'd get
support for them.

Speaking of Family Search; there is a team that would like to work on
a full FS integration with Gramps through a third-party addon. Is
there anyone that would have time to discuss the project with these
folks? I was hoping to, but I have been really busy lately, and don't
see a light at the end of the tunnel.

-Doug

> I can probably put in about 5-10 hours/week for now.  Are there any
> bite-sized pieces you would like me to start on?
>
> -- Terrel

Re: "We can always use more developers"

robhealey1
Greetings:

I would love to see the FamilySearch complete integration third- party plugin...  I would believe that it should become part of Gramps core...

Just my 0.02 cents worth...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

2011/8/22 Terrel Shumway <[hidden email]>
I have been hacking with Python for quite a while (since 1.5.2) and really love it.

A long time ago, I fiddled with PAF and decided that while it was great for what it was, it would certainly not cut it for serious research, mainly because it lacked the ability to attach multiple sources and confidence levels to each piece of data. I decided that I would write my own program someday. Two days ago I installed Gramps and realized that I didn't have to write my own program after all. yeah!  I was even more pleased that it was written in Python. double-yeah!

I checked out the trunk and ran it, but I haven't looked much at the code yet.

Things that make me itch:
   Gramps could be more keyboard-friendly.

It's not that bad. Patches for keyboard improvements are normally quickly approved.

   The unit tests seem pretty skimpy

Yes, somebody started it and it got at the sidetrack. We hardly have time to develop, so unit tests is not something that is in the DNA of our community. Personally I believe that for GUI it is too much work to maintain for a small devel community.
For the library stuff, I would love to see something easy. I however never run unit tests, never heard how to actually run those that are present. The only thing I do for certain parts is add tests at the bottom of the python file that run when the script is executed stand alone (see eg PlaceUtils.py).
During my time at Gramps only those tests have actually catched anything, I never heard of the existing unit tests actually catching any bugs.
Don't understand me wrong, I take testing of my own code very seriously, but I didn't yet see anybody proposing a unit test system for the Gramps codebase that is sufficiently developer friendly so that anybody actually runs them.

   I would like to be able to paste a familysearch.org API link and have it create a source, and import a reasonable amount of data based on that source.

that would be a 3rth party plugin to start with.

I can probably put in about 5-10 hours/week for now.  Are there any bite-sized pieces you would like me to start on?

Some database change ? ;-D
As Rob said, go over the bug list at first, it is a good start. Otherwise, any changes in the interface that make it less cluttered and more natural, are always welcome.

Benny

-- Terrel