"list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

"list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
I know that to use gramps to its fullest potential I need to use filters.  And part of this feature is using "regular expressions".  I've been reading about regular expressions, and have experimented with them in the sidebar filters. (BTW, I could not find anything in the gramps wiki about using regexp in the sidebar filters.)  Some of my created regexps have worked -- most have not.  At this point I'm feeling a bit frustrated... as if I should get a degree in programming to fully understand how to use the "regular expressions" in gramps.

But, I can see that "regular expressions" could be very useful...   For instance, here's one that I regularly use:

In the "People View" -> in the Name field:  name1|name2|name3
I also like, "People View" -> in the Name field: Ja(c|k)ob

Theoretically there must be hundreds of other good examples...  like:
  Find the families that have at least 3 children, with three of them named Peter, Paul and Mary?
  One that should be easy, but I haven't figured out is: find people with birthdates in the year 1840 and 1740 (I thought you should be able to use the Birth Date field in the People View to do this)

I would really appreciate it if others would share some of their most used "regular expressions", that they use in the sidebar filter...

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

lynches155
On 11/06/2014 01:34, TJMcK wrote:
> /I would really appreciate it if others would share some of their most used
> "regular expressions", that they use in the sidebar filter.../

I use ^abc to find names starting with the given string, and xyz$ to
find names ending with the given string.

Mary

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Douglas Bainbridge
On 11/06/14 01:34, TJMcK wrote:

> I know that to use gramps to its fullest potential I need to use filters.
> And part of this feature is using "regular expressions".  I've been reading
> about regular expressions, and have experimented with them in the sidebar
> filters. (BTW, I could not find anything in the gramps wiki about using
> regexp in the sidebar filters.)  Some of my created regexps have worked --
> most have not.  At this point I'm feeling a bit frustrated... as if I should
> get a degree in programming to fully understand how to use the "regular
> expressions" in gramps.
>
> But, I can see that "regular expressions" could be very useful...   For
> instance, here's one that I regularly use:
>
> In the "People View" -> in the Name field:  name1|name2|name3
> I also like, "People View" -> in the Name field: Ja(c|k)ob
>
> Theoretically there must be hundreds of other good examples...  like:
>    Find the families that have at least 3 children, with three of them named
> Peter, Paul and Mary?
>    One that should be easy, but I haven't figured out is: find people with
> birthdates in the year 1840 and 1740 (I thought you should be able to use
> the Birth Date field in the People View to do this)
>
> /I would really appreciate it if others would share some of their most used
> "regular expressions", that they use in the sidebar filter.../

As a general comment, dates are a bit of a nuisance,
filterwise. They're formatted and don't allow regular
expressions, with the marked disadvantage that you can't
search for missing date fields, for example.

However in relation to your problem, is it that you want to
find people with the exact birthdate 1843, say?
If so, Edit=>Preferences=>Dates and set the 'Date about
range:' to 0 (temporarily).
Then setting the Birth Date field in People View sidebar
Filter to 1843 should show only people with '1843' and
'about 1843' entries for their birthdates.
(Change the Date about range back afterwards).

Doug

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

paul womack
TJMcK wrote:
> I know that to use gramps to its fullest potential I need to use filters.
> And part of this feature is using "regular expressions".  I've been reading
> about regular expressions, and have experimented with them in the sidebar
> filters. (BTW, I could not find anything in the gramps wiki about using
> regexp in the sidebar filters.)  Some of my created regexps have worked --
> most have not.  At this point I'm feeling a bit frustrated... as if I should
> get a degree in programming to fully understand how to use the "regular
> expressions" in gramps.

I was "just" going to post one of the many
good tutorials on RE from the web. But there really
aren't that many that I'd dare show to a non programmer.

This is the best I've found, and it's not as good as I'd hoped.

http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/regex.html

  BugBear

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
lynches155 wrote
I use ^abc to find names starting with the given string, and xyz$ to
find names ending with the given string.
So, if I'm correct, a regex like:
  (^sus)|(anna)
would pick up names such as: Anna, Susanna, Susannah, Susan, Susie

Very useful.  Thanks Mary.

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
paul womack wrote
I was "just" going to post one of the many
good tutorials on RE from the web. But there really
aren't that many that I'd dare show to a non programmer.

This is the best I've found, and it's not as good as I'd hoped.

http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/regex.html
--------------------------
That is a good one... I looked at dozens of sites and all are a little overwhelming.  Many of the tips on this site would be useful if they were on the gramps wiki page. (hint, hint -- to whoever does these wiki changes).  Or even the link would be useful.

While I talk about using filters for "non-programmers" like me...  I have a question.  Have the gramps developers ever considered developing a "wizard" for creating and testing regexp?  I've seen a few apps, like Kodos and Visual Exp (for linux), but they were mostly too complex.   Among Windows software, I found "RegexBuddy" (didn't test it). From what I read, it has many great features,  a few of which seem to be more to my programming abilities.

I'm just thinking that there must me more users (or potential users) that would find a wizard very appealing...  making gramps more accessible to the general public... but for now, I'm glad that some of you readers have contributed your most used regular expressions.  More please!
NdK

Il 11/06/2014 22:50, TJMcK ha scritto:

> So, if I'm correct, a regex like:
>   (^sus)|(anna)
> would pick up names such as: Anna, Susanna, Susannah, Susan, Susie
That would also pick Marianna and Cannabis ( :) ), that might not be
what you want...

> Very useful.  Thanks Mary.
Writing regular expressions is nearly an art :)

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Gerhard Killesreiter

On 12/06/14 14:26, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Am 12.06.2014 06:38, schrieb NdK:
>> Il 11/06/2014 22:50, TJMcK ha scritto:
>>
>>> So, if I'm correct, a regex like: (^sus)|(anna) would pick up
>>> names such as: Anna, Susanna, Susannah, Susan, Susie
>> That would also pick Marianna and Cannabis ( :) ), that might not
>> be what you want...
>>
> While we are at the subject: How do I match for all people named
> "Georg Mayr" where "Georg" is the given name and "Mayr" the family name?
> Cheers,
> Gerhard

In Person Filter Editor, People with the <name>  Given name:
= Georg; Family name:=  Mayr

Doug

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
Douglas Bainbridge wrote

= Georg; Family name:=  Mayr
Make note, this is a filter for the "filter editor" not the "sidebar filter" (although you use the sidebar filter to run the saved filter that you create in the filter editor).  I don't think the above filter can be created in the sidebar filter alone.

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
paul womack wrote
...there really aren't that many that I'd dare show to a non programmer.

This is the best I've found, and it's not as good as I'd hoped.

http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/regex.html
I tried a number of ideas that I got from the above website.

It appears that you can't use regexp in any of the sidebar date fields, which is disappointing.  I would think that codes like the following would be useful:
184(6|8|9)  OR
1829|1849  OR
\d\d\d\d OR
others that would extract all dates with about, before, after, between, etc...

BTW, there's a very small bug... when you run a "not-allowed" regexp (at least in the date fields of the sidebar), the field area turns red, but it stays red (even after resetting) and will only go back to normal color when gramps is restarted.

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Martin Steer-2
On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 12:58:26PM -0700, TJMcK wrote:

>184(6|8|9)  OR
>1829|1849  OR
>\d\d\d\d OR

Shorter forms:

184[689]
18[24]9
\d{4}

If you're on a unix-like os, the man page for grep provides a succinct
overview of regular expressions, as does the regex man page (for me 'man
7 regex').

M.

On 16/06/14 17:59, Martin Steer wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 12:58:26PM -0700, TJMcK wrote:
>
>> 184(6|8|9)  OR
>> 1829|1849  OR
>> \d\d\d\d OR
> Shorter forms:
>
> 184[689]
> 18[24]9
> \d{4}
>
> If you're on a unix-like os, the man page for grep provides a succinct
> overview of regular expressions, as does the regex man page (for me 'man
> 7 regex').
>
> M.

Interesting examples, but note: of no practical use because,
alas, regex don't work with dates!
Doug

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

TJMcK
Martin Steer-2 wrote
If you're on a unix-like os, the man page for grep provides a succinct
overview of regular expressions, as does the regex man page (for me 'man
7 regex').
Succint?  Unfortunately there's way too much info for me... and how much of the man page is applicable to gramps sidebar filters (or the filter editor, for that matter)  -- maybe 10%?  Let me know if I'm wrong...  give me a complex regexp that I can apply in the filter sidebar that uses many of the options in the grep man page.

Again... I would really like to see concrete examples (in the gramps wiki help) of how to use regular expressions in the sidebar.  So far, the few examples that have been given in this thread could be put in a pop-up help when hovering the "regular expression" box...  At this point my conclusion of this feature is: that it's a very simplistic and limited version of all that's possible with regular expressions.

With that said, the few regexp options that I've discovered have been very useful...

On 19/06/14 22:23, TJMcK wrote:

> Martin Steer-2 wrote
>> If you're on a unix-like os, the man page for grep provides a succinct
>> overview of regular expressions, as does the regex man page (for me 'man
>> 7 regex').
> Succint?  Unfortunately there's way too much info for me... and how much of
> the man page is applicable to gramps sidebar filters (or the filter editor,
> for that matter)  -- maybe 10%?  Let me know if I'm wrong...  give me a
> complex regexp that I can apply in the filter sidebar that uses many of the
> options in the grep man page.
>
> Again... I would really like to see concrete examples (in the gramps wiki
> help) of how to use regular expressions in the sidebar.  So far, the few
> examples that have been given in this thread could be put in a pop-up help
> when hovering the "regular expression" box...  At this point my conclusion
> of this feature is: that it's a very simplistic and limited version of all
> that's possible with regular expressions.
>
> With that said, the few regexp options that I've discovered have been very
> useful...

Have you looked at the gramps 3.4 Wiki Manual - Filters:
section 2: Regular expressions?
Although not comprehensive, there's enough there to get you
well on your way.
The concrete examples given there include some quite complex
regexes taken from expressions used by the filter editor or
sidebar in actual gramps databases.
(However don't expect every regex feature to work in gramps;
some don't).

Doug

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Nick Hall
On 19/06/14 22:52, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> (However don't expect every regex feature to work in gramps;
> some don't).

Internally Gramps uses the python re module.  So you could look at the
python documentation:

https://docs.python.org/2/howto/regex.html
https://docs.python.org/2/library/re.html

Regular expressions are compiled using the IGNORE, UNICODE and LOCALE
flags.  Patterns are matched using the search method.

We only allow regular expression matching on text fields.  Date objects
use their own matching algorithms.

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:18:22 +0100
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Nick,

>We only allow regular expression matching on text fields.  Date objects
>use their own matching algorithms.

Speaking of which;  Is it possible to date match on date & month only?
For example, if I want to search for events that occurred on 4th July,
irrespective of year.

--
 Regards  _
It belongs to them, let's give it back

Re: "list of regular expressions" that you use in the sidebar filter

DS Blank
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:18:22 +0100
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Nick,

>We only allow regular expression matching on text fields.  Date objects
>use their own matching algorithms.

Speaking of which;  Is it possible to date match on date & month only?
For example, if I want to search for events that occurred on 4th July,
irrespective of year.

No, there isn't currently a way to do that through the filter gramplets. But, you can bring up a Calendar Gramplet and double-click July 4th of any year, and see all of the events on that day.

Hope that helps,

-Doug