[re: Web Page Generator]

Audrey Helou
Roy Cheeseman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really liked the ability, in the old format to have the
> pedigree chart for a few generations at the bottom.  Is there
> an easy way for me to modify the generator to include this in
> the new narrative format?

Was this question answered?  If so, I didn't see the post.  Like
Roy, I've been hoping for a way to do this.

And, on an unrelated topic, what do people ses Attributes for?
So far, the only thing I've managed to come up with are
"Social Security Number" and "Drivers License," as each of these
are unique to an individual.

That uniqueness seems important, as attributes don't seem to link
together the way Events do.  Last night I created an new attribute
called "Hobbies," as I thought storing hobbies under Events the way
I had been doing was kinda dumb.  But today, when I reviewed the
resulting HTML, I discovered that Attributes are not linked together.
(In other words, when I had hobbies under Events, one of the web
pages generated by GRAMPS was one that listed (and linked to)
each person who was listed as having Computers as a hobby.  This was
no longer true when I switched Hobbies from being under Events to
being under Attributes.)

Should GRAMPS create web pages for everyone who shares a particular
attribute?  If it should, will that ability exist in a future version
of the software?  Or should I go back to listing Hobbies under Events?

It also occurred to met that one thing that would be fun would be to
make a notation for each family member who likes anchovies on their
pizza.  Then, when there's a family party, it would be easy enough
to do a report.  I've noticed that people who like anchovy pizza
rarely get to order any as even when they're in a crowd of fellow
anchovy fans, they're so used to not be allowed to order any that
they never think of suggesting anchoives as an item.

      Audrey

Re: [re: Web Page Generator]

Brian Matherly-2

> And, on an unrelated topic, what do people ses Attributes for?
> So far, the only thing I've managed to come up with are
> "Social Security Number" and "Drivers License," as each of these
> are unique to an individual.

How about Eye Color, birth weight, and Height?

~Brian

Re: [re: Web Page Generator]

Don Allingham
On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 16:41 -0400, Audrey Helou wrote:
> Roy Cheeseman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I really liked the ability, in the old format to have the
> > pedigree chart for a few generations at the bottom.  Is there
> > an easy way for me to modify the generator to include this in
> > the new narrative format?
>
> Was this question answered?  If so, I didn't see the post.  Like
> Roy, I've been hoping for a way to do this.

This is something we may try to look into. The biggest problem we have
right now is resources. We have a lot of things that need to be done,
and very few people to work on them. This means we have to prioritize
each and everything we do.

Obviously, with more help, we can do more. Unfortunately, as our user
base has grown and demands for support have grown, the team actually
doing the coding and debugging has remained the same.

Don

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: [re: Web Page Generator]

Stefan Björk
Audrey,

> And, on an unrelated topic, what do people ses Attributes for?
> So far, the only thing I've managed to come up with are
> "Social Security Number" and "Drivers License," as each of these
> are unique to an individual.

They are also something that is static and never changes throughout the
lifetime of the individual. Hobbies can change. Although unlikely, I can
imagine some situations where you would like to add a date span to a
persons hobby.

Stefan