recover files after PC format

Dionysis Boukouvalas
My pc had a heart attack and I had to do a format and reinstall Windows.
Thankfully, the system gave me the option to keep my old files while formating the hard drive. There is a folder in drive C called windows.old.
Question is, what file am I looking for? I.e. in order to reload my family tree. And how do I import it to gramps?
Thank you!
Dionysis.

Sign-up to my newsletter to receive videos and sound clips of my music, learn about upcoming events, releases etc:

Re: recover files after PC format

Dave Scheipers
You are looking for your files. Your database files and your media files.

The default directory for your database files is
c:\users\%you%\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb The same structure
should be in the windows.old directory

In this folder will be a folder(s) with a generic name of letters and
numbers. Copy this folder to the new location. Hopefully it is not
corrupted. There are other files to be found under the gramps folder..
Your new install of Gramps will recreate all these files. One
particular one under gramps\gramps## (your gramps version) will be
custom_filters.xml. This contains any custom filters you use and is
worth salvaging if you can.

Your media files are in the folder you designated in Preferences.

This scenario is why it is so important to create backups and then
move the backup OFF the hard drive to a safe device. I move the
automatic backups created by Gramps5.0 (and later) daily to a thumb
drive. I do a raw backup of my media files to an external drive once a
week.

If you were using Gramps 5.0, you may have a folder full of backups
created each time you closed Gramps after making changes. The folder
is set in Preferences. This information is stored in
gramps\gramps##\gramps.ini. Look for "backup-path=" if you are not
sure where to find them.  Salvaging the last few of these may be
worthwhile. You can create a new empty database in your new gramps
install. Importing the most recent backup file will repopulate the
database.

If this were me, I would look for these backups and do an import of
the last backup into a new database. The raw database folders may be
an option if there are no backups.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Dave

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 8:21 PM Dionysis Boukouvalas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> My pc had a heart attack and I had to do a format and reinstall Windows.
> Thankfully, the system gave me the option to keep my old files while formating the hard drive. There is a folder in drive C called windows.old.
> Question is, what file am I looking for? I.e. in order to reload my family tree. And how do I import it to gramps?
> Thank you!
> Dionysis.
>

> Sign-up to my newsletter to receive videos and sound clips of my music, learn about upcoming events, releases etc:
> https://us8.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=11736ed8d72499dd403612316&id=de3e0619a8

Re: recover files after PC format

Dionysis Boukouvalas
Sorry I create another mail, but (this is an old issue) I cannot see the answer in my email client. In order to see it I have to go here:

Anyway, I was using version 4.2.6 so I guess no automatic backups (?)

I found the folder at c:\windows.old\users\%me%\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb
it is empty (no hidden files either).

I can find two files at [etc]\roaming\gramps
recent-files-gramps.xml
report_options.xml

are they of any consequence?

Also salvaged is the folder C:\Windows.old\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-4.2.6

Maybe something in there?

Thank you,
Dionysis.

P.S. Can you CC your answer to my personal email address too? That way I might be able to see it directly in my mail client?

Sign-up to my newsletter to receive videos and sound clips of my music, learn about upcoming events, releases etc:

Re: recover files after PC format

Dave Scheipers
Hi Dionysis

No, 4,2,6 does not have the automatic backup. Creating a backup is
dependent on the user.

Opening recent-files-gramps.xml should tell you which database was
opened and where it is/was stored.

I hope this has the file information. If grampsdb is empty, you must
have stored your database in a custom location.  Another way to try
finding the folder would be to do a search for certain files.

bdbversion.txt
citation.gbkp
event.gbkp

The .gbkp extension are the recovery backups of the database unique to
Gramps. There should be gbkp files for each area in gramps.  Find
these files and you find the folder.  Other than that, I do not know
what to do to help.

The program file folder is just that, the program files. It would be
easier to install a new copy of Gramps from
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases

Dave