reference to image back sides or image in general as source of information

reference to image back sides or image in general as source of information

Tobias Gehrig-2
Hi,
I have many pictures that have lots of information written on their back
sides. I wouldn't want to just add that information as note to the image
itself, but also add to the front side a reference to the back side.
Also when these informations indicate events, I would like to reference
the back side in the specific event.
I would like to know how others handle such things, like references to
information found on photographs or linking frontsides to their back
sides. Because adding a source for each image seems a bit much to me and
makes the list of sources very complex and confusing, but is probably
the way to go:-/.
For such cases as censuses one should add the images to the gallery of
the global census source as written in the wiki, but for single images
there is no such global source:-(. At most if one sets up a source like
"photographs collection" or something like that. But the problem is that
I cannot add an image to a reference specific gallery (there is not such
thing), but only to the global gallery of that source. Or am I just
thinking to complicated here?

MfG
        Tobias

Re: reference to image back sides or image in general as source of information

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:32:10 +0200
Tobias Gehrig <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Tobias,

> I would like to know how others handle such things, like references to
> information found on photographs or linking frontsides to their back
> sides. Because adding a source for each image seems a bit much to me
> and makes the list of sources very complex and confusing, but is
> probably the way to go:-/.

I tend to make source references as specific as possible.  Currently,
with 1327 names in GRAMPS, I have 1790 source references, for example.
No "1851 Census", for me.  I give the full Piece, Folio and Page
reference.  However, even I would suggest that splitting the photo
source reference into "Photo A, front" and "Photo A, back" is a little
excessive.

If you're scanning the pictures and using them in GRAMPS, it might be
an idea to join the two images (front and back) together, in The Gimp.
That way, you can see both sides at the same time.  It's what I would
do.

--
 Regards  _

Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out
Titanic (My Over) Reaction - 999

Re: reference to image back sides or image in general as source of information

Duncan Lithgow-2

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 13:55 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:32:10 +0200
> Tobias Gehrig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Tobias,
>
> > I would like to know how others handle such things, like references to
> > information found on photographs or linking frontsides to their back
> > sides. Because adding a source for each image seems a bit much to me
> > and makes the list of sources very complex and confusing, but is
> > probably the way to go:-/.
yes

> I tend to make source references as specific as possible.
agreed
>   Currently,
> with 1327 names in GRAMPS, I have 1790 source references, for example.
> No "1851 Census", for me.
I've split mine up by locality and always list the page numbers

>   I give the full Piece, Folio and Page
> reference.  However, even I would suggest that splitting the photo
> source reference into "Photo A, front" and "Photo A, back" is a little
> excessive.
yes, there's no trouble adding two images to one source.

> If you're scanning the pictures and using them in GRAMPS, it might be
> an idea to join the two images (front and back) together, in The Gimp.
> That way, you can see both sides at the same time.  It's what I would
> do.
Remember to use a lossless format like png for that. Not jpg.

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk